General Rate my cover letter

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
So, I'm looking for a new job. I found a place on Craigslist that looks intriguing, and the posting says 'Include you're favorite movie, we'd like to know a little bit about you'. No one on earth can honestly narrow it down to one movie, so this was what I have written before my resume'. Is it too much?

It's too hard to name a single favorite movie. Movies that would be in the conversation would be The Shawshank Redemption, Bloodsport (I always wanted to be a ninja as a kid), the original Red Dawn (I refuse to acknowledge any Hollywood money grab remakes), The Princess Bride, Big Trouble in Little China, Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie, although I will watch The Christmas Story all day when they have the marathon, for comedies I'd go with We're the Millers or Airplane!, for musicals I feel that the quintessential "Chicago movie" is The Blues Brothers, and I will admit that I can't pass up Bring It On or Mean Girls if they are on as they are my favorite guilty pleasure movies. If we want to bring TV shows into the mix, I believe The Simpsons is the greatest show of all time, also a big fan of Archer, but if we are talking live action as opposed to animation I would also have to bring up Breaking Bad, Parks and Recreation, The League, and Married With Children.

For the last few months I have been doing flooring, but I'm not really a fan of working on my knees, laying Pergo or cutting tile. So, I am looking to get back into the restaurant industry, which is where I am most comfortable. I have more than ample fine dining experience, worked with a wide variety of POS, great product knowledge, and an impeccable table side demeanor. In addition to the restaurants on the resume I have also opened The Park Grill, Fulton's on the River, and David Burke's Primehouse in The James Hotel. I enjoy openings because you have to have an organic environment and must be able to be flexible enough to change on the move to accommodate any unforeseen circumstance that inevitably will arise, and I believe that really helps developing bonds with co-workers as you deal with such things. The opening crew always is the tightest group in any restaurant, as they have dealt with the unexpected as a team, and teamwork is undeniably paramount. Please contact me if I strike you as a viable candidate.

What do you think?

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
POS = Point of Service (where you put the order in) not Piece of Shit. JFYI

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I would think about switching the order of the two paragraphs, so the work related stuff is first.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Your application does not quite reflect your forum persona. I thought you strived to be this super-honest guy. ;)

That being said, I would cut the secondary sentence in the beginning of the second paragraph. Its negative, which shouldn't be in it, and really, I doubt they will care what you do not like about an unrelated job. Rather write why you want to get back into the restaurant shiz as a positive reason.

Didn't quite read the first paragraph cause it seemed like one big long sentence to me, with confusing punctuation. Maybe give it a little different form if you care.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Your application does not quite reflect your forum persona. I thought you strived to be this super-honest guy. ;)

That being said, I would cut the secondary sentence in the beginning of the second paragraph. Its negative, which shouldn't be in it, and really, I doubt they will care what you do not like about an unrelated job. Rather write why you want to get back into the restaurant shiz as a positive reason.

Didn't quite read the first paragraph cause it seemed like one big long sentence to me, with confusing punctuation. Maybe give it a little different form if you care.
I am honest. Yet there is a difference between professional honesty and personal honesty.

Example: Someone asks me what I think of an attractive female coworker. Honest answer number 1 is "She's cool, does her job, and customers like her because she's hot." Not a single word of dishonesty there.

The answer in my head is how I would love to lick her asshole.

Professionalism requires literary moderation.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
You should be swimming in job offers and waitress pussy by 3:50 this afternoon based on that first paragraph alone.

Yuki Nakai's Eye

Slow in the head, Quick in bed
Sep 2, 2015
They don't give a shit about a list of movies you like they want your explanation for why you like one. This is a way to thin herd - which applicants answer a direct question and which are the kind to give essay length indirect answers. They've probably matched your writing style to these forums. I don't think you got the job, bud.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
What about this Mix6APlix @Mix6APlix?

I have recently been working in the home renovation industry, but I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the wear and tear it places on one's body. Therefore, I am looking to re-enter the restaurant business, which is where I am most comfortable anyway. I have significant fine dining experience, having worked with a wide variety of POS. I also offer extensive product knowledge, and impeccable table side demeanor. In addition to the restaurants listed below, I have also opened The Park Grill, Fulton's on the River, and David Burke's Primehouse in The James Hotel. I enjoy openings due to the organic environment and flexibility it requires. One must be capable of adapting to unforeseen circumstances that will inevitably arise, while still accommodating the customer in a professional manner. I also believe this helps form bonds with co-workers. as they experience these things together. Please contact me if I strike you as a viable candidate. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

To the point, but still highlights the points you're trying to convey IMO. I'd remove the first paragraph if it were me.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
What about this Mix6APlix @Mix6APlix?

I have recently been working in the home renovation industry, but I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the wear and tear it places on one's body. Therefore, I am looking to re-enter the restaurant business, which is where I am most comfortable anyway. I have significant fine dining experience, having worked with a wide variety of POS. I also offer extensive product knowledge, and impeccable table side demeanor. In addition to the restaurants listed below, I have also opened The Park Grill, Fulton's on the River, and David Burke's Primehouse in The James Hotel. I enjoy openings due to the organic environment and flexibility it requires. One must be capable of adapting to unforeseen circumstances that will inevitably arise, while still accommodating the customer in a professional manner. I also believe this helps form bonds with co-workers. as they experience these things together. Please contact me if I strike you as a viable candidate. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

To the point, but still highlights the points you're trying to convey IMO. I'd remove the first paragraph if it were me.
Nice, bit too late. Already have an interview for tomorrow.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
They don't give a shit about a list of movies you like they want your explanation for why you like one. This is a way to thin herd - which applicants answer a direct question and which are the kind to give essay length indirect answers. They've probably matched your writing style to these forums. I don't think you got the job, bud.
I think they just want to see if they can form a sentence. He impressed by showing off his ability to form paragraphs.

I am honest. Yet there is a difference between professional honesty and personal honesty.

Example: Someone asks me what I think of an attractive female coworker. Honest answer number 1 is "She's cool, does her job, and customers like her because she's hot." Not a single word of dishonesty there.

The answer in my head is how I would love to lick her asshole.

Professionalism requires literary moderation.
This is one of the best responses I have read on here ever.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
POS = Point of Service (where you put the order in) not Piece of Shit. JFYI
I thought POS stood for "point-of-sale" in retail, maybe so.
What's point of service refer to in your field?
(Edit, please disregard, I actually read your post and processed it)

Good write-up.
I'd just stick with the movie part & junk the rest ;)