Rare & backstage pics from the first UFC - The story of how it happened (LONG)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Alright... so, I said I'd be posting up some of the rare pics I have from my various collection of books, photos and magazines related to MMA. Most of the stuff, as far as I know and as far as searches have shown me, has not been put online yet (though, I'm sure some have at one point or another, I cannot access any easily).

Many of the books that the pics come from are long out of print and very expensive (such as the Gracie Way). There are many other photos floating around online from the very first UFC - the press conference, the lead up and fights themselves. However, the majority of the ones below are not online and come from inside the pages of said books.

Sorry that it's taken me a bit thus far, but unfortunately I am having trouble with my scanner on Windows 7...I hope to get it done by tomorrow. ANYWAY, earlier tonight I was going through some of this stuff and it was just so great I had to share.

Instead of scanning, I did my best to use my shitty cell phone (I don't own a smart phone, you yuppies) and get as clear (as possible) of pics to share in a little preview of what I'll be blogging on here. I have dozens of these sorta pics. Not just UFC 1 stuff - that is mostly taken from two books, Art Davie's, and the Gracie Way - but I am in the process of reading those 2 and the pics are something to behold.

I encourage you to share any pictures you have from the the first UFC (or any early, rare NHB pics) in the posts below. It would be great to turn this into a thread into a large collection of the best pics from the old days.

If you enjoy the read, please leave a comment letting me know what you think, as well as any suggestions you have and what else you'd like to see! Let's help this board to keep growing.

EDIT: As I started adding the pics, this turned into an article/retrospective writing of the first UFC and how it took place.

Scanning, posting and explaining all of the pics just brought it out, as I find the first UFC to be such a fascinating moment in history. If you take the time to read this, I salute you... and I do not think you will regret it.

Again, to anyone who reads and digs - replies and bumps are much appreciated. I did put a lot of time and effort into compiling/writing this. I hope both new and old fans alike can get some good info and fun out of this. Anyway....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very first poster/design for what eventually became the UFC - Art Davie and Rorion Gracie's "War of the Worlds". It's not a well known fact that, before the Ultimate Fighting Championship moniker was coined, the title of the first event went through many changes. The above poster's artistic design was a nod to Greek Pankration, the Olympic sport combining boxing and wrestling thousands of years ago - recognized as the earliest form of combat resembling modern day MMA. Listed underneath the fighters (one wearing a gi, one wearing boxing trunks) was a list of styles represented in the tournament.

Though eventually deciding upon the UFC name, the company behind the UFC, owned by Davie and Rorion, was still called "WOW Promotions" until Rorion sold his stake in the UFC after their 5th event. You can see WOW Promotions written on the checks given to Royce after he wins the tournaments in each event.

Another early concept, this was the title for what would was inching closer to becoming the UFC - "The World's Best Fighter". In Art Davie's book, there are multiple copies of rejection faxes and letters sent to him by ESPN, FOX and others, rejecting his idea for "the World's Best Fighter" to air on their network.

Fortunately, before everything went forward, the name that has become synonymous with the sport in America was chosen...

The Ultimate Fighting Championship... or, simply, the UFC. To millions who don't know better, those 3 letters are the sport of MMA. Shown above is the poster made for the very first UFC. Though many believe the original poster for the first event is the image that is found on the VHS cover, this was in fact the original image and design used in promotion of the inaugural UFC.

Since the event hadn't taken place yet, no photos existed of combatants in the Octagon to use. Instead, a still image of an in ring Vale Tudo match from the Gracie Challenge tapes was settled on - notice the ropes, instead of a cage..

This is the very first piece of promotional material distributed by SEG and WOW to let the masses know the UFC was coming. Above is the full page ad put into Black Belt, and many other magazines at the time, advertising the show on pay per view.

These were sent out before all of the fighters were signed/locked down to compete in the event, which is why it does not feature any names. It also features an alternate shot from the Gracie in Action tapes as the background image.

Here are some of the early first sketches done by Art Davie, showcasing the brainstorming and initial ideas he had for the area that the fights would take place in.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015

With 24 hours until showtime, a press conference was held. You can see the original posters in the background. From left to right is Campbell McLaren (SEG), Jim Brown and Ken Shamrock.

A little bonus piece of trivia: notice behind the fighter's, the Gold's Gym logo is on a banner?

Well, Gold's Gym was set to be the UFC's first big sponsor... IF the first event went well. Gold's CEO and his wife both attended the first show. As the electricity and anticipation ran high during the first fight of the night, they were all in... That is, however, until the kick heard round the world ended with Gerard Gordeau knocking Teila Tuli's teeth into the front row, flying past them.

