Road FC 42: Live Discussion - 9/23/17

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017

Venue: Chungju World Martial Arts Festival Stadium
Enclosure: Cage
Broadcast Times:
Korea (MBS Sports+) 17:00 KST prelims, 20:00 main card
International (YouTube) 04:00 EST prelims, 07:00 main card
S.E. Asia (sports fix.tv) 16:00 MYT prelims, 19:00 MYT main card

Fight Card:
Openweight: Aorigele (4-3 1 NC China) vs. Yusuke Masuda (6-12-3 Japan)
Middleweight: Ikuhisa Minowa (63-42-8 Japan) vs. Dong Sik Yoon (9-9 S. Korea)
Openweight: Chang Hee Kim (1-3 1 NC S. Korea) vs. Yoon Jae Shim (2-2 1 NC S. Korea)
Lightweight: Dong Guk Shin (1-0 S. Korea) vs. Shunya Imai (3-1 Japan)
Bantamweight: Ik Hwan Jang (5-1 S. Korea) vs. Emil Abbasov (7-9 Russia)

Young Guns 36:
86 kg Catchweight: Eun Soo Kim (7-4 S. Korea) vs. Magomed Mutaev (11-3
Atomweight: Jeong Eun Park (2-2-1 S. Korea) vs Si Woo Park (debut S. Korea)
Bantamweight: Seung Min Shin (2-1 S. Korea) vs. Jianwei He (0-5 China)
Flyweight: Sung Jae Kim (5-7 S. Korea) vs. Soo Wan Park (1-1 S. Korea)
Welterweight: Byung Ha Lim (0-7 S. Korea) vs. Duk Soo Kim (debut S. Korea)
Lightweight: Young Jun Cho (1-6 S. Korea) vs. Tae Ho Jin (2-3 S. Korea)
Bantamweight: Jin Park (debut S. Korea) vs. Sung Jun Park (debut S. Korea)

Last edited by a moderator:

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017
Thanks for doing the leg work my man. I've added this to the event calendar.

TMMAC Events Calendar | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum
No problem. I wake up early to watch all of their events.

The records on the Young Guns undercard is particularly bad this time, but I've learned in the past to not sleep on them. Usually plenty of finishes.

The main card is about average for this event. I think they were really going for fighters of different styles, as this event is held at/during the Chunju International Martial Arts festival.

Ranger

Nov 17, 2015
Any good prospects on this event? Im looking forward to the tournament, and Mikuru Asakura's return(not sure if I spelt that correctly).

Any idea when Soo Chul Kim will return? @letto176

Last edited:

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017
Still new to this forum, I don't know how to edit the OP. There have been some late changes to this event. Eun Soo Kim vs Dae Sung Kim is off. Eun Soo Kim will now face Magomed Mutaev on the undercard in a -86kg catchweight feature bout. The ladies' atomweight fight is now moved to co-main the undercard. Jang vs Abbasov is now on the main card.

Venue: Chungju World Martial Arts Festival Stadium
Enclosure: Cage
Broadcast Times:
Korea (MBS Sports+) 17:00 KST prelims, 20:00 main card
International (YouTube) 04:00 EST prelims, 07:00 main card
S.E. Asia (sports fix.tv) 16:00 MYT prelims, 19:00 MYT main card

Fight Card:Openweight: Aorigele (4-3 1 NC China) vs. Yusuke Masuda (6-12-3 Japan)
Middleweight: Ikuhisa Minowa (63-42-8 Japan) vs. Dong Sik Yoon (9-9 S. Korea)
Openweight: Chang Hee Kim (1-3 1 NC S. Korea) vs. Yoon Jae Shim (2-2 1 NC S. Korea)
Lightweight: Dong Guk Shin (1-0 S. Korea) vs. Shunya Imai (3-1 Japan)
Bantamweight: Ik Hwan Jang (5-1 S. Korea) vs. Emil Abbasov (7-9 Russia)

Young Guns 36: -86 kg Catchweight: Eun Soo Kim (7-4 S. Korea) vs. Magomed Mutaev (11-3
Atomweight: Jeong Eun Park (2-2-1 S. Korea) vs Si Woo Park (debut S. Korea)
Bantamweight: Seung Min Shin (2-1 S. Korea) vs. Jianwei He (0-5 China)
Flyweight: Sung Jae Kim (5-7 S. Korea) vs. Soo Wan Park (1-1 S. Korea)
Welterweight: Byung Ha Lim (0-7 S. Korea) vs. Duk Soo Kim (debut S. Korea)
Lightweight: Young Jun Cho (1-6 S. Korea) vs. Tae Ho Jin (2-3 S. Korea)
Bantamweight: Jin Park (debut S. Korea) vs. Sung Jun Park (debut S. Korea

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
L @Leto1776 - members can only edit posts for 24 hours after making them. I'll edit the OP for you. Thanks for the info brother.

