Personal Resident Gun Enthusiasts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
the only way to mitigate the risk of over-penetration is know your environment, establish a dominant position, and exclude areas from your field of fire. Those things are all risk vectors that you can control
They actually aren't.

Any round with enough power to go deep enough in to a person to stop an attack has enough power to go all the way through them, a wall, and kill someone on the other side.
That's incorrect.

How many times in the last 10 years has someone in a home defense scenario accidentally shot someone through a wall?
No idea. We regularly make steps to avoid unlikely outcomes though, so I'm not sure what the relevance is.

Are SWAT teams rolling with .38s when they come knocking?
This is kind of a silly line of questioning. SWAT teams more often that not are handed what the beaurcratic wing of their department tells them rather than what they want. You're also the guy who regularly points out that PD's act with impunity, so I'm not quite sure why youd invoke this line of questioning. That being said, the commonly carried 9mm and the .38 are very similar ballistically so there's that. 9mm runs a little fast, but the bullet is also a little smaller and lighter.

I just don't see any evidence that over-penetration is a meaningful or controllable risk.
To each his own.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
They actually aren't.
you can control whether or not you fire your weapon. That is how you control your field of fire, that is how you control for over-penetration. Selecting a round which may or may not penetrate to a stopping depth based on factors you cannot control (such as size, musculature, exact point of impact, clothing, etc) is a poor trade-off in risks.

That's incorrect.
you keep repeating that, and i'd love for you to explain how a bullet knows how much mass it's going to go through, whether or not it's going to hit a bone, the clothing that it's going to impact, etc such that it carries just enough energy to penetrate through the spine without carrying enough energy to go through a piece of drywall and in to another person. Almost any JHP round will penetrate like a FMJ round if the hollow-point gets stuffed with clothing on the way in. There's just too much variability in a projectile going 1200 fps to say that will reliably stop within a 4" range of acceptable penetration.

No idea. We regularly make steps to avoid unlikely outcomes though, so I'm not sure what the relevance is.
because all risk isn't equal. The odds of a round over-penetrating and hitting another person are ridiculously tiny. The odds of your 38 hitting the Bible in your intruder's breast pocket are much higher (even if also relatively small).

This is kind of a silly line of questioning. SWAT teams more often that not are handed what the beaurcratic wing of their department tells them rather than what they want. You're also the guy who regularly points out that PD's act with impunity, so I'm not quite sure why youd invoke this line of questioning. That being said, the commonly carried 9mm and the .38 are very similar ballistically so there's that. 9mm runs a little fast, but the bullet is also a little smaller and lighter.
They're mostly running M4 carbines with 5.56 out of SBR setups, because the round careens and loses energy once it hits something. The MP5/10 has fallen out of favor because the 9mm/10mm over-penetrates (And I bring up SWAT because the risk of over-penetration/under-powered is magnified for them, because they're rolling through houses a couple times a week or month). It's never going to happen to you or I in our lifetime. And they're rolling in to scenarios where the location of bad guys and innocent bystanders is murky. In my house, I know where the good guys are at. The bad guys are everywhere else. So SWAT is in the 'worst-case' risk scenario for over-penetration, and they're discharging rifle rounds.

To each his own.
I've never said anything disparaging about someone's choice to HD with any round that's at least as powerful as a .380.
You started off with a CZ-52 is an irresponsible choice because (IMO) you over-estimate the risk and your ability to control it with cartridge choice.

still bros, bro.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I may not have got one for Christmas, except it probably isnt the 10 round commie version
technically we are buying the same gun I just have to use a smaller mag which actually makes me more accurate with my shooting but I am a registered Republican and voting for better gun rights in California.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
technically we are buying the same gun I just have to use a smaller mag which actually makes me more accurate with my shooting but I am a registered Republican and voting for better gun rights in California.
How does a smaller mag help your shooting?

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
How does a smaller mag help your shooting?
I have to pratice to have less margin of error like skate boarding on a smaller deck but a larger magazine is better we just have to deal with the shitty card we are dealt.