RIZIN Fighting World Grand Prix 2015 Discussion - 12/29/15 @ 1AM ET

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Complete Rizin Fighting Federation 1: Day 1 results include:

• Shinya Aoki def. Kazushi Sakuraba via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 5:56
  • Jiri Prochazka def. Satoshi Ishii via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 1:36 – heavyweight tournament opening round
  • Vadim Nemkov def. Goran Reljic via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 2:58 – heavyweight tournament opening round
  • Teodoras Aukstuolis def. Bruno Cappelozza via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 3:32 – heavyweight tournament opening round
  • Muhammed Lawal def. Brett McDermott via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 9:10 – heavyweight tournament opening round
  • Valentin Moldavsky def Yuta Uchida via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:20 – heavyweight tournament alternate fight
  • Hiroyuki Takaya def. Daiki Hata via unanimous decision
  • Hideo Tokoro def. Kizaemon Saiga via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 5:15
  • Anatoly Tokov def. A.J. Matthews via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 0:55
  • Felipe Efrain def. Yuki Motoya via TKO (punches) – Round 1 (fight to be ruled no-contest due to Efrain missing weight)
  • Kirill Sidelnikov def. Carlos Toyota via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:32
  • Tsuyoshi Kohsaka def. James Thompson via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 1:58

*** EDITED W/ VIEWING INSTRUCTIONS ***

RIZIN Website LINK: Event Summary

Name: RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND-PRIX
* Date: December 29th 2015 (Tue) Gates open at 1:30 pm / Event starts at 3:00 pm
* Venue: Saitama Super Arena
* Organizer: RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND-PRIX 2015 Committee

So based on this, it appears this event will be live at 1am ET tonight, for those here in the US.

How to watch?

1) Have Chrome as your browser.
2) Add the Hola Extension (here): Unlimited Free VPN - Hola
3) Go here: Матч ТВ
4) Click the Hola Flame at the top right of your screen, and set the country to Russia
4) Press play

Last edited:

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

Grand Prix Round 1

Mohammad Lawal vs. Brett McDermott
Bruno Cappelozza vs. Teodoras Aukstuolis
Satoshi Ishii vs. Jiri Prochazka
Goran Reljic vs. Vadim Nemkov
Valentin Moldavsky vs. Yuta Uchida (Reserve fight)

Single Matches:
Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Shinya Aoki
A.J. Mathhews vs. Anatoly Tokov
James Thompson vs. Tsuyoshi Kosaka
Hiroyuki Takaya vs. DJ Taiki

Mixed Rules
Kirill Sidelnikov vs. Carlos Toyota
Kazuyuki Miyata vs. Hinata Watanabe
Yuki Motoya vs. Felipe Efrain

K-1 Rules
Akiyo Nishiura vs. Hiroya Kawabe

*** EDITED W/ VIEWING INSTRUCTIONS ***

RIZIN Website LINK: Event Summary

Name: RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND-PRIX
* Date: December 29th 2015 (Tue) Gates open at 1:30 pm / Event starts at 3:00 pm
* Venue: Saitama Super Arena
* Organizer: RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND-PRIX 2015 Committee

So based on this, it appears this event will be live at 1am ET tonight, for those here in the US.

How to watch?

1) Have Chrome as your browser.
2) Add the Hola Extension (here): Unlimited Free VPN - Hola
3) Go to any of these streams:
Матч тв смотреть онлайн бесплатно прямой эфир
Watch Match TV / Russia 2 TV Online Live | Moskva TV Russia |
Смотреть Матч ТВ (Россия 2) онлайн прямой эфир бесплатно
Матч ТВ (Россия-2, Спорт) онлайн. Онлайн ТВ. Телевидение здесь.
4) Click the Hola Flame at the top right of your screen, and set the country to Russia
5) Press play
Hell yeah. This card isn't being aired on Spike, so unsure where it can be viewed- might just be following along here

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
ill watch this in japanese or russian if i have to.just like the good old days

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
Hey everyone. I have interviews with King Mo, Brennan Ward, and A.J. Matthews tomorrow and Tuesday about their participation in Rizin. If you have any questions you would like answered please post them, and I will try to work them in. Thanks.
-Josh

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Hey everyone. I have interviews with King Mo, Brennan Ward, and A.J. Matthews tomorrow and Tuesday about their participation in Rizin. If you have any questions you would like answered please post them, and I will try to work them in. Thanks.
-Josh
Could u ask King Mo why's he's not fighting Phil Davis next and if a loss in this tournament could potentially jeopardize that matchup?