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017
For those unfamiliar with Road FC, their undercards are what they call the Young Guns series, usually for debutants and relatively new fighters. The rest is explained below.

Very surprised tp see such an extensive write up on a Young Guns card, especially considering this is on their English language page, and not even published on the Korean language page.
ROAD FC

ROAD Fighting Championship introduces the matches on Young Guns 36, the undercard for Xiaomi ROAD FC 042, which will be held during the Chungju World Martial Arts Festival in Chungju, South Korea this coming Saturday, September 23.

Young Guns Series

The Young Guns series, held as the undercard for many ROAD FC numbered events, is designed to feature fighters who are transitioning from amateur MMA, new foreigners, those coming off a delayed break, and those who are seeking a much-needed resurgence in their career. As part of a national system for MMA fighters, three separate amateur leagues feed into the Young Guns events: once a fighter has proven his- or herself, they are able to make a professional debut during a large live event.

For struggling professional fighters or those coming off a long layoff, the Young Guns undercard gives an opportunity to continue a professional career in MMA and get back on track. Foreign fighters new to ROAD FC are given a chance to debut on a live event and prove if they have potential.

Young Guns 36 exemplifies what the series is about. There are many fighters making their pro debut after trials in the amateur Central, Into and Attack Leagues. Several well-known fighters with tarnished records are going to be battling for comebacks. And in the main event for the card, Russian Magomed Mutaev makes his debut against Kim Eun-Soo who is returning to action after a 2-year layoff.

Young Guns 36

-86 kg Catchweight Match
Kim Eun-Soo (7-4, Winners Multigym/Team Roots) vs Magomed Mutaev (11-3, Club Gorec)

Kim Eun-Soo started his career in Heat in Japan, then claimed a great win over Lee Sang-Soo at ROAD FC 006. He has a 100% finish rate with 6 T/KOs. Magomed Mutaev is an M-1 veteran who most recently won a split decision over ROAD veteran Amilcar Alves. Nine out of his 11 wins were finishes. Kim's punching will be on display, and Mutaev can bring a host of weapons to counter it.

Women's Atomweight Match
Park Jeong-Eun (2-2-1, Team Strong Wolf) vs Park Si-Woo (debut, Team Mad)

Park Jeong-Eun is a well-rounded prodigy from a sambo background who started off her career fighting the best in her division. Park Si-Woo is a kickboxer with gold medals in WAKO and the Incheon Indoor Games who transitioned through the amateur ROAD FC Attack League. Well-rounded Park Jeong-Eun has already become a hot prospect to watch, and Park Si-Woo will be looking to join her on the list, should her grappling level match her kickboxing.

Bantamweight Match
Shin Seung-Min (2-1, Ssen Gym) vs He Jianwei (0-5, HJW MMA Team)

Shin Seung-Min has a kickboxing base and transitioned through the amateur Into and Attack Leagues with a total of 6 KOs and an amateur belt from Wardog. He Jianwei was a contestant on UFC's TUF China, and he has a strong grappling base. Shin will be looking to showcase his own style and he'll face a veteran in He who brings a lot more fight to the table than what his underdog record suggests.

Flyweight Match
Kim Sung-Jae (5-7, MMA Story) vs Park Su-Wan (1-1, Ssabi MMA)

Kim Sung-Jae has a seesaw record from facing some of the strongest in the division at home and abroad, with his most recent loss being a decision to stand-out Grigory Popov. Park Su-Wan was 2-1 in the ROAD FC amateur Central League before his pro debut, and his performances advanced him to the Young Guns card. Both are very tough and have loads of endurance, and both are coming off losses, so this will be a crucial record-breaker for the winner.

