Reporter and cameraman shot dead in Virginia during live broadcast

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Gunman kills reporter Alison Parker, 24, cameraman Adam Ward, 27, and injures third person on scene of live TV news segment

Reporter Alison Parker and cameraman Adam Ward. Photograph: WDBJ
Alan Yuhas in New York

@alanyuhas
Wednesday 26 August 2015 14.15 BSTLast modified on Wednesday 26 August 2015 14.26 BST

A gunman killed two members of a news crew and injured one more in Moneta, Virginia, in a shooting that was partially captured on video on Wednesday morning.

Police are investigating the shooting at the Bridgewater Plaza near Smith Mountain Lake that took place at about 6.45am ET. A news crew from WDBJ7 local news was on the scene to film a segment for the morning news when several shots rang out. Screams followed and the camera recording the feature fell, as producers cut to the shocked studio news team.

The station later announced that two of their team, Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27, had been shot dead.

“Today was just like any other day,” anchor Kim McBroom said on the morning broadcast. “They did great work every day and put their all into everything they did.

“They were special people. They would lighten up a room.”

With crying on the set of the studio audible, another anchor, Jean Jadhon, described Parker as “a rock star. She was a professional, so much fun and so kind”.

Jeff Marks, general manager, recounted what police had told the station. “Someone with a gun, we believe it was a man, barged into where they were and fired several shots, six or seven, it sounded like. We heard screaming, and then we heard nothing, the camera fell.

“The scene was described to us as chaos.”

He expressed disbelief at the shooting: “How can this individual have robbed these families of Adam and Alison of their happiness and their love, for whatever reason.”

Parker originally joined the station as an intern, and had graduated from James Madison University in 2012. According to her profile on the site, she enjoyed kayaking and local theater.

Ward was described as a gregarious, hardworking photojournalist, an avid fan of Virginia Tech and longtime employee of the station.

The station chief said the news team would hold a memorial on Wednesday afternoon.

Police from Franklin and Bedford counties as well as Virginia state police are searching for a suspect at the scene. They have not described the extent of the third victim’s injuries.

Schools in the area have been locked down until further notice, the Bedford County superintendent announced.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Do you know where shit like this never happens? Sane countries where everybody isn't armed to the teeth.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
allisons husband would be prime suspect number one in my books

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Do you know where shit like this never happens? Sane countries where everybody isn't armed to the teeth.
Problem is you cannot undo the 2nd Amendment even if they tried. I am Pro Gun. I feel anyone who can pass a background check and can prove they are efficient with a firearm should be allowed to purchase and own one. We have over 300 million guns in this country there is no way we could get them back even if we tried. Because of this we have to deal with it in a correct way that is fair for all.

First thing they need to do is enforce the laws that are already on the books. One of the biggest is not putting people in jail that try to obtain a gun that know damn well they can't have one.

Second, they need to put allot of money back into mental healthcare. If you look at mass shootings most are done by people that should be in some type of facility and not on the street. It might sound crude but time to lock up the crazies.

If people would stop wasting time and resources over trying to ban guns and used it to manage them we would all be better off and safer.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Problem is you cannot undo the 2nd Amendment even if they tried. I am Pro Gun. I feel anyone who can pass a background check and can prove they are efficient with a firearm should be allowed to purchase and own one. We have over 300 million guns in this country there is no way we could get them back even if we tried. Because of this we have to deal with it in a correct way that is fair for all.

First thing they need to do is enforce the laws that are already on the books. One of the biggest is not putting people in jail that try to obtain a gun that know damn well they can't have one.

Second, they need to put allot of money back into mental healthcare. If you look at mass shootings most are done by people that should be in some type of facility and not on the street. It might sound crude but time to lock up the crazies.

If people would stop wasting time and resources over trying to ban guns and used it to manage them we would all be better off and safer.
Oh I know the horse has bolted, but if they IRA could be talked into de-commissioning arms here anything is possible, it just requires will and an honest debate, the fact is an America with way restricted gun laws would be a better place for all. Not that it will happen.

"anyone who can pass a background check and can prove they are efficient with a firearm should be allowed to purchase and own one.

The problem there is things and people change that responsible gun owner could snap tomorrow and do something stupid.

I agree completely else with everything you said though I'm just a dreamer."

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This topic is about as tough of one as we have here in the states. Decommissioning the IRA is far easier than it would be to get people to turn guns in. I am a perfect example. I cannot fathom any type of situation where I would turn over my firearms to a government entity. As long as I have broken any laws that wouldn't allow me to keep them I wouldn't turn them over. Right or wrong this is the mentality of million upon million of Americans. This is why the 2nd Amendment will never be reversed as it shouldn't be. I don't want to get off topic but our fore father put that in to keep the power in the hands of the people. Our politicians have chipped away at it for many many years. I just hope there never comes a tipping point but we are headed that way.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
God. It's like some obscene competition, who can come up with the most hideous gun murder. Literally want to throw up. Didn't watch or would throw up. Brutal, callous exercises of artificial power.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Video was removed...sound terrible

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Just heard the shooter posted 2 first person shooter video on his twitter. showing him walk up to them with his gun pointed then shooting them. Guess they were removed quickly

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
This topic is about as tough of one as we have here in the states. Decommissioning the IRA is far easier than it would be to get people to turn guns in. I am a perfect example. I cannot fathom any type of situation where I would turn over my firearms to a government entity. As long as I have broken any laws that wouldn't allow me to keep them I wouldn't turn them over. Right or wrong this is the mentality of million upon million of Americans. This is why the 2nd Amendment will never be reversed as it shouldn't be. I don't want to get off topic but our fore father put that in to keep the power in the hands of the people. Our politicians have chipped away at it for many many years. I just hope there never comes a tipping point but we are headed that way.
True about the IRA. I know that is the mentality and that is what should be debated. The cost benefit analysis of the 2nd amendment doesn't look good no matter how you frame it. While it originally kept power in the hands of the people that hasn't been the case since WW1 ended. They could lock down the continent tomorrow and no on could do anything substantial to resist, outside of a guerilla campaign and they have been figured out for a while.

Any time in history that there has been a massive wealth disparity such as we have now; the pitch forks haven't been long in coming out.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
From what I read, he is either the ex-boyfriend of the female reporter or jealous that the cameraman and reporter are living together now.