Report: Shevchenko-Eubanks headlines UFC 230

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden is only a month away and lacking a main event... until now. (Maybe)

No, it’s not Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz for the 165-pound title (or just a five-round non-title fight). No, it’s not Yoel Romero vs. Alexander Gustafsson or even Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson. No, it’s not Colby Covington against someone else for another interim title. However, we are reportedly getting Valentina Shevchenko headlining for the vacant women’s flyweight title, just not the fight most wanted.

We recently learned that Shevchenko was due to fight former strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 231, but by moving the date up from December to…

UFC books Valentina Shevchenko-Sijara Eubanks for UFC 230 main event

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Who in the hell is Eubanks? Anyone ever even heard of her before? What an odd deal this is.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I watched the TUF she was on. She scored a pretty sweet high kick KO over DeAnna Bennett at one point. She was supposed to fight Nicco for the title, but she fucked up her weight cut and was hospitalized, so Roxanne stepped in.

She's legit in the sense that she can compete with the B-level crop, but of course Valentina has proven she can compete and beat A-level crop and murder B-level crop, so I just see this as another one sided beatdown.

The whole 125 thing really blew up in Dana's face. They had a few legit vets that they figured would destroy everyone (Roxanne, Honchak, Lauren Murphy, DeAnna Bennett) and then filled up the rest of the slots with novice cannon fodder like Sijara and Nicco.

Then all of a sudden the cannon fodder are beating your favourites and then you have to promote a UFC world title fight between two fighters no one has heard of with records of 3-2 and 2-2. It really is a shit show.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Eubanks may have a better shot. Joanna at 0-3 likely had little chance even though she's a bigger name. At least Eubanks is a new look. She's also a BJJ black belt.

If she wins you've already got built in stories for fights with her vs. Nicco, since that one was supposed to happen, and against Aspen Ladd, since she lost to her. If Schevchenko wins, there's still Joanna as a name who wants revenge and Nicco who wants her belt back. Either way, this fight gives women's flyweight a promotional future, though it's not the best idea for a main event.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There's a rumor going around that Jones snitched on Johanna and that's why she was pulled. That would be nuts if it was true, lol.

This seems like a dumb fight to use as a main event. They should definitely make Diaz/Poirier a 5 round fight. 3 rounds isn't enough.

M

member 3289

There's a rumor going around that Jones snitched on Johanna and that's why she was pulled. That would be nuts if it was true, lol.
Jones trains in NM and Joana trains in FL.

Aside from that, Joana put out an Instagram post that said she was offered the earlier fight (she had already signed for a December fight against Valentina) but she declined because it wouldn't be enough time to get ready for someone of Shevchenko's caliber. After she declined, the UFC booked Shevchenko-Eubanks.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Who in the hell is Eubanks? Anyone ever even heard of her before? What an odd deal this is.
Did you read the article? I jest, I had to click it to know who this was about.

I got from it what other people already posted on this thread. And I hate to be that guy, those posts will be the only selling point I get on this.

Titles do not mean anything unless the person carrying it means something. If Valentina wins it, cool. Or the other girl wins it, damn she beat Valentina. But this fight, before the result, means nothing. Its just Valentina vs Someone. Sorry if thats rude.

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
I have no idea whats going on.
I stopped getting excited & happy by these things
too many changes

I like fight week a lot but even then fights drop out.
I hear ya, I have been gotten significantly more excited about Khabib vs Conor this week than I have to the build up.

But how they are treating almost every other division, hard to give a shit.

“Eh, our Ultimate Fighter winner just can’t do it. Lets strip them and make a fight for the belt”

“Heh, GDR is being stupid. Lets just take it away, our goal was Cyborg vs Holm anyway.”

“Colby doesnt want to fight in this month huh? Well, alright, just that interim belt we made to sell PPV’s, already got it, lets strip it “

Get much more excited when y’all tell me some New Japan Pro Wrestling news now, at least I know it isn’t riddled with fake bullshit

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I never say this, but ...... scrap women's 125.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
I hear ya, I have been gotten significantly more excited about Khabib vs Conor this week than I have to the build up.

But how they are treating almost every other division, hard to give a shit.

“Eh, our Ultimate Fighter winner just can’t do it. Lets strip them and make a fight for the belt”

“Heh, GDR is being stupid. Lets just take it away, our goal was Cyborg vs Holm anyway.”

“Colby doesnt want to fight in this month huh? Well, alright, just that interim belt we made to sell PPV’s, already got it, lets strip it “

Get much more excited when y’all tell me some New Japan Pro Wrestling news now, at least I know it isn’t riddled with fake bullshit
Its the sad reality of UFC these days.
We can no longer predict what fight(s) come next.

So I stopped.

ShakaSway

Oct 18, 2015
Its the sad reality of UFC these days.
We can no longer predict what fight(s) come next.

So I stopped.
I don’t mind not knowing what fights come next, its just the laziness. And in a way, sucking all the prestige from titles. Sure as a hardcore fan who slowly tilting towards casual, I know that Whittaker, DC(at HW( fuck yall LHW supporters) Dillashaw, Hollaway, Woodley, Cejudo, and Rose are the shit. They either have established themselves as the best by beating the best or reigning superior, but this interim nonsense and new title nonsense is overbearing. They strip when they want and don’t care about the significance of “champion”.

Why should I care? Like I said, if Valentina beats her and becomes champion, cool. If the other lass wins, well shit, she beat Valentina. I don’t care about the fight, just the result. And thats a problem.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Andriy Shevchenko vs Chris Eubank Sr mixed soccer/boxing rules. I'm in.

Nov 21, 2015

UFC 230 at Madison Square Garden is only a month away and lacking a main event... until now. (Maybe)

No, it’s not Dustin Poirier vs. Nate Diaz for the 165-pound title (or just a five-round non-title fight). No, it’s not Yoel Romero vs. Alexander Gustafsson or even Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson. No, it’s not Colby Covington against someone else for another interim title. However, we are reportedly getting Valentina Shevchenko headlining for the vacant women’s flyweight title, just not the fight most wanted.

We recently learned that Shevchenko was due to fight former strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 231, but by moving the date up from December to…

UFC books Valentina Shevchenko-Sijara Eubanks for UFC 230 main event
Not sure if WME is serious.

Nov 21, 2015
In what Bizzaro world would any management in the UFC think this would
remotely fly with fans?

Lorenzo woulda never allowed this stupid announcement to be even made
let alone actually take place as the main at MSG

And nothing against the girls. We all love Valentina but we
also recognize a shit sandwich being fed to us

EDIT - Upon ample thought I now blame Holly Holm and Herb Dean for this.
Had Holly not cheated and sucker kicked Ronda after the bell and Herb
not stopped the fight way too early we'd still have a female Champion
that could actually headline MSG

Last edited:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Annnnnnnd this fight is off and Bullet is fighting Joanna again on 231.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Lol at this headlining an event with some of the other great fights

Doesn’t the new card have zero women fights now?