Raid on U.S.-Mexico drug tunnel: 22 arrests, at least 12 tons of pot seized

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

U.S. and Mexican authorities have discovered a cross-border drug tunnel linking warehouses in San Diego and Tijuana, the culmination of a six-month undercover investigation that resulted in the arrests of 22 suspected traffickers.

Mexican federal agents seized 10 tons of marijuana after a surprise raid Wednesday night at a cinder-block building that housed the opening of the tunnel. The raid was triggered after an undercover agent with the U.S. Tunnel Task Force met with two suspected traffickers at a restaurant in San Diego, according to the U.S. attorney’s office.

The agent, posing as a smuggler, previously had helped the men to transport dirt hauled out of the San Diego warehouse, prosecutors said. According to authorities, the suspects at the meeting discussed the logistics of moving a large drug load, indicating that a smuggling operation was imminent.

It was the first time the tunnel had been used to move a large quantity of drugs, officials said. “We see a super tunnel open for business once every year or so,” U.S. Atty. Laura Duffy said. “Just when they think they’re ready to move, we put it out of business.”

See the most-read stories this hour >>
The passageway stretched about 2,600 feet, which would make it one of the longest ever built under the U.S.-Mexico border, according to U.S. authorities. It had all the features of a sophisticated underground passageway: ventilation, a cart-and-rail system and lighting.

Like most such tunnels found in recent years, it was located in the light industrial neighborhood of Otay Mesa, an area congested with long-haul trucks and warehouses.

During their weeks-long surveillance of the facility, Mexican agents saw “intense movement” of trucks coming and going from the building, Mexico’s Interior Ministry said in a news release. The suspected traffickers gave up without a shot being fired.

Ranging in age from 21 to 50, the men told authorities that they worked for an organized crime group from the state of Jalisco — home to the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, a hyperviolent group that quickly has become one of the country’s strongest criminal syndicates. If true, its expansion into Tijuana would mark a serious shift of power in the city’s criminal underworld.

Most tunnels under the California border in recent years are believed to have been constructed by the Sinaloa drug cartel. Its leader, Joaquin “Chapo” Guzman, escaped through a tunnel from maximum security Mexican prison last summer.

The marijuana seized Wednesday had an estimated street value of nearly $6 million, authorities said. The tunnel was the 10th large scale passageway discovered in the area since 2006.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
How many of these legal dispensaries are government fronts where they sell weed seized in these raids? Surely not everything coming through those tunnels is that shitty $80 an ounce swag you get from Julio at the window tinting/car alarm/rim shop.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How many of these legal dispensaries are government fronts where they sell weed seized in these raids? Surely not everything coming through those tunnels is that shitty $80 an ounce swag you get from Julio at the window tinting/car alarm/rim shop.
I bet it is, the good weed is grown here and canadia

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
By my scientific calculations, drug tunnels are responsible for most of the seismic activity on the West coast.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Woopdeefuckingdo, the war on drugs......nice business model for a government(s). It's like watching border control or whatever that customs show I watched a few times.....they fucking spent 8 hours grilling this poor kid who they "suspected" of internally smuggling drugs because he looked nervous and was on a certain flight. After 8 hours and a doctor grilling him and warning him he was going to die from the drugs in his system, turns out he didn't have anything at all, the officer was disappointed that he wasn't carrying drugs, nice

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Woopdeefuckingdo, the war on drugs......nice business model for a government(s). It's like watching border control or whatever that customs show I watched a few times.....they fucking spent 8 hours grilling this poor kid who they "suspected" of internally smuggling drugs because he looked nervous and was on a certain flight. After 8 hours and a doctor grilling him and warning him he was going to die from the drugs in his system, turns out he didn't have anything at all, the officer was disappointed that he wasn't carrying drugs, nice
Such self important self righteous assholes.Just fucking X ray the kid and get on with it.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Such self important self righteous assholes.Just fucking X ray the kid and get on with it.
No, there has to be 4 or them saying "let me tell you what's going to happen" and looking at the kid with the "yeah, this kids a liar and a pos".....all while they are all getting fatter by the minute.......

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I see this as the government protecting a local American economy. Let them keep catching them ship that dirt weed here. This helps the US and Canadian growers.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm convinced the war on drugs is just pure laziness on the part of American government horiculturists.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Who smokes mexican weed anymore? They're all super dry and shitty. I wonder what they're going to do with all that weed they seized. These so called authorities have to drop their standards on weed quality. They don't get to keep that good quality cannabis from Cali dispensaries too much anymore, gonna have to manage with these shitty mexican weed.

BJTT_Pella

I want to go fishing.
Jun 25, 2015
Wait. I lived in SD for years. I visist often. Is that weed coming into or leaving the US. Lol why bring in weed? These guys got busted and lost that tunnel for weed. Chapo is gonna be pissed. Theres better uses for a tunnel than smuggling shitty weed. Another thing, i havent seen brick weed, or what we used to call it down there, Mec. As in coming from Mexico. That shit hasnt been around for years. There really is no market for importing weed. Especially into Cali. Cartels have switched from importing weed just like this, to growing it up by my moms house in Mendocino County.