Reebok 'Fight Kit' uniform fails, misspellings anger some UFC fighters, amuse others

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) recently partnered with sneaker and apparel giant Reebok, which means athletes competing under the ZUFFA umbrella will be compensated for wearing specialized uniforms to the Octagon, starting with UFC 189 on July 11, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Read (and hear) all about it here and here.

Like most first-generation products, Tuesday's launch was not without its share of problems. Most notably, the organization's failure to "put the fighters at the forefront," as one incensed combatant wrote on Twitter, botching several prominent names on the shirts (pics) that cost a whopping $80.

To its credit, Reebok has been putting out fires all day on social media and promised to correct what it called "glitches" in the online database. Probably not a good start for the company, considering not everyone was on board with this program to begin with.

The next few weeks should be very interesting...

LINK to full story: Reebok 'Fight Kit' uniform fails, misspellings anger some UFC fighters, amuse others - MMAmania.com

Last edited by a moderator:

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Glad this isn't being glossed over by the MMA media. I just posted a thread with Helwani's interview of Dana after today's conference and Dana is saying the reaction has been nothing but positive. Just wait til he logs onto Twitter...

Stillmatic

Posting Machine
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
My god did anyone proofread any of this shit apparently that's why Reebok dropped off of the market several years ago apparently they don't know how to hire professionals who can spell
Fucking nuts!!!

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
BTW does Giblert hold the same record as Gilbert or does he start over on the pay scale?

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Joanna champion and Ronda like the new uniforms so that takes cares of the women. Maybe the dudes are a little bit more fashion conscience.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Thus is begging for a Photoshop

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Joanna champion and Ronda like the new uniforms so that takes cares of the women. Maybe the dudes are a little bit more fashion conscience.
Im sure they both will like pretty much anything they are told to like. They smile and nod their head

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They like it because they have exclusive deals with Reebok, that pay them A LOT more than most fighters will make off this deal. Same goes for PVZ, Conor, and a few others. I'm sure they're all gonna tow the company line

The fighters that are making the tiered money however, and losing money on this deal, sure aren't happy about any of it. The lack of individuality, the spelling errors, etc.

So yeah...5% of the roster is happy. But what about the other 95%.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I was prepared to chalk up "Giblert" to "shit happens", but I see it wasn't an anomaly. This is so sloppy and bad. Reebok has Top Men Syndrome, and it might be terminal.

B17

Mar 15, 2015
They like it because they have exclusive deals with Reebok, that pay them A LOT more than most fighters will make off this deal. Same goes for PVZ, Conor, and a few others. I'm sure they're all gonna tow the company line

The fighters that are making the tiered money however, and losing money on this deal, sure aren't happy about any of it. The lack of individuality, the spelling errors, etc.

So yeah...5% of the roster is happy. But what about the other 95%.
I think the womens gear looks really good. Way better than what they did have, for sure.

The more I look at the design of the mens, the less it bothers me.

You've got a payout plan to the fighters thats less than popular, then you have stupid spelling errors, and people are going to just say fuck it all.

But on just looks alone, they uniforms are far from terrible. Not amazing, but not atrocious.

For the fighters sake, I hope they really take a look at what this process looks like to many of the fighters and to the fans, and begin to make some changes. For one, they need to just forget about making any money in this UFC deal and bump up their fighter payouts and drop the prices of these replicas. Also, if I am the UFC, I would be allowing anyone who wants to break their contract due to the Reebok deal to do so. If the grass is greener, let them go, and see what happens.

This business culture of all sizzle and no steak doesnt work in the social media era. I wish both sides, Reebok and UFC, would back off of this attitude and understand they need to earn their business and when things are new (and scary) then they need to earn it the hard way, and that is not by force and not by pretending there is nothing wrong. People are unhappy and it doesnt matter why, they are, and somehow that has to be addressed. I think by Reebok opting to pay more or getting creative with opportunites for that to happen and the UFC allowing those who are truly unhappy to leave, it would be a good start.