Shortly after the press conference took place, an event that almost prevented the UFC from ever taking place unfolded, less than 24 hours prior to start time. The infamous rules meeting, where Rorion and Davie attempted to explain and outline exactly what everyone had gotten themselves into and how everything was going to go the next day once the cage door shut.

Before this happened, nobody was quite 100% sure that this was going to be the real deal. That they had signed up for a legit, anything goes, full on no holds barred fight. Ken Shamrock later said to Dave Meltzer "until we saw that first PPV fight on the monitors, back stage, we were not convinced this wasn't going to end up being a work. When Gordeau hit Tuli with that kick, every single person who signed on the dotted line had their stomach sink. We knew we were in for a real fight, and no one knew how we they'd come out of this thing".

Tempers were flaring as traditional martial artist standup fighters demanded groin strikers, claiming that forbidding them put them at a disadvantage. Some argued that wrapping the fists was completely unfair and should not be allowed, while others (like boxer Art Jimmerson) demanded he be permitted to do so. These are just a few examples of a rules meeting that was so chaotic, the men nearly came to blows at that very moment.

In a dramatic moment, the largest man in the room, who had been sitting silently and observing everything from his seat, stood up and put a stop to everything with one powerful statement. After Teila Tuli rose to his feet, he slammed his fist onto the table, and exclaimed "I don't know about any of you, but I came here to fight. I'll see you in there tomorrow, if you have the guts to show up".

He then signed the waiver given to all participants at the rules meeting, and everybody stood in stunned silence. One after another, each man signed the paper and there was not a single argument over how things would go from that point forth. There were two rules that would become famous: no biting and no eye gouging.... Anything else goes.

After the rules meeting and press conference were over, fighters took the chance to meet some of the competitors they would possibly go up against the next day. Some posed for photos before departing in wait for what lay ahead.

In the first photo, we have:

UFC 1 tournament semi finalist Kevin Rosier

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (famous kickboxing champion and lead commentator for UFC 1, perhaps most well known for burping into the microphone during the PPV opening, while introducing the Ultimate Fighting "Challenge"

Charlie Anzalone, one of the most important figures in early NHB, who did a lot for this sport

The second photo features Sumo fighter Teila Tuli and his family/training partners

Thirdly:

The man who was originally set to represent the Gracie family in UFC 1, Rickson Gracie (who trained Royce for the first 2 events)

Gold's Gym Worldwide CEO Pete Grymkowski... who was scared off for reasons mentioned above

Rickson's wife Kim

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015

One of the few photos that actually exist from backstage of the very first UFC as fighters prepared to walkout mere minutes later. Pictured wrapping Kevin Rosier's hands is legendary boxing cutman Sam Solomon.

The fights themselves were about to begin, and both fighting and martial arts would be changed forever over the course of the next few hours.

Teila Tuli, dejected, after the brutal standing knockout he suffered to Gordeau in the first mixed martial arts fight American TV viewers had ever laid eyes upon.. and what an impression it made.

Kevin Rosier, the out of shape and semi retired American WKA Kickboxer (who sent Davie 5 year old photos from his fighting prime in his application) stomps out Zane Frazier as the towel is thrown in, ending what was the most brutal fight of the night. Rather than a display of martial artistry, the fight resembled more of a wild, brawling street fight, that ended just as violently.

Above: UFC champion and the man who changed the way people saw martial arts forever - Royce Gracie - throwing a
textbook "Pisao", the front kick taught in Gracie Jiu Jitsu, at #10 ranked boxer Art Jimmerson

Middle: Gracie walks away from the fallen Ron Van Clief (originally I made the mistake of writing that this was Pat Smith, but the error was noticed by the one and only JEREMY FUCKING HORN on the UG!)

Bottom: Helio, Rickson, Relson and Royce Gracie, along with Royce's girlfriend Marianne in the cage celebrating after winning the tournament, proudly displaying the medal and classic 1990s over sized check awarded to the winner. As they smiled for the camera's departing shots, joy and relief washed over the family of the new champion. Helio later said that Royce winning the first UFC tournament was the proudest moment of his life.

We all know what UFC 1 meant, the impact it had and what the UFC's legacy has become to this day. Although the commentators were essentially clueless throughout the entire event, a quote from Jim Brown at the end of the broadcast, shortly after Royce's victory, sums up the whole thing perfectly:

"Tonight, we learned that fighting is not what we thought it was"

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Anyway guys, if any of you take the time to read and check out the pics, thank you. While writing this up and scanning/posting the pics, my thoughts on the historic and amazing event that was UFC 1 and how it came about just sort of flowed out naturally. I didn't mean for this to read like an article or anything, but I couldn't help formatting it the way it did. Obviously it's a bit long for a message board post, but I hope that you old school guys really dig taking a trip down memory lane, while viewing some rare shots you may have never seen before.

