Retirement: Mac Danzig on training, financial struggles, UFC job, lawsuits

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/after-...training-financial-struggles-ufc-job-lawsuits

After MMA retirement: Mac Danzig on training, financial struggles, UFC job, lawsuits

By: Trent Reinsmith March 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Mac Danzig

Life is a hustle these days for Mac Danzig.

From the time he rises at 6 a.m. to get his 6-year-old daughter off to school until he gets home to grab a late dinner, it’s nothing but contending with the morass of Los Angeles traffic for the 35-year-old single dad.

Danzig works with fighters four times per day in three different locations spread across the L.A. area. His hope is, at the end of the day, he’ll have made more money than he’s spent on gas.

That’s life for Danzig since he retired from the UFC in March 2014. A retirement that, he told MMAjunkie, was brought on in the hope that he was leaving the sport in time for his daughter to grow up with a fully cognizant father.

“When you have this little person that you care so much for, I can’t be putting myself through that any more,” Danzig said. “So, with that in mind, and the problems that I dealt with as far as concussions, I said I don’t want to be in a situation where I’m a mess at a fairly young age, and what I mean by that is in my 50s or 60s.”

Retirement was a long time coming for Danzig. He admitted that his enthusiasm for the sport began to wane when he jumped into the pressure cooker of the UFC after winning Season 6 of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

“All of that stuff just sort of caused me to, instead of staying in it because I love the competition, I was staying in it because I needed to support my kid, and I didn’t really feel same love for the art anymore,” he said. “I was just getting through it.”

Mac Danzig and Joe Lauzon

Danzig, the winner of four UFC fight-night bonuses, said things are hard for him financially these days. He’s had to sell most of his valuables just to make ends meet. He’s also had to, for the first time in his life, accept financial help from others.

“I’m certainly not set for life,” Danzig said. “I was broke going into my last fight, and then my last fight was just enough to cover the debt that I found myself in. One month after my last fight, I was having to find work. I’m not a material person. I’m very good with my money, and I’ve had to be because I haven’t made anything.”

In retirement, Danzig has become a coach, trainer and mentor to a handful of up-and-coming fighters. He said that training is not as lucrative as some would think. With no gym bearing his name and no mention of him as a trainer during UFC broadcasts, he’s working with fighters who are barely scraping by themselves.

“These guys can barely afford to be members of the gym, let alone pay me a percentage,” Danzig said. “Say I tell them, ‘Pay me 10 percent of your purse.’ That’s going to be like $50. I’m supposed to train a guy for eight weeks for $50?”

Yet that’s what he has been doing. Danzig said that’s mostly because he has the time to work with fighters while he figures out what the next stage in his life is going to be.

“It’s rough,” he said. “It’s not easy, and I still don’t know what I’m going to do.”

One possibility that Danzig hoped would come to fruition was a production job with the UFC. That dream was left unrealized.

“The UFC doesn’t owe me a job, but I kind of thought I had more to offer the organization since I’m not your average fighter – I can write, I’m a good photographer – and I thought I would be a good fit, but that’s not how it went down,” he said. “ I basically got handed off to a human resources person that didn’t really know anything about me and didn’t understand what I could bring to the table, and it was really off-putting.”

One thing that Danzig is hopeful about are the class-action lawsuits that have been filed against the UFC. Danzig recently became a plaintiff in one of the suits because “it just made sense.”

“We need to stand up and do it in a dignified manner, and the fighters need a voice,” he said. “I feel like this class action suit is the beginning of that. It’s not about, ‘F-ck the UFC.’ It’s about, ‘Let’s all get equal treatment.’ You can’t have an event without the fighters. You can be these amazing business people with this awesome production company and these awesome people who work hard and market it, but if you don’t have fighters, you don’t have anything.”

Danzig may sometimes come across as dour, but that’s far from reality. Sure, he’s struggling, but he’s struggled his entire life. And yes, he doesn’t know what his next step is going to be in life, but how many people truly do? What he does know is that he is proud of what he accomplished in MMA and that the time he spent fighting will ultimately serve him well.

“It was stressful,” Danzig said of his time in MMA. “It was arduous, and it was very emotionally and physically painful. I’m proud of what I was able to accomplish, and I don’t feel that sport owes me any more or any less. I was able to make something out of nothing, which not a lot of people get to do, and hopefully I’m going to be able to look back on that and use that as motivation for when I decide what I really want to tackle in the next chapter of my life.”

