Rafael dos Anjos reveals UFC/Reebok fine was $10k

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos is a little lighter in the wallet.

Ahead of his Dec. 19 title defense to Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 17, Dos Anjos was seen wearing an Evolve MMA shirt before stepping on the scales to weigh in. Word came this week that Dos Anjos had been docked a "significant" amount by the UFC for violating the promotion's Athlete Outfitting Policy.

Speaking with MMAFighting.com on Wednesday, Dos Anjos revealed that sum to be $10,000.

As a champion, Dos Anjos earned $40,000 as per the UFC's outfitting agreement with Reebok. Cerrone made $30,000 as a title challenger.

LINK: Rafael dos Anjos fined $10,000 for wearing sponsor shirt at UFC on FOX 17 weigh-ins

Jonny Quest

Adventurer
Feb 12, 2015
Get rid of Reebok, pay them the difference back on their investment and chalk it up to a stupid move. Those generic Reebok shit kits bore the fuck out of me and steal money and individuality from the fighters. Fuck you Reebok and Zuffa.

Virtually Identical

Posting Machine
Jul 12, 2015
Outside of the fact of what a shitty deal it is when I see clips from the pre-reebok days they just look better. It wasn't a move that resulted in a better appearance or aesthetic. The look now is just so blah. It says nothing. I don't think it elevates the "sport" in any way.

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
He comes out richer in the end assuming Evolve made it worthwhile for him, they will get plenty of publicity from this.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Fuck Redbook. Fuck them in their ass.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yep, I gotta think they paid him more than 10k.
Not possible.

According to Uncle Dana, the Reebok deal keeps fighters like RDA from taking a bunch of shitty, small sponsorship deals with companies that won't even pay him, and replaces it with a single, large check that allows him to train free from the "trouble" of getting his own sponsors.

Based on all the information shared by our honest friends at Zuffa, RDA likely lost $9.900 on the Evolve deal (including fine).

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Even if a fighter had half a dozen low tier sponsors back in the day they would have done better than 2500 bucks.i miss the days of general fasteners and pretorian.the Reebok deal stole the soul out of the sport.it is so bland and uninspiring

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The whole Reebok thing is kind of a funny (if you're not one of the fighters taking it up the ass) throwback to the early days, when White/Fertittas were trying to get "mainstream acceptance" and did things like having Bruce Buffer read the names of "celebrities in attendance" off a card in the center of the ring, thinking that was how it was supposed to be done. That was funny/disturbing as hell.

They are still those guys, on a much bigger scale.