Richard Perez: Nate's boxing will 'shock' McGregor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

"McGregor is a good striker," Perez told Submission Radio. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not, but Nathan's better. I mean, when Nathan's on his gameplan he'll make him look silly."

McGregor wasn't exactly complimentary of Diaz's boxing acumen when the pair squared off for a press conference last week in Torrance, California.

"He comes forward but his understanding of ring generalship and ring control is really very amateurish," McGregor said. "It's novice where I come from. So he will understand the difference between the amateur and world champion."

Having spent 15 years training Diaz, Perez doesn't sound worried.

"Well the thing is, [in] the striking department, Nate is a lot better when he's in good shape and not injured or anything," said Perez. "So when it comes to the night of the fight, McGregor's going to be shocked."

McGregor was also critical of Diaz's conditioning, saying his opponent has looked liked "the skinniest fat guy" he'd ever seen. Not to worry, says Perez.

"I just get focused and he gets focused and we just start training. I mean, he's been training anyway. So even though it's a ten-day notice, or two weeks or whatever it is, he's been training. So we just pick it up a little higher in the notch."

LINK: Morning Report: Coach says Nate Diaz's boxing will 'shock' Conor McGregor and 'make him look silly'

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I don't want to hear " well, I didn't have enough time to get in shape". It's there in black and white.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
I really cannot wait to see this. Nate is so much longer and bigger than any of McGregors opponents. But let's face the facts: Nate Diaz has never been as good as Conor McGregor is right now. McGregor is undefeated in the UFC and Nate Diaz is a gatekeeper. McGregor has earned a championship in one of the most competitive weight classes there is and Nate has not been on that level. There's a lot to be said for that.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
I really cannot wait to see this. Nate is so much longer and bigger than any of McGregors opponents. But let's face the facts: Nate Diaz has never been as good as Conor McGregor is right now. McGregor is undefeated in the UFC and Nate Diaz is a gatekeeper. McGregor has earned a championship in one of the most competitive weight classes there is and Nate has not been on that level. There's a lot to be said for that.
Nate's reach isn't that much bigger than Conor's. Despite being taller the reach advantage is less than 5". Spot on with Nate's fighting prestige. All I want is an entertaining fight, I don't expect Nate to win but will want to be pleasantly surprised.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Can really see Nate giving Conor a lot of problems..and unless Conor gets a flash KO I can't see him finishing Diaz with ground and pound, so...might just have to go with Nate on this one.

Can see a lot of this happening.

If nate fights to his best ability, Conor may have a problem reaching him...Then again, it would be interesting if Conor just started leg kicking Nate :D
Been afk the past week so I got a lot of catching up to do, feel free to fill me in but I like this fight for Nate.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I agree but applying MMAth here, 155 is tougher than 145s for sure. Just compare top 10 55er to top10 45er.

Rico_Cutler

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I dont think Conor can finish Nate. It will be interesting to see how Conor deals with a taller longer striker.

Conor has lotta balls jumping two weight classes. He was in a position to make Nate drain himself but decided to fight Nate at his best weight.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I agree but applying MMAth here, 155 is tougher than 145s for sure. Just compare top 10 55er to top10 45er.
Haven't seen this discussed much: McG will probably be significantly slower at 170 than at 145.

The cardio difference with a full camp is a lot to overcome, though. 10 days is nothing You can hardly accomplish any gains in 10 days. You have to rest for 3-4 of those just to let your body rest and be fresh for fight day.

Chances are that on fight day they'll be within 10 lbs of each other, just guestimating off Connor's recent photos & clips.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Haven't seen this discussed much: McG will probably be significantly slower at 170 than at 145.

The cardio difference with a full camp is a lot to overcome, though. 10 days is nothing You can hardly accomplish any gains in 10 days. You have to rest for 3-4 of those just to let your body rest and be fresh for fight day.

Chances are that on fight day they'll be within 10 lbs of each other, just guestimating off Connor's recent photos & clips.
I dont see Nate having any issues with cardio. He is constantly doing something cardio based. Rumor is he was training for a triathlon, so I dont expect 25 minutes to be a problem at all.

Mar 3, 2015
Nate needs to close the distance and put Connor against the cage and use his size. Clinch with him, try to take him down. Do whatever to make him uncomfortable. If Connor controls the distance his speed will be to much, I see him chopping Nate down with leg kicks etc.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Nate needs to close the distance and put Connor against the cage and use his size. Clinch with him, try to take him down. Do whatever to make him uncomfortable. If Connor controls the distance his speed will be to much, I see him chopping Nate down with leg kicks etc.
How long do you see this fight lasting?

wiz

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2016
Here's how it goes:

Fight starts. Conor immediately hurts and drops Diaz in the first round with a body kick followed by a straight left and right hook and swarms on him to finish. Irish crowd erupts. Conor with the ground and pound to finish. Conor engages Diaz on the ground but Diaz covers up nicely and survives. Conor gives up top position and gets back to his feet and motions Diaz to stand up to avoid the ground game. Conor tags Diaz several more times but diaz's chin holds up and diaz uses his size to push conor against the fence to avoid further damage. Diaz changes levels for a takedown against he cage but conor brushes it off and laughs.

As the fight goes on, Nate takes conor's punishment in the form of all sorts of punches, kicks, etc. but Nate pushes conor into the fence whenever he gets tagged to avoid more damage. Then slowly but surely Nate starts to tag Conor. In round 3 conor starts to slow down and diaz hits him a big 1-2. Conor smiles and puts his hands up to taunt diaz, but diaz doesn't give a shit tags him again and again. Conor starts to get overwhelmed and he isn't smiling anymore. He tries to use his movement to avoid more shots but Diaz has found his range and continues to hit conor. Crowd goes crazy and starts cheering for Diaz. Now Diaz is taunting the shit out of conor. Conor comes back and hits Diaz with some big shots, and Diaz is not stopping and keeps the pressure on Conor. Conor's shots seem to be losing power with every punch while Diaz is gaining momentum. End of round 4, diaz boxes conor up and pushes him against the cage with his size, body shots, rinse and repeat. Round 5, Conor is bloodied and after getting tagged with one big final straight left, shoots and takes down Nate out of desperation, and lands himself right in a guillotine. He taps and the crowd goes insane. Diaz celebrates with gang signs in the air while Conor kneels down, face bloodied and dejected. Diaz brings Conor to his feet and they embrace. Conor stops trash talking for at least 1 year.

At least in my dream.

Last edited:

madmav

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2016
not sure if same article but i saw that Perez mentions that maybe conor wanted the fight at 170 cause he couldn't make weight to 155, 160 and even 165.. interesting take on why the fight was made at 170.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I dont see Nate having any issues with cardio. He is constantly doing something cardio based. Rumor is he was training for a triathlon, so I dont expect 25 minutes to be a problem at all.
Yeh...it's a big difference (not just physically but mentally, and game-plan-wise -- e.g. push pace, or conserve?) between peak condition and not-peak codition. We've seen Nate at both places (vs Johnson & vs Dos A). Would like nothing bettter than to see Diaz fight like vs Johnson for 5 rounds.

Connor's kicking game will be a challenge (agreeing w Barry_BondsMVP @Barry_BondsMVP) and no doubt it will be emphasized.

strikingthoughts

Posting Machine
Dec 1, 2015
I know the Tristar fighters are good at hand fighting, so I'm watching Nate vs Rory right now because I'm trying to investigate how he deals with a fighter who will hand fight. Really interesting so far (not looking good for Nate so far but I still need to finish watching).