Rape victim in India asked to balance heavy rock on head to prove her ‘purity’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

PHOTO: INDIA TODAY

A rape victim in India was asked to balance a 40kg rock on her head in order to ‘prove her purity’ and reside with her husband again.

The rape survivor, who became pregnant as a result of the attack and had been denied an abortion by Gujarat High Court in India, has to undergo a ritual, called ‘Agnipariksha‘. If she passes this ‘sanctity test’, she would be able to live with her husband again.

Speaking to India Today, the woman said she was living in fear and that her attacker had threatened to kill her when he gets released from prison.

Agnipariksha’, which means ‘test of fire’, is a traditional practice carried out in some parts of India because the virtue of women who have suffered sexual abuse is considered to be ‘tainted’. The practice has its foundation in the Hindu poem Ramayana, in which Sita was made to sit in the fire after she had been kidnapped by a suitor.

The treatment of women and rape victims in India has caused a global debate after the gang rape of a 23-year-old student on a Delhi bus in 2012.

A more recent case of the gang rape of a 71-year-old nun jolted India in March 2015. The nun was attacked late Friday after a gang of half a dozen robbers broke into a convent school in eastern West Bengal state and ransacked the premises.

The robbers gagged a security guard before assaulting the nun. They then entered the principal’s room and stole cash, a laptop and a mobile phone, according to police.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
This is so trash. I understand sexual conservative values, cursed with them myself but rape isn't a sexual crime; it's a hate crime. Will the 70 year old nun have to balance shit to become redeemed? Bullshit

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Some countries still live in the dark ages. I can't tell you how much I hate stupid people.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
If she can't support this 90lb rock on her head she must be lying

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Why the boulder isn't on the rapist's crotch is what I can't understand. Revolting.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
wtf?! how does balancing a 90-lb rock prove anything? what's wrong with the husband?