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
Little article I did on Ward ahead of Rizin.

“Irish” Brennan Ward & the search for unforgettable memories at Rizin World Grand Prix.

12/23/2015

Photo credit: Bellator MMA

As “Irish” Brennan Ward (12-3) prepares to pack his travel bags this week, it will mark the beginning of a new experience for the surging Bellator welterweight contender. For Ward, traveling to Japan to represent Bellator in the Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix will mark his first time outside the U.S. and the culmination of years of loyal service to a Bellator organization the New England slugger has helped elevate to new heights in 2015. Riding the momentum of a three fight win streak and a gritty reputation for always bringing the fight, Ward will gather with other top MMA fighters from across the globe to compete and determine who is the best. The event will take place at the the Saitama Super Arena, hallowed ground for the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) where Ward will put his skills on full display in the same venue which forged the legacies of countless MMA legends to include Fedor Emelianenko, Mirko Cro Cop, and Wanderlie Silva.

For many MMA pundits, Ward agreeing to a catchweight bout 8 pounds above his normal welterweight home against a relatively unknown opponent in Japan’s Ken Hasegawa (10-0-1) left them scratching their heads. After all, why would Ward who is on the verge of a Bellator welterweight title shot take such an unnecessary risk; What if he loses? For Ward however, he seems to view life through his own unique prism that cuts against the grain. While many fighters may chase money, fame, or title shots, for Ward it’s all about the adventures which fighting can provide and making new memories with his hometown boys who have his back and join him every step of the way:

"It’s going to be fun. I’m excited for a new adventure. I’m all about the experience. I’m all about the ride, the process of it all. If the ride is not fun, if the lead up and build up to a fight and the process isn’t fun, then I can’t do it. If the process isn’t fun and enjoyable then the end result is not worth it you know what I mean."

Photo credit: Bellator MMA
While many other fighters might choose to play it safe in Ward’s current situation that just isn’t the way Ward lives his life. Ward need needs to live on the edge to feel alive. He doesn’t want to live with regrets or let the fear of losing at Rizin prevent him from soaking in the fun and excitement of a once and a lifetime opportunity waiting for him and the friends by his side in Japan:

"I’m bringing my boys with me like always so we are going to have fun. We are going to eat a bunch of sushi and buy one of those fucking cool Japanese ropes and go wild out in the ring and go off the top rope."

After four straight Bellator fights in his New England backyard at the Mohegan Sun and the stressors and pressure associated with it, Ward feels the Bellator brass are showing their appreciation for his efforts inside the cage by placing him on the Rizin card:

"Rich Chou [Bellator matchmaker], he’s a fair guy. He knows I did my job. I sold the house out like five fucking times at Mohegan Sun. So he said I deserved to go on a little fight vacation you know what I am saying. Half vacation, half fight."

Photo Credit: Brennan Ward Twitter @swaggleberryfin
As for Ward’s opponent Ken Hasegawa (10-0-1), the DEEP Megaton tournament champion carries a strong Judo background and in many Japanese circles has been dubbed the savior of a dying Japanese heavyweight division. Having fought at weights as high as 220 pounds in his career, Hasewaga makes his way down for a 178 pound catchweight bout with Ward. Ward had the following to say about his opponent:

"I watched [Ken Hasegawa]’s fights. He’s super relaxed on his feet. He doesn’t throw a lot of big punches; he likes to go to the ground. So, I have to keep it standing because he’s a big dude. He’s bigger than me. So, the threat of him getting on top of me and me not being able to get up is there. I’m going to keep it on the feet."

Given the PRIDE rules in effect at Rizin, Bellator fans can expect to see Ward unload a cacophony of new strikes not authorized in Bellator fights to include stomps to a grounded opponent, soccer kicks to the head of a grounded opponents, and knees to the head of a grounded opponent. Moreover, the first round will be ten minutes in duration and the second and third rounds will be five minutes. Of particular note to Ward is the PRIDE rules which allow fighters some latitude in their choice of attire to include the wear of amateur wrestling shoes:

"I was really excited to wear wrestling shoes in the cage, but if I’m not allowed to soccer kick and stomp with wrestling shoes on I might not wear them. I still have to iron out those rules. But I’m fucking pumped to wear wrestling shoes; I’ll come out there with some swaggy Nike wrestling shoes lightning fast."

