Question for anyone with fitness knowledge

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
As some of you know I have been trying to gain weight since july (I am 6'7 and got a little too enthusiastic with my cardio workouts, got down to 169lbs)

I have been taking a weight gainer shake and lifting weights in addition to my morning cardio. I have gained 26lbs so far which is good but I have gained so quick that I am adding fat too, which is not good.

This is what i posted on the weight lifting thread on the other forum today.

"So I am considering stopping my bulking up early. I have hit 195 for most of this week and that is only 5lbs under my goal of 200 by the end of the year. Thing is I am not happy with the gut and love handles I am starting to get. Everyone tells me I am crazy and that I look fine but I can tell. While I have gained 26lbs since july my bodyfat has went up from 6%-7% to about 11.5%. Its actually higher than that because I know my scale is not accurate but it gives me an idea of how much fat I have added regardless of the actual number.

I was going to keep going until the end of the year but I think I am going to cut my weight gain shake amount in half while still drinking the same amount of milk. That will cut about 350 calories out and since I am drinking the same amount of milk my body wont notice the difference and make me feel hungry.

does that sound senseable to you guys?"

Thing is, they all told me to keep my calories where they are and dont worry about adding fat. I dont know if that is good advice or if its because they are mostly powerlifters in that thread and believers of bulking up.

I do NOT want to get any fatter, but I also would like to get stronger and bigger.

I know its a lot of the same people here but I figured it could not hurt to get more opinions.

So what do you guys think?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
You lose weight easily. I wouldn't worry about a bit of a belly in your case.

What lifts are you doing? Can you post a pic of your gut?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Three times a week I do bench press, hexbar deadlift, bent over rows, over head press, and curls.

pictures? sigh, yeah I guess so. keep in mind that I am 42 and 6'7 and cut me a little slack. Also, vanity forced me to try to suck in my gut so there is that going on.

I realize it does not look like I am that fat but I am all soft in the middle of my stomach and i can feel the fat in the love handle area.
I do a lot of core work so there is muscle under there, I just need to cut back on the calories a little bit and burn off the fat.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I have my own PT business called New Image Personal Training and If you are truly serious about your goals I do online consulting and we can talk privately about setting up a program for you. I would recommend a 12-16 week program to start but we can go over all that if you are interested.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I have my own PT business called New Image Personal Training and If you are truly serious about your goals I do online consulting and we can talk privately about setting up a program for you. I would recommend a 12-16 week program to start but we can go over all that if you are interested.
I dont have any real "goals". I just want to be healthier and look better.

I appreciate the offer but I cant really afford anything like that now.

I am actually pretty happy with my routine right now. Between doing DDPyoga in the morning 6 days a week, lifting weights 3 evenings a week, and doing pull ups and chin ups the other 3 evenings a week I am working out about 9 to 9 and a half hours a week.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
In for learning. I am a retrad when it comes to lifting and putting on muscle but I'm pretty smart when it comes to diet. I've recently added a bunch of good clean calories to my diet so I can put on more weight. The majority of the food I'm eating is very protein dense, the question I have is probably dumb as fuck. If I'm eating clean and adding more calories hoping to add additional muscle gains (upping my workouts as well, especially the weight I lift) can the extra protein have a negative impact if I eat too much? An example of what I eat
Lean chicken breasts, tuna, salmon, avocado, raw veg, sugar free yogurt, nuts, tons of water, whey protein drink. I'm eating about 2500-3000 calories of this a day and I'm noticing weight gain as well as more strength. Am I doing this right? It seems like I am but anyone have anything I can add to this? Can too much protein be bad or will I just pass it through? Sorry that I am a noob.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I'm currently 192 lbs and in pretty good shape. I used to be as low as 170 (three months ago)and as high as 322 (two years ago). My bodyfat % is around 13-14 % the last time I got it checked by my doctor (September). I'd like to be 210 lbs with a bf % around 10%. I want to look good naked.

Milt

Jan 20, 2015
In for learning. I am a retrad when it comes to lifting and putting on muscle but I'm pretty smart when it comes to diet. I've recently added a bunch of good clean calories to my diet so I can put on more weight. The majority of the food I'm eating is very protein dense, the question I have is probably dumb as fuck. If I'm eating clean and adding more calories hoping to add additional muscle gains (upping my workouts as well, especially the weight I lift) can the extra protein have a negative impact if I eat too much? An example of what I eat
Lean chicken breasts, tuna, salmon, avocado, raw veg, sugar free yogurt, nuts, tons of water, whey protein drink. I'm eating about 2500-3000 calories of this a day and I'm noticing weight gain as well as more strength. Am I doing this right? It seems like I am but anyone have anything I can add to this? Can too much protein be bad or will I just pass it through? Sorry that I am a noob.
How many grams of protein are you consuming a day? Most would recommend 1 gram per lb. A lot of body builders consume 2 grams per lb of body weight.
As for damage, kidney stones are linked to too much protein intake as well as liver damage due to a prolonged state of ketosis. 100 grams of carbs a day will help you avoid ketosis. However, ketosis is where the fat melts off at an accelerated rate.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
How many grams of protein are you consuming a day? Most would recommend 1 gram per lb. A lot of body builders consume 2 grams per lb of body weight.
As for damage, kidney stones are linked to too much protein intake as well as liver damage due to a prolonged state of ketosis. 100 grams of carbs a day will help you avoid ketosis. However, ketosis is where the fat melts off at an accelerated rate.
About 200-250 grams a day. I will up my carbs then, I'll eat some sweet potatos for sure. I know it's better to eat carbs that have more fiber, do you have any suggestions? Thanks

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Dont listen to power lifters and body bulders. They can bulk up and shred down for competitions.
Average joe's (passives jay's) focussed on lifestyle and not comps is very different.
2 things to note. Bulking up quickly strains your tendons, ligaments and joints.
Once you get a fat cell, you cant really get rid of it, you can deplete it, but not get rid of it, which makes you far higher risk of putting that fat back on.

In short, yes, halve that protein shake (or get rid of it completly) and/or do more working out.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I dont have any real "goals". I just want to be healthier and look better.

I appreciate the offer but I cant really afford anything like that now.

I am actually pretty happy with my routine right now. Between doing DDPyoga in the morning 6 days a week, lifting weights 3 evenings a week, and doing pull ups and chin ups the other 3 evenings a week I am working out about 9 to 9 and a half hours a week.
What does your lifting routine consist of?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Bench press, hex bar deadlift, bent over row, overhead press, curls.

about all i can fit into the time i have for it.
That's perfect. I think you have it figured out - you're gaining weight but maybe too much around the belly (in your opinion), so you're in a calorie surplus. Therefore you want to cut back a bit on calories to drop the excess. Sounds like a plan.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
thanks for the advice everyone!

Its weird how perception works. Since I was so skinny when I started off when I look in the mirror now I feel kind of buff, but if I look at a picture of myself (like the ones I posted) I can tell that I am still very not buff. oh well, more work to do.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I always thought you were a bad looking 20 something guy but it turns out you're a good looking 42 man.

good work with the lifts you look just fine.