Recovery methods?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
What are yours?

I'm a big fan of the sauna & steam room. Alternating between those for 45 mins does me the world of good.

Walking. Steady pace, 20-40 mins at a time. Love it.

Epsom salts. Bathing in these really does help loosen me up and it leaves me so much fresher.

Your turn...

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Yes epsom salt baths, and cold shower therapy. Pro-actively stretching. Active recovery, extra sleep, and nutrition, nutrition, and nutrition.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
hanging on a chin up bar-- elongates the spine, opens up the shoulder girdle/ hips. lying on swiss ball, rolling around in such a way as to stretch out core(hip) and upper back/shoulder girdle muscles/ connective tissue and spine. stretching against a wall in a downward dog-like posture making sure to do it in a non-static i.e. moving way. something else to ponder. you already mentioned all the other good stuff that I could think of. Peace

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I suck at this but sleep, food and massage in the form of rolling or the Chinese guys at the mall

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Protein is helpful but I think people get carried away with it. A load of dairy and red meat isn't great for you.
Yeah the best study I've ever seen had optimal hypertrophy at a range of .75 to 1.3g per lb of bw. That's a pretty significant range. Not sure if there's any correlation between hypertrophy and recovery though I'd imagine that there's some.

Fast forward to one of your sons in university taking up lifting and asking you for a pWO meal. Ideally what are you throwing together for him?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah the best study I've ever seen had optimal hypertrophy at a range of .75 to 1.3g per lb of bw. That's a pretty significant range. Not sure if there's any correlation between hypertrophy and recovery though I'd imagine that there's some.

Fast forward to one of your sons in university taking up lifting and asking you for a pWO meal. Ideally what are you throwing together for him?
Depends on how he responds to macros and what his goals are. If he has my zero body fat genes, I'd tell him to get a pizza. If he is overweight and trying to slim down, I'd suggest protein and some fruit.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Depends on how he responds to macros and what his goals are. If he has my zero body fat genes, I'd tell him to get a pizza. If he is overweight and trying to slim down, I'd suggest protein and some fruit.

Bro, haven't you heard? Fruit is the new asbestos

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
In for this. I always recover like shit yet everyone around me can workout the next day no issues. I get fatigued so easily, not tired, like I cant go. My body wants to but my HR just wont go up and I feel like my lungs are half the size. Few days later I am back to full power. My older less fit friends can workout day after day no issue.

Always been an issue. Not sure what it might be. Maybe I should go get a coach.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
In for this. I always recover like shit yet everyone around me can workout the next day no issues. I get fatigued so easily, not tired, like I cant go. My body wants to but my HR just wont go up and I feel like my lungs are half the size. Few days later I am back to full power. My older less fit friends can workout day after day no issue.

Always been an issue. Not sure what it might be. Maybe I should go get a coach.
At older age, recovery is most of the work. While a good workout may last 40 min. the recovery process may last up to 48 hours (for me at least). At the moment I do two full-body (weights) workouts per week, no more than that. For the rest it's bag work and running. One or two days rest depending on how I feel.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Protein is helpful but I think people get carried away with it. A load of dairy and red meat isn't great for you.
My 14 year old son wants to use protein shakes. Any thoughts on that for kids?

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
No issues with that as long as he's consuming an otherwise balanced diet.

Lots of sleep at that age is important too
I had to read that twice to get it because I couldn't stop looking at your avatar. Lol

He eats good. I'm working on the sleep thing.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I had to read that twice to get it because I couldn't stop looking at your avatar. Lol

He eats good. I'm working on the sleep thing.
another thing rugby coaches use down here for the smaller talented players they need to bulk up in that age group

Wash lunch and dinner down with a protein shake, in my day it was a meal replacement drink like sustagen gold (shit they feed to old dying folk who cant eat), then they would have them eat a banana sandwich and down a small carton of milk between meals

What is his end goal? getting big for sports or aesthetics?

Dont make fun of my photo

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
If he's just getting bigger for sport Id say just feed him 3 squares and let nature take its course but if there is any chance of self esteem issues at play then try that out.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
another thing rugby coaches use down here for the smaller talented players they need to bulk up in that age group

Wash lunch and dinner down with a protein shake, in my day it was a meal replacement drink like sustagen gold (shit they feed to old dying folk who cant eat), then they would have them eat a banana sandwich and down a small carton of milk between meals

I'm speculating because he is all boy. I.e. Doesn't tell me shit about his feelings.

He wants to look good. (Loves the girls) He won't admit it, he is muscular but small In stature. He was a preemie. His younger brother has already met his height. And he goes to high school in 2 months with the big dogs. So I think he is trying to buff up quick.

So tell me like I'm a 14 year old boy what to do. I'll let him read it.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

Ps He has his dad's body build. I think there is very little chance of him getting fat.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
So tell me like I'm a 14 year old boy what to do. I'll let him read it.
Really?

Okay these years dont really matter that much, dont be the fool who peaked or tried to peak in HS, stay fit, build strength, size will come in time and concetrate on your school work cause unlike getting swole you dont rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally get a second chance at that (he will but he doesnt need to know that now)