In the end, Ward knows he was hand selected to carry the Bellator banner into battle at Rizin, and he doesn’t intend to disappoint.

“I’ve definitely being looked at it more as of late in the last couple days. Yea, I’m not only representing myself but Bellator too. I got myself in the same boat as Michael Chandler, Will Brooks, and the Pitbulls [Patricio and Patricky Freire] . We’ve been in Bellator for years and years. We didn’t come from another big promotion. We signed with them [Bellator] since we were kids.] As far as being a guy who can represent Bellator, who better? They know I am going to go out there and bomb it out. I don’t go out there and do glorified sparring, I go out there and get after it."

Notching another win in 2015 sets up a likely Michael “Venom” Page (9-0) fight next for Ward in Page’s backyard of London which Bellator Nation has been clambering for now for quite some time. One can only surmise that a looming title fight against champion Andrey Koreshkov (18-1) and match-ups against Paul Daley (37-13-2), Douglas Lima (26-6), and the winner of the Josh Koscheck-Matt Secor fight look to be a part of Ward’s 2016.

Spike will begin its three hour coverage of Rizin Thursday December 31 at 10 a.m. ET.

Best of luck Brennan and thank your very much for your time. Thanks also to Bellator's CJ Tuttle, Danny Brener, and Spike TV's Nicole Platt.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Ward is a savage..love watching him fight, balls to the wall

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Have had alot of great fights on TV(non-ppv) recently. Excited to see what Rizin has to offer. I miss the ring. Switching from a ring to a cage hurt alot of fighters game such as Wanderlei Silva with head kicks to the ground.

MMABROdotcom

Oct 2, 2015
A.J. “The Mercenary” Matthews looks to down Fedor’s protégé at Rizin.
12/27/2015

Comments

A.J. "The Mercenary" Matthews (Photo Credit: Bellator MMA)

As Bellator middleweight A.J. “The Mercenary” Matthews (8-3) makes his way to the Rizin ring on December 29th against Russia’s Anatoly Tokov (21-1), he has his marching orders. As a man who views himself as a modern day hired gun, he knows the details of his latest assignment: derail the accent of an opponent labeled “Fedor’s protégé” and raise the Bellator banner to new global heights in victory. You see, Matthews is one of four Bellator fighters taking part in the 2015 Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix where the most skilled MMA fighters in the world (outside the UFC) are competing to see who the best is. At stake will be promotional pride and bragging rights as Bellator, BAMMA, KSW, Bushido, Jungle Fight, and Desert Force all look to reign supreme and display dominance. The ultimate vision of this cooperative effort between fight promotions in Tokyo (as envisioned by former PRIDE founder and current Rizin mastermind Nobuyuki Sakakibara) is to lay the groundwork for what will eventually morph into MMA as an Olympic sport in the future.

It's a concept Matthews is strongly in favor of and supports as a fighter:

“I think its beautiful man. For me, because I’m a soccer player it’s kind of like the Champions League. Everyone in the world, they get a shot at someone else from somewhere else in the world. I think that is great. Otherwise, I would probably never fight a guy like Tokov, and maybe he would never fight outside of Russia.”
Standing in front of Matthews on fight night will be Anatoly Tokov, the heir apparent of Russian MMA to the great Fedor Emelianenko who is headlining the card. Considered one of the greatest MMA heavyweights of all time, Fedor’s return and participation at Rizin included stipulations that several young Russian fighters must also be added to the Rizin fight card, one of which was Tokov. For Fedor, bringing glory and honor to Russia at Rizin is of the utmost importance, and Matthews’ opponent looks to carry the torch for Russian MMA into the future. With a record of 21-1 and riding a 14 fight win streak over the last three years, Tokov regularly trains with Fedor, and one can’t help but feel the Alexander Nevsky Club fighter is looking for a showcase win over a tough American to raise his international profile.

