Raquel Pennington's corner sent her to be KO'd after she was done

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

When a fighter says they are done the fight is over. Mentally there is no coming back from that as you have already admitted defeat.
Nah fuck that die in the cage if you have to.

There is a fucking championship on the line.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Will be interesting to see the fallout between her and her corner. I have to imagine there will always be some lingering trust issues on Rocky’s side and some hesitancy from her corner moving forward.

Dirty Harry Potter

The smartass formerly known as Geezer
Apr 5, 2018
Will be interesting to see the fallout between her and her corner. I have to imagine there will always be some lingering trust issues on Rocky’s side and some hesitancy from her corner moving forward.
Seems like there was already some sort of ...not being on the same page...I don't know .
I would expect if someone didn't want to finish a fight , they'd simply not go out for the round.
Maybe I know nothing, but I'd think that a person is their own boss in this situation, and if they
reeeeealy didn't want to fight, they'd just not freaking fight. If it was me, I'd sit there, and they
could shout all they wanted to for me to get in, while I started thinking about who to replace
them with . BUt it all depends on the chemistry and relationships; whether it's a pep talk, or
sending someone out who's very hurt and shouldn't take any more damage . Like I just said, I don't know.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
People forget that Jack Hermansson was way more injured and beaten down than Rocky was, and he went out that 3rd round and scored comeback of the year.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Doubt it. I say when all the damage heals she'll be happy she went out on her shield instead of quitting in the corner.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Not really a fan of watching women get the shit kicked out of them.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I've sent someone back out after they told me they were done. In my case they were having a mental breakdown so I slapped sense into him and he got the RNC finish. But you have to know. In this case, the corner probably assumed it was mental when she said she wanted out. If there's time, you ask. If physical, you get your fighter out of there, even though it will probably mean the end of their career in that promotion.

I met Raquel's family briefly at a UFC in NY so I felt bad seeing her get beat down. So did Amanda it seemed.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Here is my issue, its not that the corner made her go out for that 5th round, hey sometimes fighters get in there and just start battling like Hendo and Shogun round 5 when Hendo wanted out.

My issue is Raquel told her corner she was done, they sent her out, fine okay, but once she tells you that and you send her out and then you say during the 5th round she wants nothing to do with being there, has a broke nose that is getting targerted and just getting lit up, fucking A throw in the towel

So its not that they had her go out for the 5th that was a fuck up, it was that when they did go out for the 5th round and she clearly wanted no part of it, they just let her get beat on, that is when you throw in the towel.

And no one should ever bring up Conor, what the fuck, he tapped a few times in fights there is no difference between tapping and being so hurt you can't continue, both are giving up and no one should get any shit for giving up in that scenario.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
And no one should ever bring up Conor, what the fuck, he tapped a few times in fights there is no difference between tapping and being so hurt you can't continue, both are giving up and no one should get any shit for giving up in that scenario.
Big difference between tapping when you're in a submission about to go to sleep, and sitting on your stool not wanting to go back in there.

It's not like Rocky was seriously injured - fighters have been battling through broken noses forever. She wasn't hurt to the point where she couldn't continue.

Dead Again

Oct 10, 2017
My take on tapping to submissions:

Sometimes you get caught, and there is no shame in tapping. It isn't the same as quitting.

That being said, sometimes a fighter will let himself fall into a submission as a way of taking the easy way out. You're getting pouded and you just turn around, neck extended hoping for the merciful RNC. The RNC seems to be the preferred submission of choice for fighters looking for an out. Not that people can't get caught in a legit RNC, but when you see fighters that want an out....that's the easiest one. IMO, that's quitting. You don't want to be there anymore, you let someone sink it in, you don't defend it at all, and you tap quick.

So tapping to submissions, you really have to look at the specific fight to see if someone quit, or if they just got caught.

Dead Again

Oct 10, 2017
We've seen it time and time again where a fighter thinks they are done, then the corner sends them out again and they get a finish. I have no problem with them sending her out again. The last thing a corner wants is for their fighter to quit and get that into their mindset. I don't see a brokenness as a reason for the corner to think a fight needs to be stopped.
I don't doubt you, but I'd like some examples of fighters who said they were done and went out there and got a finish, or even just won. I've been racking my brain and I can't think of a time.

Well, except for when Ali quit on the stool against Smokin Joe, but Ali never had to go back out there to get that win. Just got lucky Joe's corner threw in the towel.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
The people that know best are Rocky and her corner. Every fighter is different and for all we know, Rocky may have these kinds of moments in training all the time and she relies on her coach to get her through it.

You could have a corner throw in the towel when their fighter says they've had enough and have that fighter in the future say "why the fuck did you let me quit? You're there to motivate me, why didn't you help me get through that?"

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Big difference between tapping when you're in a submission about to go to sleep, and sitting on your stool not wanting to go back in there.

It's not like Rocky was seriously injured - fighters have been battling through broken noses forever. She wasn't hurt to the point where she couldn't continue.

First of all tapping and not coming out for the round is giving, different ways of giving up but its giving and don't get it twisted.

2nd of all, why would you post part of my quote and not the entire quote and not give the context of what I am saying

My full quote states that my issue was not that the corner let her go out for the 5th round, the issue is Raquel said she was done, they got her to go out for the 5th, then Raquel was simply being battered, they should have thrown in the towel in the 5th round way before ref had to intervene, Raquel took way too much damage round 5 that she never should have taken

If my fighter is saying they are done, okay as a trainer or cornerman I admit I might also try to motivate them to go out for that last round, but once they go out and they have nothing and just taking damage, you go to throw in the damn towel fast, like 30 to 40 seconds into the round the corner should have thrown in the towel.

That is my issue, and I believe that strongly and with conviction in spades

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
First of all tapping and not coming out for the round is giving, different ways of giving up but its giving and don't get it twisted.

2nd of all, why would you post part of my quote and not the entire quote and not give the context of what I am saying

My full quote states that my issue was not that the corner let her go out for the 5th round, the issue is Raquel said she was done, they got her to go out for the 5th, then Raquel was simply being battered, they should have thrown in the towel in the 5th round way before ref had to intervene, Raquel took way too much damage round 5 that she never should have taken

If my fighter is saying they are done, okay as a trainer or cornerman I admit I might also try to motivate them to go out for that last round, but once they go out and they have nothing and just taking damage, you go to throw in the damn towel fast, like 30 to 40 seconds into the round the corner should have thrown in the towel.

That is my issue, and I believe that strongly and with conviction in spades
Well my view is that what a fighter feels in a moment of weakness might not be the right feeling and what they do may not be the right choice.

Pennington has come out and said that she's glad her coach talked her into going out for the last round, so I believe the right choice was made.

And I guess yes, they could have thrown the towel, but the ref stopped it fairly quick after she turtled so it wouldn't have did anything, the real damage had already been done.

It's a fight, get over your notions of what "should" happen and accept that at times there are bigger losers than winners in it all.

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Well my view is that what a fighter feels in a moment of weakness might not be the right feeling and what they do may not be the right choice.

Pennington has come out and said that she's glad her coach talked her into going out for the last round, so I believe the right choice was made.

And I guess yes, they could have thrown the towel, but the ref stopped it fairly quick after she turtled so it wouldn't have did anything, the real damage had already been done.

She took a big load of punishment, the better part of it, on her smashed nose. Way too much damage in that round, corner was not wrong to get her to go out for rd.5 but they where wrong for not throwing in the towel 30 seconds or so in. FoSho