Recovery methods?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Really?

Okay these years dont really matter that much, dont be the fool who peaked or tried to peak in HS, stay fit, build strength, size will come in time and concetrate on your school work cause unlike getting swole you dont rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally get a second chance at that (he will but he doesnt need to know that now)
Ok, so how does he get swole in 2 months before school starts?

My boy gotta look good. Lol

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Lord Vutulaki @Lord Vutulaki , I'm kidding. Your first one was good. I have whey protein powder. It says to drink after his workout. I think I'll let him do that and just up his protein with foods on non workout days.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
If he's muscular and active, it sounds like his current diet is fine. Protein shakes aren't going to make him taller.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Ok, so how does he get swole in 2 months before school starts?

My boy gotta look good. Lol
Well the best advice I can give is to eat a fuckton of calories. This is an old school strategy for bulking that works, youll have to get him the milk and some where he can squat ie a gym membership or buy him a squat stand, oly bar and weights, the former might be cheaper since he may lose interest anyway.

GOMAD: How to Gain 25lbs in 25 Days with Squats & Milk | StrongLifts

8 Common GOMAD Mistakes You Must Avoid | StrongLifts

I hate that source so in case the numbskulls didnt mention it, it needs to be full cream milk

Now lets not forget that this regime was brought about at a time where high quality whey and other sups werent readily available so there may be a better way but this is simple and has proven results

Tell him to do that plus sleep, sleep and more sleep. What might motivate him is to look at what Olympic athletes do during their camp before the Olys, they eat, train SLEEP, eat, train and SLEEP... rinse repeat

He cant get around calories and sleep, even at my age Ive noticed MUCH better gains since Ive been taking a few power naps mid afternoon, even if he cant actually sleep (which he probably can - all in his head) laying down in a quiet dark room will still help

Learning how to sleep on cue is a good life skill too imo

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Lord Vutulaki @Lord Vutulaki , I'm kidding. Your first one was good. I have whey protein powder. It says to drink after his workout. I think I'll let him do that and just up his protein with foods on non workout days.
If he's just looking to bulk and is lean then focus more on calories, at that age from any unprocessed or semi processed (like cheese for eg) will do

Youll read about the golden hour or protein synthesis window post workout, thats been debunked, I cant be assed finding sources but think how inefficient that would be from an evolutionary point of view if it was true. Our caveman ancestors ate when they could..

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
If he doesn't get fat, start jamming pizza down his neck and have him lift weights twice a week.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Only twice a week?
Training produces the stimulus for hypertrophy. Hypertrophy occurs during recovery. So he'll train, create a stimulus for his body to grow, then grow. There's no point interrupting that with more training. Let the body do it's thing.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Training produces the stimulus for hypertrophy. Hypertrophy occurs during recovery. So he'll train, create a stimulus for his body to grow, then grow. There's no point interrupting that with more training. Let the body do it's thing.
The more I read the more this comes up. I like to train every day, I dont lift much mostly triathlon training but I feel I should rest more.

Hardest part of training IMO. Thrashing yourself is easier than not doing anything. It just feels wasted, but it isnt.

In about 10 years I will have learned.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Kinda on the topic of recovery, anyone used any methods to understand fatigue and over training? I use a HRM for all my workouts so I get relative effort data. For my bike I have a power meter which is a true effort reading. Anyone used any tools to see when your performance is shit because you are tired as fuck? I sometimes try and run or cycle and the legs just feel empty, but before getting on the bike or road I feel a million bucks.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Kinda on the topic of recovery, anyone used any methods to understand fatigue and over training? I use a HRM for all my workouts so I get relative effort data. For my bike I have a power meter which is a true effort reading. Anyone used any tools to see when your performance is shit because you are tired as fuck? I sometimes try and run or cycle and the legs just feel empty, but before getting on the bike or road I feel a million bucks.
I've used Heart Rate Variability. It used to be very expensive but there are a couple of very affordable options out now, such as ithlete or Joel Jamieson's Bio Force. Use a bluetooth chest strap and download the app to your phone.

Grip strength is another useful measure, as well as raised RHR. One guy posted on a forum that he has a gripper by his bed and if it's too hard, he skips training that day.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I've used Heart Rate Variability. It used to be very expensive but there are a couple of very affordable options out now, such as ithlete or Joel Jamieson's Bio Force. Use a bluetooth chest strap and download the app to your phone.

Grip strength is another useful measure, as well as raised RHR. One guy posted on a forum that he has a gripper by his bed and if it's too hard, he skips training that day.
Very interesting. I have toyed with HRV, I have a Garmin Fenix 3 which has an app for that. But it was super hard to understand. I might go back and give that a try.

What is RHR? Resting Heart Rate? The grip thing is interesting, not sure if that works for people who mostly use their legs, might try it

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Very interesting. I have toyed with HRV, I have a Garmin Fenix 3 which has an app for that. But it was super hard to understand. I might go back and give that a try.

What is RHR? Resting Heart Rate? The grip thing is interesting, not sure if that works for people who mostly use their legs, might try it
Yeah, resting heart rate

I haven't tried the Garmin app, so I can't comment. The ones I mentioned are very simple to use and cheap. A bluetooth chest strap cost me £10 on ebay and the bioforce app was about £6 I think.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, resting heart rate

I haven't tried the Garmin app, so I can't comment. The ones I mentioned are very simple to use and cheap. A bluetooth chest strap cost me £10 on ebay and the bioforce app was about £6 I think.
Very interesting. I will see if there is anything that works with my ANT+ one, if not I might do that. be a good test.

Cheers

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

My son reach over and shook the boy's hand after he stood up. That pic was very blurry though.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
We are joining the gym this week. I have to be there when he works out because he is underage.

I'm probably gonna die. Lol