There happens to be one problem with that approach however: A.J. Matthews has a say in the Rizin ring on fight night. Riding the momentum of a two fight Bellator win streak since moving from welterweight to middleweight, Matthews has overcome bouts with shoulder surgery, sobriety, and ring rust to ultimately hit his current performance peak under Kickboxing Coach Ed Buckley. It’s a level of performance which left Matthews’ last opponent Emilliano Sordi sitting on his stool after 1 round at Bellator 141 and having no desire to answer the bell for round 2.

“When I came back as a middleweight, I got a kickboxing coach: Ed Buckley. My game, my technique, my output, my belief has all changed and grown. I think I owe a lot to coach Ed. He’s worked with some of the best guys. He was the striking coach for [Team Quest]. He’s worked with Dan [Henderson], Krzyssztof [Soszynski], and all those guys you know. I just happened to be another fighter in his stable and right how he is pretty concentrated on me.”
For this training camp, Matthews took an old school approach which included training jiu-jitsu out of a garage the same way he started his MMA career with his older brother Ian many years ago. Regular trips down to Alliance MMA (as has been the case over the last five years) continued to occur where Matthews mixed it up with the best middleweights and light heavyweights in the world in preparation for this fight:

“Like I said, I still go down to Team Alliance. I almost use that more as a measuring stick and as camaraderie. Team Alliance, I always get the same thing out of that [training]. It is a reminder that you are a fighter, and these guys look up to you or accept you or you’re up here. That’s some of the best guys in the world.”

When asked to give an assessment of Tokov as an opponent, Matthews stated the following:

“I honestly think he is good everywhere. Strengths: maybe being well versed, well-rounded. Weaknesses: I mean I am going to have to find out, but he looks slow to me.”

“I’m extremely excited to fight somebody that may be better than me. I’ve always been a competitor. I’ve always wanted to compete at the highest level. I know that I am as good as anybody. This is a great opportunity for me. It’s really exciting and doesn’t get any better than this.”
One rule change Matthews, a former Cal State L.A. collegiate soccer player, is looking forward to utilizing at Rizin (which isn’t available under Bellator rules) is the addition of soccer kicks to grounded opponents:

“I’ll tell you what, if [Tokov] in on his back or on his hands and knees… if his head is anywhere near volley, half volley, [or] penalty shot I’ll take it. If it’s not there, I will kick it when he is straight up too.”

With a victory at Rizin, Matthews has his 2016 goals laid out before him, and he knows exactly what he wants next in Bellator:

“I want to be active. I don’t think there has been a year I have fought 3 times. I want to fight 4 times. I just want to be active and enjoy the process, enjoy the journey. I want to fight. The only reason a fighter lives it to fight; the only reason I fight is to win.”

“I want a top guy. I want to fight the best guys. I want [Alessio] Sakara. I’ve looked up to his style since he was in the UFC. Now that he is out, I want to fight him. It would be cool if [Bellator] could set that up. I’d say give me Alessio Sakara in Italy. We can fight at middleweight or 205 [pounds]. If that doesn’t work out or even if it does, let’s set up a middleweight tournament. Call Joey Beltran. Call Kendall Grove. Brandon Halsey. Whoever. Let’s do that on that Houston card.”
Win or lose, don’t expect to see Matthews looking backwards. His eyes are firmly focused on his future and achieving his full potential in the Bellator middleweight division.

“As my friend Nick “The Ghost” Gonzalez told me, the only fight that matters is the next one. If I dwell on a win, it’s like I am living in the past. I’m happy but, there is so much more going on. There is so many other guys that I need to fight and things that I need to do.”

Yet, for now, “The Mercenary” remains focused on the latest name on his hit list: Anatoly Tokov.

Best of luck A.J. and thank you for your time. Thanks also to Bellator’s C.J. Tuttle and Danny Brener.

Fighter Insight:
A.J. Matthews on mental preparation for the fight: “I spend a lot of time visualizing. I’ll imagine what the warm-up room will look like, and then when they say ‘Matthews, you’re up next’. And then walking out onto the ramp, if there is going to be fire and big screams, then walk into the ring. Bright, bright, white ring. White ropes. White everything. And that’s what I am imagining and visualizing. Once I am in there in that setting, I will be cool. It’s all good. Because in the past, that is when I have had a hard time controlling my nerves at that point when they say ‘Matthews you’re up next.’