Report: Sergey Kovalev busted for illegally streaming DAZN event, one month before fighting on DAZN

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Canelo Alvarez v Sergey Kovalev
Photo by Steve Marcus/Getty Images
It’s a story that’s most appropriate for 2020.

Former light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev (34-4-1, 29 KOs) is supposed to fight rising prospect Bektemir Melikuziev (6-0, 5 KOs) next month on DAZN, but the network is reportedly looking to take action against him.

Why?

Because he evidently hosted an illegal live stream of last week’s DAZN main event between Canelo Alvarez vs. Callum Smith. Seriously.

The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger has the details:

If you were on Instagram during the fight, you might have seen former light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev hosting a live stream of the entire main event, an action that was, of course, illegal.
And now, sources tell The Athletic, DAZN is considering action against Kovalev.
[...]
That one of the most recognizable names in the sport would add to the issue by hosting such a stream is surprising. At its peak, Kovalev’s Instagram Live stream attracted more than 2,500 viewers. That equals potential loss for DAZN between $50,000 (monthly subscription) and $250,000 (annual).
This continues a run of legal problems for Kovalev, although this one wasn’t physical. He was sentenced to three years probation for assaulting a woman and her dog back in 2018. Kovalev also was reportedly kicked off a flight for allegedly kissing a woman and throwing cash at her while in the plane. And to add to all of that, he was arrested for DUI back in February.

Kovalev is coming off a knockout loss to Canelo Alvarez on DAZN, and he’s owed at least one fight from Golden Boy Promotions as a result of that contest. His purse is reportedly going to be $2.5 million for the fight against Melikuziev, which should more than cover the cost of an annual DAZN subscription.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That's fucken funny. Dazn is fucked. The name is stupid too. I'll never say it allowed, I'll just keep pronouncing it wrong in my head.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
What a bust!

What a crime against humanity!

Ladies and gentlemen, rest easy tonight!

They got him!

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
What a bust!

What a crime against humanity!

Ladies and gentlemen, rest easy tonight!

They got him!
He cost his employer 250 grand. Very dumb move. Considering they gonna be bust inside a year

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
If I was part of DAZN’s marketing department, I would absolutely remove the purse for Kovalev and make it so if he wins the charges would be dropped, if he loses he would owe a pre-determined fine.

blas4ublasphemy

Oct 25, 2015
If I was part of DAZN’s marketing department, I would absolutely remove the purse for Kovalev and make it so if he wins the charges would be dropped, if he loses he would owe a pre-determined fine.
I'd make him walk around the stadium selling hotdogs at each event he isn't competing in.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Sergey Kovalev fails second VADA test

By Gabriel F. Cordero

Former light heavyweight world champion Sergei Kovalev has reportedly failed a second random doping test conducted by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA). Traces of synthetic testosterone have been found in a second sample taken eight days after the first sample where the prohibited substance was found. Kovalev was scheduled to fight unbeaten prospect Bektemir “Bully” Melikuziev this Saturday before being flagged by VADA.