Report: Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz 3 had really low PPV buys

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

While Oscar De La Hoya initially claimed 200,000-400,000 PPV buys was a “no brainer” for Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz 3, it didn’t quite reach that number. In fact, according to reporters from LA Times and Yahoo! Sports, the buy-rate was closer to a tenth of what Golden Boy was targeting.

View: https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/1068370835654684672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Historically, non-UFC promotions have never really done well on pay-per-view. Add the

Report: Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz 3 had really low PPV buys

Last edited:

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Pugmire has a history of being way off with PPV numbers.
He said a recent card did 150k & was off by 100k.
It certainly could wind up low, but give it another week or so for someone that reports every PPV to come out with a number

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Hahaha, wasn't Golden Boy saying they were going to do a million buys?

Using two ancient UFC fighters, one of which that has been inactive for 8 years, wasn't a well thought out plan for this PPV (not to mention the weak prelims). Or even having a PPV as the first event Golden Boy MMA hosted. You have to start drawing fans in long before they commit to opening their wallets for a PPV card.

Even the press conference was a jok, DLH didn't even know most of their names lol

Last edited:

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Golden Boy wanted a piece of the pie, they thought to put two well known names on a card and that would do it like in boxing.
This shit has levels to it, you better bring a card that is solid from top to bottom if you want PPV buys.

If you want a quick dollar you still need to make a card attractive, he should've atleast shopped around the Rizin and Bellator pool because most of them don't have exclusive contracts and make up a card worth watching and paying for.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Golden Boy wanted a piece of the pie, they thought to put two well known names on a card and that would do it like in boxing.
This shit has levels to it, you better bring a card that is solid from top to bottom if you want PPV buys.
Yep
Both Chuck & Tito took a lower guarantee from Oscar than the offer from Coker because Oscar had them believing they would do huge PPV numbers.

Meltzers Newsletter
Both Bellator and Golden Boy wanted the fight. Liddell said that Bellator offered more guaranteed, and would have put the fight on either television or DAZN. Golden Boy sold it on the idea of having a PPV, and that he would pay both men 30 percent of the PPV and live gate revenue in addition to their guarantees, $200,000 for Ortiz and $250,000 for Liddell. But both fighters took the lower guarantee, believing the PPV cut would lead to them getting the biggest paydays of their careers. De La Hoya continually promoted the idea they would make more for this fight than they had ever made, and talked of how UFC didn’t pay fighters fairly. It is believed that both Ortiz and Liddell earned in the range of $2.9 million for their second fight, held in 2006, which did 900,000 buys. It is pretty much inconceivable they will earn anything close to that for this fight.

Last edited:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I think I read that it did a gate of about $750k on a bit over 5,000 tickets sold.

Chuck and Tito are going to end up splitting a bowl at Chipotle with their PPV cut.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Oscar expected between 200-400k.
I'm not surprised at low numbers, which there will be, as the social media/online smear campaign was vast.
People talk about "supporting the sport", then stream a fight like this from a new promotion where for the first time i can recall, the promoter took LESS than the fighters.

I don't mind people not interested, or even people streaming.
What I DO mind is taking part in a campaign that directly affects fighters.
And as I understand it, this was a promotion that touted:

"For the first time in history, the amateur fighters were all tested too. If you're gonna have a standard in the sport, start from the beginning. "

PED's are foundational.
But, there are those who don't, haven't, and never would use them.
I have ALWAYS been for a level playing field.

These types of moves should've been supported by the fighting community.

It's clear more than 40k people watched the fight, surely after a million people went online to badmouth it later.
The result of the fight had far less to do with the standards they were implementing, which should've been supported by a larger percent of streamers on principal alone.

Someone mentioned, "If the UFC had done 30/30/40 PPV split in 2006 for Chuck/Tito, each fighter would've walked away with 6.5 million dollars."

As it is, the entire roster avrrages around 15% in the UFC.
And as mentioned, Chuck would've never been in there if not for Dana White's broken promise.

Both Chuck and Tito will walk away with upwards of a million dollars for this fight.

If people really want to support fighters, then stop throwing money at UFC's and put your money on other promotions to establish strong alternatives for fighters so the don't feel like they have to worship the boxercise instructor.(I think about that Rocky 5 Don King-type character)
I'd have paid Matt Hume $500+ flight personally to go kick Dana's ass when that threat was made.
(At times, I was able to attend some Dane White Q&A's, but knew it wouldn't turn out well to be in the same room with him, opted out).

People should fight more for the fighters, I know if I could still train/fight, I'd appreciate the hell out of it.

*This numbers movement started after TUF, when the UFC started reporting PPV's/live gates using them as a leverage tool to sway and control public opinion. The entire sport has suffered because of it.*

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Does anyone know what kind of a split there is between streaming platforms like Fite and the promotions?

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
This was a shit show from the beginning. Should’ve never happened.

If you are to believe Chael P, he said Bellator passed on this fight. I know he’s full of shit sometimes, but i kinda believe him in this one.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Someone mentioned, "If the UFC had done 30/30/40 PPV split in 2006 for Chuck/Tito, each fighter would've walked away with 6.5 million dollars."

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Chuck made 6.5 mill for that fight? I’ve always wondered how much those undisclosed bonuses and shit could add up to be. Seems likely that since he was a huge star and Dana’s besty that he may have made millions per fight, even back then.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Is it out of the realm of possibility that Chuck made 6.5 mill for that fight? I’ve always wondered how much those undisclosed bonuses and shit could add up to be. Seems likely that since he was a huge star and Dana’s besty that he may have made millions per fight, even back then.
Not sure, but ot wasn't "Anderson Silva money".
I'm guessing 500-750k disclosed.
Sure wasn't millions.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
Don't forget that Dana managed Chuck AND Tito, and prob got 15% of each end of that money, it was in Dana's best interest to fight tooth and nail for every penny

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
For the second Tito/Chuck fight?

Rumored about $2.9m total