Recorded myself lifting so you guys could check my form

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
trying to get advice on what I am doing right and wrong.

In this video I have dropped my deadlift weight in half because my form was shit and needs to be corrected.

I have had a couple people give me advice on the other lifts but I wanted some more opinions.

Let me know what you guys think.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Nothing too horrible.
The two biggest things I heard on the "other" forum was

1. that I was doing bent over rows wrong, I was bending over too far, not bending my legs, and not keeping my back straight enough
2. I should not be looking up while doing overhead press.

Both are easy to fix so I am giving it a shot.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Yeah, your bent-over rows, first of all your back seems arched, that's not good for your back. Keep your neck straight, don't stick it out. Bend at the hips and legs, and not that far out. I use dumbells so I can do one side at a time.

As for your shoulder press, yes, keep your head straighter, or you will start leaning backwards and put pressure on your lower back, and that will work the upper chest more than your shoulders. It is good to look up though, keeps you from landing it on your head.

Other than that, good use of range on the press, wide grip, but that is mor elikely a preference. Make sure you don't lock your arms on the way out and put pressure on your elbows. That said, cool tats, awesome music, and happy lifting sir.

Feb 28, 2015
You're doing far more than I at the moment (which is nothing at all) so you get the kudos from me.

It appears you have a tendency toward anterior rolling of the shoulders as seen in your DL and rows. On DLs, your shins should stay almost perpendicular to the floor, easier to be mindful of when using a straight bar as the bar bashing them reminds you to straighten them up. To keep them more upright you need to pushy the tushy further back, like really stick it out. And then focus on rolling your shoulders back and sort of pulling your scapula down to help keep the shoulders neutral without squeezing your scapula together, that should help reduce the forward roll and slight forward bend you've got going on.

For the bent over row, same thing really, more butt out and shoulders back. Good on ya sir, I need to get myself back into lifting again.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Your back is way too rounded on the bent over rows, bench press switch grip from wide to close every now and again, deadlift also back is way too rounded. Need to arch more and push with the heels of your feet not your toes.

Also with back exercises you need to retract your shoulders bring them back don't just lift the weight up and down. Learn to squeeze and feel the muscle working don't just lift the weight.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Your back is way too rounded on the bent over rows, bench press switch grip from wide to close every now and again, deadlift also back is way too rounded. Need to arch more and push with the heels of your feet not your toes.

Also with back exercises you need to retract your shoulders bring them back don't just lift the weight up and down. Learn to squeeze and feel the muscle working don't just lift the weight.

Thank you! I have addressed all of those issues. With the bent over row I didnt bend over as much which helped me keep my back straighter. For the deadlift I had to back the weight down some before I was able to keep good form.

Didnt know anything about your advice on retracting my shoulders and such, I will give it a try!

Anastasios

Feb 22, 2016
Much has been said but just read through these:
How to Deadlift with Proper Form: The Definitive Guide
How to Overhead Press with Proper Form: The Definitive Guide | StrongLifts
How to Barbell Row with Proper Form: The Definitive Guide
There is a lot of precision in those explanations.

For the deadlifts, you need to learn how to keep your back straight. Use a barbell to learn how to create a vertical path for the bar, making sure your shoulders are always above the bar and not behind or as in your case, in front.

Go a bit narrower on overhead presses and you dont need to go as low as you did. The links above show the right way.

You should look for yourself to see how far you're leaning forward when you row. In the link I provided you can see how you can lean forward but not too much, and create a path where you distribute the weight to the front AND back and arent doing a static lower back excercise while rowing.

Good idea on taking a vid and posting it. Hope this helps!

righthook

Mar 21, 2016
trying to get advice on what I am doing right and wrong.

In this video I have dropped my deadlift weight in half because my form was shit and needs to be corrected.

I have had a couple people give me advice on the other lifts but I wanted some more opinions.

Let me know what you guys think.

I agree w/ the guy who said to feel the squeeze more, don't just lift the weight, & the more narrow grip on the bench.

Some things I saw

1. breathe more, a big exhale when going up on the bench press always helped me. You can sub in a grunt, some curse words, or some Ronnie Coleman "YEAH BUDDY's" or "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY'S" if that helps.

2. I'd go more narrow on the military press & also not go down to the chest, come down to the chin at the lowest

3. Go lighter on the curls & keep the back arched

4. on the bent over rowns, stand up a little straighter w/ an arched back & keep the elbows in more so at the top of the rep you're almost trying to touch your elbows behind your back, you should really feel your lats squeeze at that point. I'd keep my knees bent & go a little narrower on the grip too. Do that & you should be keeping the bar closer to you, the rep is really just from your knee to your waist. there's a youtube vid where Dorian Yates is training Kai Greene on back & he explains how to do this lift better than I could, I'm finding it tough to articulate exactly what I'm trying to say here

Good stuff though, keep it up

Last edited:

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I agree w/ the guy who said to feel the squeeze more, don't just lift the weight, & the more narrow grip on the bench.

Some things I saw

1. breathe more, a big exhale when going up on the bench press always helped me. You can sub in a grunt, some curse words, or some Ronnie Coleman "YEAH BUDDY's" or "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY'S" if that helps.

2. I'd go more narrow on the military press & also not go down to the chest, come down to the chin at the lowest

3. Go lighter on the curls & keep the back arched

4. on the bent over rowns, stand up a little straighter w/ an arched back & keep the elbows in more so at the top of the rep you're almost trying to touch your elbows behind your back, you should really feel your lats squeeze at that point. I'd keep my knees bent & go a little narrower on the grip too. Do that & you should be keeping the bar closer to you, the rep is really just from your knee to your waist. there's a youtube vid where Dorian Yates is training Kai Greene on back & he explains how to do this lift better than I could, I'm finding it tough to articulate exactly what I'm trying to say here

Good stuff though, keep it up

thanks homie!