Report: Former UFC champion Renan Barao returning to 135 after brief stint at 145

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Renan Barao’s time as a UFC featherweight has apparently come to an abrupt end, as Brazilian MMA news outlet Combate reported that the former bantamweight champion is making a return to 135 lbs for his next fight. He does not have a fight scheduled and hasn’t fought since last September.

Barao (34-4, 1 NC) lost his bantamweight crown to T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 173 in what was (by betting odds) one of the biggest upsets in MMA history. An immediate rematch was planned for UFC 177, but Barao passed out while cutting weight, and the bout was cancelled on the day of the weigh-ins. The 30-year-old would submit Mitch Gagnon in December 2014, setting the stage for the Dillashaw rematch in July 2015, which…

Report: Renan Barao returning to UFC’s bantamweight division

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
He has no chance at 145, it's the smart move......and only move or retirement
He is never winning the title at 135 again. Since getting beaten up by TJ and post USADA he has gone through a weird time.

Wonder why the move back to 135, he nearly died cutting to it the last couple times.

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Its a shame what hapoened with Baraos career. Goes from p4p and one of the most exciting fighters on the roater to goibg on a big losing streak.... Pettis in the same boat aswell.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Yeah.

Can't say I'm a fan of Weidman like I am with Barao and Pettis, but yeah, things have turned to shit for him aswell.
Chris has not looked the same in a long time. Im actually wondering what is going on up there. I might head in to LI next week and if so im going to pop by serra longo.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Hmm. A lot of strange goings on with many fighters. I wonder if it has anything to do with a certain association...that's in the United States. They're anti-something. Can't quite remember the name. Oh well.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Him and Eric Sylva, they had these drastic changes going on after the USADA crack down. At least we know what fueled his dominant career. Or at least, we can speculate.

T

The Big Guy

Hmm. A lot of strange goings on with many fighters. I wonder if it has anything to do with a certain association...that's in the United States. They're anti-something. Can't quite remember the name. Oh well.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Him and Eric Sylva, they had these drastic changes going on after the USADA crack down. At least we know what fueled his dominant career. Or at least, we can speculate.
Erik Silva was a flash in the pan. He faded rapidly when he diddnt get the early finish