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
I wonder if Hughes and Liddell had to talk to that human resource person?

Why on earth couldn't Zuffa find a role for this guy?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

No idea, but man this stuff makes me cringe. There has to be a way to take better care of these guys and girls. I hope it gets figured out soon.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Sad stuff. I really hope the best for Mac.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015

Mac Danzig isn't exactly the Hughes, Liddells or Griffins of the sport. They can't give everyone a job and sadly, for whatever reason, it didn't work out for Mac. However, he is a smart guy, I'm sure he will land on his feet. Perhaps, he can use those writing and photography skills, combined with his experience as a fighter to leverage a position in the media? The UFC aren't the only gig in town.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
This is very disheartening to hear. Here is a the prime example of what is wrong with the UFC. Dirtbag and co does not give a shit about the mid level fighters. They are the ones that fill most of the PPV. Its not a thank you from the UFC because they are so up the co and main eventers ass they could care less if any of the other fighters starve. I am sure at one point the idea of making the UFC a great place was the goal until they saw they could make money off the broken backs of desperate fighters. Throw a few bones to those they think were needle pushers and push those out they thought didnt move the needle. Until we as fans along with the struggling fighters take a stand dirtbag swole and saliva is gonna get richer and turn their back on more and more fighters. Look at Mark Coleman. has anyone heard if the UFC is willing to assist?

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Mac Danzig isn't exactly the Hughes, Liddells or Griffins of the sport. They can't give everyone a job and sadly, for whatever reason, it didn't work out for Mac. However, he is a smart guy, I'm sure he will land on his feet. Perhaps, he can use those writing and photography skills, combined with his experience as a fighter to leverage a position in the media? The UFC aren't the only gig in town.
He isn't a Hughes or Griffin but Mac fought everywhere from Pride to WEC to KOTC to the UFC where he fought 14 times and won season 6 of TUF. He is a very intelligent guy and they could have surely helped him out when he decided to retire.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
Your post highlight exactly what Mac is feeling is wrong, they give preferential treatment to certain guys.

Of course they can't give *everyone* a job, however, they're happy to hire office staff that makes on average way more than your typical fighter.

The irony is that if Mac had landed a job, he would have made way more money as a photographer/writer/whatever in Zuffa's office than he ever did as a fighter.

And from what he's saying, they didn't try very hard to get him a position, he's not on a shortlist, he's not waiting until a position becomes available, he got offered jack shit.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Your post highlight exactly what Mac is feeling is wrong, they give preferential treatment to certain guys.

Of course they can't give *everyone* a job, however, they're happy to hire office staff that makes on average way more than your typical fighter.

The irony is that if Mac had landed a job, he would have made way more money as a photographer/writer/whatever in Zuffa's office than he ever did as a fighter.

And from what he's saying, they didn't try very hard to get him a position, he's not on a shortlist, he's not waiting until a position becomes available, he got offered jack shit.
Fighter pay is a different topic, and for sure, he and every other fighter have been getting fucked. However, I don't believe the UFC owe anyone a job after they retire and it is purely their choice of whom they give jobs to. I hope they win the lawsuit and get suitably compensated, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether the UFC should hire him or not, now that he has retired.

Last edited:

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
He isn't a Hughes or Griffin but Mac fought everywhere from Pride to WEC to KOTC to the UFC where he fought 14 times and won season 6 of TUF. He is a very intelligent guy and they could have surely helped him out when he decided to retire.
There are a lot of guys who have fought for the UFC many times. Do you think the UFC should give Gleison Tibau a job after he retires? Shouldn't it be on their merits, rather than sentimentality? The guys who got cushy jobs are icons of the sport, and their name alone holds merit, Mac Danzig while having an accomplished career, doesn't have the same sort of name recognition.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
Fighter pay is a different topic and for sure, he and every other fighter have been getting fucked. However, I don't believe the UFC owe anyone a job after the retire and it is purely their choice of who they give jobs to. I hope they win the lawsuit and get suitably compensated, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether the UFC should hire him or not, now that he has retired.
My problem is that it seems Zuffa didn't even try. Danzig sure seem like he thought they could have done more. No one is owed shit, Zuffa has stated it will try to hire guys where it can.

