Really good interview w/ Rogan by Stephie Haynes (Crooklyn)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

A few weeks ago, I interviewed my good friend and UFC commentator, Joe Rogan for the second time this year. Typically, we do these massive interviews once a year, but 2015 was huge for MMA, and had a ton of major changes, both good and bad, so we decided to do a recap of sorts. As is our standard, we got on the phone and almost three hours later, we wrapped up a fantastic conversation.

I will be releasing this in several parts over the next two weeks. In this first segment, we revisit one of the biggest fight stories of the year, Ronda Rousey's tumble from the top. We discuss the backlash from fans, her meteoric rise to super stardom, the technical aspects of the fight, Edmond Tarverdyan's questionable cornering, what the loss could mean moving forward, advice for moving forward in the public eye and changes to be made in her training regimen.

Part I: Revisiting Ronda Rousey's first career loss & the aftermath

Backlash after loss

"I was shocked, but it does make sense, given the way she behaved sometimes and even her walkout song, I don't give a damn about my reputation. She wears that on her sleeve. Not touching gloves with Holly Holm and yelling at her during the weigh-ins...there's gonna be backlash if you lose. America loves winners, but they also love it when you're a winner and you fall on your face. They just love it.

The Ronda Rousey story in a lot of ways is a classic tale. It's a tale of a legend and a tale of falling into all of the traps that have come before that we've seen from famous celebrities and athletes. Everything except drugs... she fell for the distractions. When you're an athlete, especially a combat sports athlete, that stoic existence, that singular focus on the task, is one of the most under-appreciated aspects of training and becoming a successful fighter.

I think, for sure, Ronda had that earlier in her career when she had nothing else to fall back on, but now, she's just overrun with distractions. She's overrun with accolades, too, and I'm guilty, 100%, of that."

Read the entire thing here: Interview: Joe Rogan Part I: Revisiting Ronda Rousey's first career loss & the aftermath

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I think the last paragraph is particularly important if Ronda is going to regain her title.

I agree with most of his major points too. First she needs to figure out if continuing to fight is the right thing to do at this point. If so, she needs to focus on fighting rather than all this other BS. Part of that should include working with other coaches. Ideally, someone who runs her camp properly. Hume and Zahabi are good suggestions.

P

Punch

I think the last paragraph is particularly important if Ronda is going to regain her title.

I agree with most of his major points too. First she needs to figure out if continuing to fight is the right thing to do at this point. If so, she needs to focus on fighting rather than all this other BS. Part of that should include working with other coaches. Ideally, someone who runs her camp properly. Hume and Zahabi are good suggestions.
If she stays with E.T. I don't think she'll hold gold again.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
"MMA, in its essence, and I'm fond of saying this, so if you've heard it before, forgive me; I think MMA, at its best, is high level problem-solving with dire health consequences. When you watch a head kick knockout, like what Holly put on Ronda, when she head kicked her that way...that is dire consequences in that she was not able to solve the problem that is Holly Holm. That was Holly's extreme reward for being able to solve the golden puzzle that is Ronda Rousey. That's what we saw in that fight, and I'm a big fan of high-level problem-solving."

Really love that quote.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Rogans post fight interview with her after the Bethe fight, was one of the most awkward moments that I can recall in UFC history. Glad to see that he is acknowledging when he went overboard.

check it

kids need ninja shit too
Jul 23, 2015
Rogans post fight interview with her after the Bethe fight, was one of the most awkward moments that I can recall in UFC history. Glad to see that he is acknowledging when he went overboard.
Almost used that as a nom for the weirdest mma moment of the year.

Great read..@Crooklyn