Welterweight Match
Lim Byeong-Ha (0-6, Team Finish) vs Kim Deok-Soo (debut, Team J)

Lim Byeong-Ha is an excellent grappler with many medals in BJJ competition, plus he holds 2 wins in WAKO kickboxing. Kim Deok-Soo competed in sanda since 2008, winning in three national competitions. Lim needs his “0” to go, and he'll get the chance against debutant Kim, but this is definitely a style-versus-style match.

Lightweight Match
Cho Young-Jun (1-6, Ssen Gym) vs Jin Tae-Ho (2-3, Ronin Crew)

Cho Young-Jun has a grappling base and is active in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competition. Jin Tae-Ho has medalled in no gi grappling and sanda. While both have found success outside the cage, they have struggled to gain footing in MMA. This grappling match is a good test to see who can make the style work and get them back into the win column.

Bantamweight Match
Park Jin (debut, Team Posse) vs Park Sung-Jun (debut, Ssabi MMA)

Park Jin comes from a Muay Thai background where he was a National runner up, on the National team, and amassed a record of 7-5. Park Sung-Jun is a well-rounded MMA fighter with a 2-1 amateur and 2-0 semi-pro record in the ROAD FC Central League. This will be their first chance to impress the fans on a big and bright stage.

Ranger

Nov 17, 2015
Ik Hwan Jang definitely has some promise. For being 36 already, Dong Guk Shin is extremely athletic and quick. Jeong Eun Park is one to watch, and even Seo Hee Ham has said she looks promising.

Ah, okay. Good to know.
Are seung min shin, and ik Hwan jang any good?

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017
Weigh in results:

Xiaomi ROAD FC 042 Main Card

Openweight Match
Aorigele (159.1) vs Masuda Yusuke (103.3)

Middleweight Match
Minowa Man (82.5) vs Yoon Dong-Sik (84.3)

Openweight Match
Kim Chang-Hee (162.4) vs Shim Gun-Oh (132.2)

Lightweight Match
Shin Dong-Guk (70.4) vs Imai Shunya (70.3)

Bantamweight Match
Jang Ik-Hwan (61.9) vs Emil Abbasov (61.1)

Young Guns 36

-86 kg Catchweight Match
Kim Eun-Soo (86.4) vs Magomed Mutaev (86.0)

Women's Atomweight Match
Park Jung-Eun (48.1) vs Park Si-Woo (48.2)

Bantamweight Match
Shin Seung-Min (61.7) vs He Jianwei (62.4 Fail, 61.9 pass – deduct 50% purse)

Flyweight Match
Kim Sung-Jae (57.5) vs Park Su-Wan (57.4)

Welterweight Match
Lim Byeong-Ha (77.3) vs Lim Yong-Joo* (75.0) *Replaces injured Kim Deok-Soo

Lightweight Match
Cho Young-Jun (70.4) vs Jin Tae-Ho (70.3)

Bantamweight Match
Park Jin (61.8) vs Park Sung-Jun (61.8)

Some fighter quotes:
Aorigele vs Masuda Yusuke

Aorigele, “It's an honor to be here and an honor to do my best. I will finish it fast.”

Masuda Yusuke, “It's my first time in ROAD FC and it's an honor to be the main event in my debut. I will do my best.”

Minowa Man vs Yoon Dong-Sik

Yoon Dong-Sik, “There's a story between me and Minowa. After debuting in Pride, I was living in Japan. Minowa was a superstar there. He came to the gym I was at. One day we had the opportunity to practice together. I know the fans are going to enjoy this.”

Minowa Man, “I'm honored to be at ROAD FC and face off with Yoon Dong-Sik. I will do my best for my fans and everyone at ROAD FC.”

Kim Chang-Hee vs Shim Gun-Oh

Shim Gun-Oh, “I changed my name twice so I guess fans are a bit confused. I will do my best as Shim Gun-Oh.”

Kim Chang-Hee, “Just like last time, I will show you a fiery match.”

Shin Dong-Guk vs Imai Shunya

Fireman Shin Dong-Guk, “I just lost two of my fellow firefighters recently. They were doing their job, and were lost in the line of duty. I want everyone to try and live safely.”