“The UFC doesn’t owe me a job, but I kind of thought I had more to offer the organization since I’m not your average fighter – I can write, I’m a good photographer – and I thought I would be a good fit, but that’s not how it went down,” he said. “ I basically got handed off to a human resources person that didn’t really know anything about me and didn’t understand what I could bring to the table, and it was really off-putting.”
Danzig doesn't seem to think Zuffa owed him a job either.

He seem to have issues with the "interview" process thought.

Do you have a hard time believing Zuffa could have done a half assed job in trying to hook him up? I don't think it's far fetched.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
My problem is that it seems Zuffa didn't even try. Danzig sure seem like he thought they could have done more. No one is owed shit, Zuffa has stated it will try to hire guys where it can.

Danzig doesn't seem to think Zuffa owed him a job either.

He seem to have issues with the "interview" process thought.

Do you have a hard time believing Zuffa could have done a half assed job in trying to hook him up? I don't think it's far fetched.
It sounds like he contacted someone, whom once hearing what he was offering passed him along to the appropriate department. Mac may not have liked it, but if you are applying for a photography and writing position, HR would be the place to go. I can believe they didn't try to get him a job, but then does it really matter if they didn't? They aren't obligated to and can't hire everyone who retires.

Last edited:

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There are a lot of guys who have fought for the UFC many times. Do you think the UFC should give Gleison Tibau a job after he retires? Shouldn't it be on their merits, rather than sentimentality? The guys who got cushy jobs are icons of the sport, and their name alone holds merit, Mac Danzig while having an accomplished career, doesn't have the same sort of name recognition.
I'm not saying they owe him a job but they could have offered him some appearances on UFC TV as an analyst or they could offer some type of assistance for veterans of the UFC. These guys don't make much and when they decide to call it quits, it's not like they can retire.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I'm not saying they owe him a job but they could have offered him some appearances on UFC TV as an analyst or they could offer some type of assistance for veterans of the UFC. These guys don't make much and when they decide to call it quits, it's not like they can retire.
Personally, I believe that is a separate issue. Fighters shouldn't be needing hand outs from the UFC at the end of their careers, if they are long time veteran like Mac. Hopefully the lawsuit will start to remedy this situation, but having or expecting the UFC to give fighters golden parachute jobs is not the answer. I'd like to see the UFC have to payback fighters like Mac, who essentially got fucked by an artificially deflated market and anti-competitive practices.

Mac believed he had more value than was being offered, or not offered as the case may be, and didn't get the job he was looking for. He is right to be in the lawsuit against the UFC and I hope that works out well for him, but he should be looking to leverage those skills elsewhere, as the UFC have no obligation to give him a job and one isn't forthcoming.

Last edited:

Shy Guy

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Personally, I believe that is a separate issue. Fighters shouldn't be needing hand outs from the UFC at the end of their careers, if they are long time veteran like Mac. Hopefully the lawsuit will start to remedy this situation, but having or expecting the UFC to give fighters golden parachute jobs is not the answer. I'd like to see the UFC have to payback fighters like Mac, who essentially got fucked by an artificially deflated market and anti-competitive practices.

Mac believed he had more value than was being offered or not offered as the case may be and didn't get the job he was looking for. He is right to be in the lawsuit against the UFC and I hope that works out well for him, but he should be looking to leverage those skills elsewhere, as the UFC have no obligation to give him a job and one isn't forth coming.
I agree with that. I don't know what the solution is.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think this shows that it's not worth while to win at TUF. You're better off to fight and lose near the end and then negotiate your own contract afterwards. The TUF contract isn't great.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
It sounds like he contacted someone, whom once hearing what he was offering passed him along to the appropriate department. Mac may not have liked it, but if you are applying for a photography and writing position, HR would be the place to go. I can believe they didn't try to get him a job, but then does it really matter if they didn't? They aren't obligated to and can't hire everyone who retires.
Then Zuffa shouldn't make public statements that they will "help out" if that's the case. And they shouldn't string along a vet, be honest and upfront.

Anyway, all good, Mac is now part of the lawsuit, he wouldn't be if they'd hired him.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
People hate on Mac a lot, but

The dude's last name is Danzig. The ONE TIME he came out to a song written by Danzig (Astro Zombies by the Misfits) he knocked his opponent out in a minute and 20 seconds with one of the only check hook KO's I have seen in MMA.

Next fight he did not come out to Danzig and he lost

Coincidence? Nope