Rehabing lower back after DL injury.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
A couple of weeks ago I was warming up to DL and jumped from 140kg to 170kg cause the 15kg bumpers were the closest. .

I thought it would be okay cause its well below my 1rm (tbh I might not have thought that far into it)

Anyway about 5 inches off the floor i felt a pop in my lower right back.

DERP

Today I started rehab. I did some foam rolling then 2x20 glute ham raises then 1x15 then some more foam rolling then some dead hangs.

Feeling much better except had a big pump in my lower back which has gone now.

Anyone have any advice?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Same thing happened to me. 170, which is way below my 1rm but I hadn't DLed in about a year and I blew my back out.

Got a MRI and I have pretty onset disk degeneration. To be expected really. It started getting better but relapsed when I was playing with the kids. Turned into sciatica as other muscles compensated.

I'm pretty much pain free now. Here are my secrets:

Once the injury is healed, pain may persist. This is because your lumbar gets into a habit of tensing to protect your back. You need to try to ignore that pain and keep moving. Don't confuse this with an actual injury - if you're injured, let it heal!

Dropped all weights and moved to bodyweight exercises, so I have no lumbar loading. I feel 20 years younger and I've maintained my muscle

Last edited:

Thanks for the insight bro....As a builder and I do a lot of my own landscaping 'Because I am better than others' I get a lot of lower back pain...Also have a fucked rotator cuff and calcification on the bone in my left shoulder....Any tips and hints are a blessing for me...I can throw with reckless abandon but if I have to hold pads my left shoulder is weak as a fucking kitten...Great thread and I hope more input is added.

his instruction isn't just to hear his own voice either, the things he says make a difference in doing the movements well or just wasting time.
let me know if you actually do it

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
his instruction isn't just to hear his own voice either, the things he says make a difference in doing the movements well or just wasting time.
let me know if you actually do it

Will do for sure man. Much appreciated.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Watch it once through and then do it regularly:
I

Thanks again blank, I think ive nailed my issue, this (Anterior pelvic tilt) is me to a T, just thought Id share it for any of the fellas who might need it.

(If you know about the above please stop reading nothing ground breaking here.)

Leigh @Leigh if like me you sit down to work this MIGHT be you too. Ive always thought I had a strong lower back and tight hip flexors (have to stretch them between squat sets) and my abs are defo elongated, I got that ET belly with not a huge amount of fat normally (bit there now since Ive been licking my wounds and going slow since the injury)

There's another vid which explains it different and uses the "Lower cross" here is the diagram.

So as you can see the lower back and hop flexors are tight and the abs and glutes are weak which results in the trainee/patient whatever walking like a duck with their ass out and belly out and they tend to waddle a little as you see many PLifters do.

The opposite (Posterior pelvic tilt) is someone who walks with their ass tucked under the hips and slouching forward.

Heres a better explanation, plus the opposite and lateral tilt conditions.

• Anterior pelvic tilt is when the front of the pelvis drops and the back of the pelvis rises. This happens when the hip flexors shorten and the hip extensors lengthen.
  • Posterior pelvic tilt is the opposite, when the front of the pelvis rises and the back of the pelvis drops. This happens when the hip flexors lengthen and the hip extensors shorten, particularly the gluteus maximus which is the primary hyperextensor of the hip.
  • Lateral pelvic tilt describes tilting toward either right or left and is associated with scoliosis or people who have legs of different length. It can also happen when one leg is bent while the other remains straight, in that case the bent side's hip can follow the femur as knee lowers towards the ground.

Ill come back with the cures once Ive got my head around it and tested them to see if Ive got it right.

Anyway I hope this helps someone someday, pretty pumped that I might have worked this problem out.

Good luck.

Thanks again blank, I think ive nailed my issue, this (Anterior pelvic tilt) is me to a T, just thought Id share it for any of the fellas who might need it.

(If you know about the above please stop reading nothing ground breaking here.)

Leigh @Leigh if like me you sit down to work this MIGHT be you too. Ive always thought I had a strong lower back and tight hip flexors (have to stretch them between squat sets) and my abs are defo elongated, I got that ET belly with not a huge amount of fat normally (bit there now since Ive been licking my wounds and going slow since the injury)

There's another vid which explains it different and uses the "Lower cross" here is the diagram.

So as you can see the lower back and hop flexors are tight and the abs and glutes are weak which results in the trainee/patient whatever walking like a duck with their ass out and belly out and they tend to waddle a little as you see many PLifters do.

The opposite (Posterior pelvic tilt) is someone who walks with their ass tucked under the hips and slouching forward.

Heres a better explanation, plus the opposite and lateral tilt conditions.

• Anterior pelvic tilt is when the front of the pelvis drops and the back of the pelvis rises. This happens when the hip flexors shorten and the hip extensors lengthen.
  • Posterior pelvic tilt is the opposite, when the front of the pelvis rises and the back of the pelvis drops. This happens when the hip flexors lengthen and the hip extensors shorten, particularly the gluteus maximus which is the primary hyperextensor of the hip.
  • Lateral pelvic tilt describes tilting toward either right or left and is associated with scoliosis or people who have legs of different length. It can also happen when one leg is bent while the other remains straight, in that case the bent side's hip can follow the femur as knee lowers towards the ground.
Ill come back with the cures once Ive got my head around it and tested them to see if Ive got it right.

Anyway I hope this helps someone someday, pretty pumped that I might have worked this problem out.

Good luck.
Good stuff- this should compliment it:

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Knowledge up in here
This shit takes forever to fix, they have a great thread going on reddit about it with good ideas if you need it.

On another note im back to squatting 130kg x 5 which is 20kg off my previous working max, DLs are coming along very slowly but as they say its a marathon sport not a sprint so slowly I go.

I think the trick with fixing the tilt is always being mindful of it, you have to walk around like youve just been prison raped.