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017
ROAD FC 042 Spotlight: Park Jeong-Eun

Xiaomi ROAD FC 042 Spotlight: Park Jeong-Eun

An interview with one of Korea's most exciting female prospects

Park Jeong-Eun will face Park Si-Woo at Xiaomi ROAD FC 042 on this Saturday, September 23 in Chungju, South Korea.

Park Jeong-Eun is a 21-year old female atomweight fighting out of Team Strong Wolf in Namyangju, South Korea. In 2015 she transitioned from sambo to MMA, and in her first two fights she went the distance with two much more experienced fighters: Fujino Emi and Sarami.

Park turned her record around with two finishes over fellow rookies, and went to a majority draw with none other than Watanabe Hisae, former DEEP Champion and women's MMA pioneer. In just two years, Park has cemented herself as a very exciting prospect to keep an eye on.

Ahead of her match, Park Jeong-Eun sat down for an interview.

How have you been since your last fight?

After I won my fight in March, I had no injuries so I went right back into training. Every day is the same. I spend all my time in the gym.

Your last opponent was Park Na-Young, in her pro debut. She was much stronger than expected. What was your opinion of the match?

My opponent was suddenly changed before the event. I'm really thankful that Park Na-Young accepted the offer and came to fight. Since it was her debut, I had no information on her. I thought her punches would be light, but they were better than expected. We started out striking and ended up grappling. But she insisted on more striking since before the fight she said she would knock me out. I ended up winning by TKO but it was much more difficult than I expected.

You have fought Korean and foreign players at home and abroad. Are there differences?

If you fight a foreigner, mind control is easy. When I'm not going to be fighting in the same country, I'm tempted to think in a bad way at first. I do it because I think it is necessary to stimulate myself in advance. However, when I meet a Korean fighter, that kind of thing disappears.

Do you think your opponent had more pressure because it was her debut?

When I was fighting in amateur tournaments, I didn't know who my opponents would be until I arrived on the day and at the time of the match. So it was my fault that this fight wasn't my best. I only knew that she was a kickboxing gold medalist. The fighters making their debut are the most scary ones. I didn't know her plan. But it's not a burden. It's a challenge for me to overcome.

Your next opponent Park Si-Woo is a sparring partner for ROAD FC Atomweight Champion Ham Seo-Hee. What do you think about this?

I know that she is a champion's sparring partner, but it doesn't really matter to me. Park Si-Woo is Park Si-Woo. I don't care much because I will overcome anything.

Your first couple of fights were against well-known opponents, and had a big impact, more so than your recent fights.

I think so too. In the beginning, I wildly went for the finish. My last fight might seem lacking compared to the first one. However, I don't want to be judged by one fight, because I'm going to keep fighting on into the future. I'm going to put on a really fun and exciting scrap this time because Park Si-Woo is also a striker.

Do you have a game plan for your next match?

I have no specific plans or framework yet. We are concentrating on raising my physical condition and my strength.

Is there anyone in the women's atomweight division you want to fight?

There are lots of new fighters coming to debut, and there are many more atomweight fighters compared to other weight categories. I can't think of anyone specific, rather I'm focused on moving up step by step. The goal is Ham Seo-Hee. Ever since the first atomweight championship fight was made, I've been hungry for my shot.

You have goals to climb the division and eventually get a title shot, what are your aspirations for the future?

Now that there's a champion of our division, I will make this fight with Park Si-Woo and all my future fights incredibly exciting so that I can make my way to the title shot. I want to be so exciting that fans will say, “I think Park Jung-Eun deserves a title shot.”

Park Jeong-Eun versus Park Si-Woo will take place at Xiaomi ROAD FC 042 this coming Saturday, September 23 at the Chungju World Martial Arts Festival.

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017
Going to be in and out during the event. Have to work early this morning.

A few finishes already this morning, including a sick Kimura.

Leto1776

Aug 25, 2017
Pretty good event overall. 3/7 prelim fights and all five of the main card fight all finished inside the distance. Two fighters sustained hand injuries. Dong Sik Yoon will need surgery, with 4-6 weeks recovery time, and no word on Chang Hee Kim's recovery. Coolest moment of the night goes to Dong Guk Shin, whose entrance was a memorial ceremony to two fellow firefighters who lost their lives just a week before the event.

results: Road FC 42 | MMA Event Page | Tapology