Question on poker for those who play it

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Is wearing sunglasses ok? Aren't your eyes a major part if the game? I don't play but I hate watching players with sunglasses, it is cheating to me.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Is wearing sunglasses ok? Aren't your eyes a major part if the game? I don't play but I hate watching players with sunglasses, it is cheating to me.
Makes no difference. The best players in the world don't wear sunglasses at the tables. The idea that you can tell if someone is bluffing by the looking into their eyes is a bunch of crap. You wear sunglasses or a hat pulled down low so that others can't see where you're looking. A tell is going to be more evident through someone's physical actions, even then once you're with experienced players it makes little difference. I've played quite a bit of poker and it irritates me too.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Ye people do shit that gives them up double glances at specific cards and the like but on the whole it's over played for importance betting patterns are a better tell with most players. People fall into patterns a lot of the time and bet similarly when they are playing x or y strategy..
There is a Russian dude I've seen on T.V who is hood up shades and only uses one hand to bet not moving anything else, he's like an annoying emaciated yoda, but a lot of very animated top players..

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Ye people do shit that gives them up double glances at specific cards and the like but on the whole it's over played for importance betting patterns are a better tell with most players. People fall into patterns a lot of the time and bet similarly when they are playing x or y strategy..
There is a Russian dude I've seen on T.V who is hood up shades and only uses one hand to bet not moving anything else, he's like an annoying emaciated yoda, but a lot of very animated top players..

To extrapolate on that, I like to go to local 1/2 games and play nothing but premium cards. Then start fiddling with my hair, or fidgeting in my seat when I hit my cards. It's like printing money, lol.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
To extrapolate on that, I like to go to local 1/2 games and play nothing but premium cards. Then start fiddling with my hair, or fidgeting in my seat when I hit my cards. It's like printing money, lol.
I only play friendly games but the boys are serious gamblers, not in a poker sense, they all bet on sports regularly though so it's lively enough.. I use the same thing even with them and it works even though they should know me.. People love to believe in tells.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Do you play that because you are naturally animated? That's why I do it just wondering if you came to the same conclusion??

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I only play friendly games but the boys are serious gamblers, not in a poker sense, they all bet on sports regularly though so it's lively enough.. I use the same thing even with them and it works even though they should know me.. People love to believe in tells.
Funny coincidence. I grew up around a lot of degenerate gamblers, and it's much the same. I'll gamble when the mood strikes me, but I know the money leaves just as quick (usually quicker) than it came. Three of my friends are great card players, the rest are just gamblers who will play cards, and they definitely don't have the patience for a game like poker.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Funny coincidence. I grew up around a lot of degenerate gamblers, and it's much the same. I'll gamble when the mood strikes me, but I know the money leaves just as quick (usually quicker) than it came. Three of my friends are great card players, the rest are just gamblers who will play cards, and they definitely don't have the patience for a game like poker.
Did you ever hear a story about how much they lost??? I'll give you 3 to 1 you never have lol... Ye it's a pastime for a lot of guys here before they leave school some of them get lost of course. I've only got two or three that know what they are doing as well.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Do you play that because you are naturally animated? That's why I do it just wondering if you came to the same conclusion??
In the instance I'm referring to, I do it because I know people are looking for physical tells that aren't there. At the card table, everyone thinks they're a profiler. They want to think they can read people from physical cues, which generally is a bunch of crap, but I give them the illusion that they're onto something. "Hey, he's all nervous and that was a big bet. He must be bluffing!!!" They don't bother to look at my betting patterns and notice that I wait until I have something worth investing in, and that I'm willing to fire all 3 barrels to protect my hand.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
In the instance I'm referring to, I do it because I know people are looking for physical tells that aren't there. At the card table, everyone thinks they're a profiler. They want to think they can read people from physical cues, which generally is a bunch of crap, but I give them the illusion that they're onto something. "Hey, he's all nervous and that was a big bet. He must be bluffing!!!" They don't bother to look at my betting patterns and notice that I wait until I have something worth investing in, and that I'm willing to fire all 3 barrels to protect my hand.
I know what you mean I do it myself, we play fairly similarly I think.

Edit- For instance a flush draw might cost someone there whole pot.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Did you ever hear a story about how much they lost??? I'll give you 3 to 1 you never have lol... Ye it's a pastime for a lot of guys here before they leave school some of them get lost of course. I've only got two or three that know what they are doing as well.
Total numbers? No, they couldn't possibly be tallied. Into the high hundreds of thousands if not millions over the years. Yes, I'm dead serious. I do know about some epic ones though. I've seen $60k lost on a hockey game, and a corvette lost at a card table.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Total numbers? No, they couldn't possibly be tallied. Into the high hundreds of thousands if not millions over the years. Yes, I'm dead serious. I do know about some epic ones though. I've seen $60k lost on a hockey game, and a corvette lost at a card table.
We live in different worlds I hear the stories about winning 700 or a Grand but nothing about the times they lost their dinner...