Rapper Vocabulary Breakdown

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
Rappers, ranked by the number of unique words used in their lyrics:

For the full breakdown check it out here: Rappers, sorted by the size of their vocabulary

A few interesting notes:

#1 - Aesop Rock

When I first published this analysis, I excluded Aesop Rock, figuring he was too obscure. The Reddit hip hop community was in uproar, claiming Aesop would absolutely be #1. Sure enough, Aesop Rock is well-above every artist in my dataset and I was obliged to add him to the chart. In fact, his datapoint is so far to the right that he should be off the chart (I'm lazy and didn't adjust the scale).

#2, #6, #7, #9, #20, and #23 - wu-tang clan aint nothin ta fuck wit - Wu Tang Clan has a larger vocabulary than Shakespeare

Wu-Tang Clan at #6 is fucking impressive given that 10 members, with vastly different styles, are equally contributing lyrics. Add the fact that GZA, Ghostface, Raekwon, and Method Man's solo works are also in the top 20 – notably, GZA at #2. Perhaps their countless hours of studio time together (and RZA’s mentorship) exposed each rapper’s vocabulary to one another.

#67, #68, #71, and #72 - snoop dogg, 2pac, Kanye west, and lil wayne

Some of the biggest names in hip hop were in the bottom 20%. While Lil Wayne has never been celebrated for the complexity of his word choices, I expected 2pac, Snoop, and Kanye to be well above average.

It's also worth noting that Drake, one of the most popular artists of late, is #83 on this list.

#85 - DMX

At #85 and in last place: DMX. But this shouldn't undermine an artist whose raw energy and honesty were the most memorable qualities of his music.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
Metalface Doom and redman indubitably putting in work.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Pretty interesting!! Not surprised by some of the lower variety rappers. GAH why God, why did you punish your children with Drake!!!???

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
Did they miss B.I.G or am I mistaken?
Not enough solo material to be included in their statistics.

"35,000 words covers 3-5 studio albums and EPs. I included mixtapes if the artist was just short of the 35,000 words. Quite a few rappers don’t have enough official material to be included (e.g., Biggie, Kendrick Lamar)."

P

Punch

Not enough solo material to be included in their statistics.

"35,000 words covers 3-5 studio albums and EPs. I included mixtapes if the artist was just short of the 35,000 words. Quite a few rappers don’t have enough official material to be included (e.g., Biggie, Kendrick Lamar)."
Huh. Makes more sense now i suppose.

hit4me4

Given out tokes like it ain't no thing
Oct 24, 2015
The first person I thought of when I started reading this was Canibus. He just makes up words and puts it with a random word he found in the dictionary. Some of his shit you don't even know what the hell is is saying.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Does "unique words" mean words that they made up? If so, why is that something that should be celebrated? I would think intelligent vocabulary, perhaps inserting another word besides nigga in every line, would be a better study to do. Yes I am white.

TheContinentalOp

Posting Machine
Mar 30, 2015
Does "unique words" mean words that they made up? If so, why is that something that should be celebrated? I would think intelligent vocabulary, perhaps inserting another word besides nigga in every line, would be a better study to do. Yes I am white.
If you want intelligent vocabulary just check out some of Aesop Rock's stuff (the guy who is 'off the charts' on the above list)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6XhlO7nRa4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mwme-8NgJY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6_4LNZPDo

M

member 3289

I don't know if Biggie would be high on the chart but I'd still like to see it just because he's my favorite rapper ever.

When you listen to this verse you can't help but get chills, or at the very least appreciate the guy and his amazing talent:

All my life I've been considered as the worst
Lying to my mother, even stealing out her purse
Crime after crime, from drugs to extortion
I know my mother wished she got a fuckin abortion
She don't even love me like she did when I was younger
Suckin on her chest just to stop my fuckin hunger
I wonder if I died, would tears come to her eyes?
Forgive me for my disrespect, forgive me for my lies