General Remembering radio station 105.5 KNAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
? great thread! Your passion and knowledge on 105.5 KNAC has sparked my interests in something I would have known nothing about.

In my best former UFC Employee Burt Watson Voice: "Keep this Thread ROOOOOOOLLLLLLIIIIIIINNNNNNN!!! YEAH!!!"

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
? great thread! Your passion and knowledge on 105.5 KNAC has sparked my interests in something I would have known nothing about.

In my best former UFC Employee Burt Watson Voice: "Keep this Thread ROOOOOOOLLLLLLIIIIIIINNNNNNN!!! YEAH!!!"
Please tell me if you have ever seen anything like it.What radio station has this kind of following & buys these products?

All of the rock stars are wearing this shit & this is just what has been caught on camera.Think of all of the KNAC stuff that is not on camera.

1662048556894.png

Last edited:

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015

Fred Sands the owner of KNAC bought the station at an auction.In a forecloser I believe.He got together with general manager Gary Price & decided to go to a "heavy metal" format.Something that nobody else was doing or had ever done.This decision was based on concert attendances & music sales.The band Iron Maiden's 4 straight sold out shows at the Long Beach Arena convinced them.

They were getting lost in the music ratings by other larger stations under the "Rock & Rhythm" format so, the "PURE ROCK" format was born.It was a gamble that paid off.The very first song to play under the PURE ROCK format was AC/DC's Long Way To The Top & the very last song was Metallica's Fade To Black.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I was watching a Dangerous Toys video and the singer mentioned KNAC. If it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have known what the fuck he was talking about.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
I was watching a Dangerous Toys video and the singer mentioned KNAC. If it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have known what the fuck he was talking about.
There are so many bands out there that would not have gotten any airplay if it wasn't for KNAC.That's why you see so many musicians wearing KNAC shirts.KNAC was the best thing going on in the world of heavy metal music.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Keep in mind Hauler that KNAC was only putting out 1500 watts of power when they started.It was a itty bitty radio station compared to their competitors.Hell,it was itty bitty compared to any other radio station.

Yet their t-shirts & bumper stickers were seen all over the world.

Fact not fiction.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Headbangers did not have to go down to Tower Records & buy their favorite music on albums or cassettes.They just had to listen to KNAC to get their fix.

KNAC even captured the ratings & support from the death metal community.They even had the "Manic Metal" hour that they played nothing but death metal one night a week.

Who in their right state of mind had the balls to play death metal?

Last edited:

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
For sure KNAC played Dangerous Toys on the radio.Teasin & Pleasin & Sporting Woody.