Rewatching Forrest beat Shogun

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
This is wild, he's fucking him up.
I watched mma back then, but I never saw pride until much later after it closed down, I couldn't really appreciate who he was doing it too.
Forrest was well on his way to a 30-27 decision before getting the choke with 17 seconds left in round 3.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Your historical context knowledge is very accurate for someone who watched Pride after the fact. I didn't know that.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
Your historical context knowledge is very accurate for someone who watched Pride after the fact. I didn't know that.
Yeah, I rented UFC 1-15 or so from the local video store as a teenager when they came out, and then didn't watch any MMA until TUF 1 and they put it on tv for free, then I started going to bars to watch the PPVs

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
So I've been watching every UFC card since UFC 50 or so, used to watch the WEC all the time because it was free on tv on Versus which became HD net

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Shogun was coming into the fight recovering from Knee surgery - Shogun and the PrideFC Guys never disclosed their injuries or pulled out of fights like the cabbage patch kids of today’s MMA era when they break a nail and pull out.

Shogun was coming in as a huge favorite to Harcore fans - but the TUF crowd was growing and fully supported Forrest.

It was a huge win for Forest and a shocker for Pride fans ...

The rematch was what we Shogun fans expected in the First Fight ....

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This is wild, he's fucking him up.
I watched mma back then, but I never saw pride until much later after it closed down, I couldn't really appreciate who he was doing it too.
Forrest was well on his way to a 30-27 decision before getting the choke with 17 seconds left in round 3.
how was forrest winning 30-27?
Rua landed that Hellbow that opened forrest up bad...He could hardly see thru the blood...was that round really all forrest and enough was done to offset the damage Rua did?...can't recall fight so it could be...seemed Rua could get that round on damage alone

Not sure what they put into that cut but that changed the momentum and allowed forrest to tough it out and beat Rua when he gassed...forrest was really struggling till the bleeding was stopped

and then of course we know the score was more than settled in the Rematch when Rua played basketball with FG's head

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
some of the pride guys came in and actually got off the Juice thinking UFC was mostly clean fighters...when in fact they were both full of Juice

I think that was part of the problem some had transitioning to the Cage/UFC

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
here it is in ultra low-fidelity form:

I've only watched the first round so far... those guys aren't screwing around - lots of back-and-forth action!

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
here it is in ultra low-fidelity form:

I've only watched the first round so far... those guys aren't screwing around - lots of back-and-forth action!
Damn they messed with the original entrance music in that video. This must have been pulled off Spike back when they were airing past cards.

I remember Shoguns entrance being pretty bad ass with a song “It’s Time”

Last edited:

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
some of the pride guys came in and actually got off the Juice thinking UFC was mostly clean fighters...when in fact they were both full of Juice

That and the fact that UFC management wanted to see them all lose and be humiliated.......

M

member 3289

I like to watch Shogun vs Jones whenever I want amusement.

That fight makes me laugh every time.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Buff Bagginz

NO KNOWN WEAKNESSES
Nov 13, 2015
The energy during that era was insane. Good times. Especially when Machida vs Sokoudju went down. Insane at the time.