Again, the photos aren't the clearest in the world, but pics of pics taken simply as a preview of some of the things I hope to upload and share soon. Obviously not every fight/fighter is included above, since again, this is just a sampling of what I hope to get online at some point soon. If I used Google to search and add a bunch of other pics to the narrative, that'd be cool, but I wanted to keep this at pics most people (even some old schoolers) had not seen. Once I use my scanner, the stuff will be quite a bit clearer, high resolution and awesome.

I encourage you guys to use this thread to share your knowledge of the inaugural UFC - from stories, to interviews and most importantly, PICTURES... Google is fine, any resource possible, but it'd be pretty great IMO if this could end up being a mega thread filled with the history of the original UFC.

As a side note, I have to say.. If you want to know the entire story of first UFC from the man who was responsible for it, Art Davie's book "Is This Legal? The Inside Story of the UFC From the Man Who Created It" is a MUST buy. Seriously, this is top 5, maybe even top 3 books out there related to the sport. A lot of the pics above come from there. You will NOT regret the purchase. It's easily found on Google, so check it out.

... PS, I had taken a few other random photos (mostly from the Gracie Way) when I was doing this, that I figured I'd share. They just weren't related to the first UFC, so I wanted to put them in a separate post. I will rescan these soon, too, for good quality.

Rickson Gracie leaping over the ropes and into the ring at PRIDE 4 in Japan

Gracie Black Belt Ed O'Neill (I mean, Al Bundy!) messing around with Helio at his 90th birthday party

A scan of a comic featured in a national Brazilian newspaper, created after Helio Gracie offered a million dollar challenge to heavyweight boxing champ Joe Louis to meet in a Vale Tudo fight. Obviously this never happened, but Helio had went to the media and issued the challenge publicly... Imagine how different the course of combat sports history could have been, had this taken place?

That's all I've got for now. Hope it helped you all enjoyed it, and that it helped to pass some time, reading and viewing the photos.

One more time, if you have any awesome old school pics to post... Please do

Peace

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Can't wait to see the full blog that you write on this, Galanis. I was 22 years old when UFC 1 went down, and remember sitting there watching this little guy massacre these guys twice his size...and thinking "how is this possible?" I have been hooked ever since.

Last edited:

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks man! Once I get more UFC 1 pics online, I'm going to expand this post (and replace the cell pics with scans) and try to go in depth on every single fight in the cage and every single moment that happened out of it, before and after

I think you'll really enjoy the read (and it's honestly not that long), plus those pics, which are not online! After you have the chance to go through it, leme know what you think :) This is the first time I put this much effort into something like this to post on a forum and I hope people can enjoy it and read it in full

You're the man dude. Again, THANK YOU for making this site.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Sorry guys. The fucking images used up too much bandwidth (Lol, the thread got 10,000 views in 10 hours on the UG) so I had to rehost the pics

I'll edit this and fix it up tonight. Looks like I'm in for an all nighter considering how late it is already and how early I gotta get up. So... Plenty of time on my hands, I'm in it for the long haul haha

AND PS... Expect some awesome/serious surprise content coming to the site soon! As a hint... INTERVIEWS! With who ya shall find out.. but TMMAC is about to get a whole lot bigger and better.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
To get a job in MMA in ANY capacity would be a dream come true for me. I can't wait to start writing on a regular basis for this site. Life is a little weird right now, and some setbacks happen, but I really need something productive to do. It'd be great to put all my extra/free time and energy into more writing.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Galanis;n32639 said:
To get a job in MMA in ANY capacity would be a dream come true for me. I can't wait to start writing on a regular basis for this site. Life is a little weird right now, and some setbacks happen, but I really need something productive to do. It'd be great to put all my extra/free time and energy into more writing.
I look forward to you writing some blogs here Galanis. To be so young, you're wise beyond your years when it comes to MMA history.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
You can just sense the tension that Rosier was feeling in that pic from backstage getting his hands wrapped.

It would be scary going in there not knowing what the hell was going to happen.

was somebody really going to die?

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
teamquestnorth;n33112 said:
You can just sense the tension that Rosier was feeling in that pic from backstage getting his hands wrapped.

It would be scary going in there not knowing what the hell was going to happen.

was somebody really going to die?
Dude, I know.... BTW, obviously since we were talking about this in the book thread... Quite a lot of those pics I posted are from Art Davie's book. Like I said it's a must buy..If you think this thread was cool, his book is 10000x better than anything I could write, lol.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
How in the hell did I miss you posting this?

GREAT thread Galanis. I've read it twice back to back.