Rockhold says he wanted more popular opponent, Branch responds with expletive-filled video

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Luke Rockhold will be making his return against the #9 ranked David Branch at UFC Fight Night 116. The former middlewight champion admitted that he didn’t have much interest in the match up, but just felt that his 1-year layoff has been long enough.

“Really what it comes down to is, I can’t wait anymore,” Rockhold told MMA Fighting. “I had the thought process of waiting for that fight. In June it was Anderson Silva in Rio, he wouldn’t take the fight. Then they moved onto Gegard Mousasi, couldn’t get him to sign the fight. I mean, I went to 205, to Shogun (Rua), to try to get (Fabricio) Werdum (at heavyweight). I’ve tried to get everybody I could possibly think about to get a fight that really got me up, but no…

Rockhold wanted more popular opponent, Branch responds

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Branch didnt exactly fight top comp but i guess he is just confident from winning.

T

The Big Guy

Good fight for rockhold. Rockhold wins and hes back in the mix. Hopefully he wins then sets up a fight with romero or jacare

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Good fight for rockhold. Rockhold wins and hes back in the mix. Hopefully he wins then sets up a fight with romero or jacare
I want him to lose. Dude whines almost as much as Woodley. Has tons of talent but a bad case of pretty boy syndrome. He's used to getting his way and when it doesn't happen he throws a hissy fit.

T

The Big Guy

I want him to lose. Dude whines almost as much as Woodley. Has tons of talent but a bad case of pretty boy syndrome. He's used to getting his way and when it doesn't happen he throws a hissy fit.
I dont think he should be bitching and crying when he only has himself to blame for getting KOd by bisbing in 1 rd. All this MW drama started with him at UFC 199

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I dont think he should be bitching and crying when he only has himself to blame for getting KOd by bisbing in 1 rd. All this MW drama started with him at UFC 199
The shit show started when the new champ decided to go dinosaur hunting as opposed to fighting top guys in his division. Luke did fuck all to win that fight so that's on him but it's weak to put the state of MW on that loss. It's what was done after that got us in this mess.

T

The Big Guy

The shit show started when the new champ decided to go dinosaur hunting as opposed to fighting top guys in his division. Luke did fuck all to win that fight so that's on him but it's weak to put the state of MW on that loss. It's what was done after that got us in this mess.
He either got fluked or didnt take bisbing serious. I think he beats bisbing 9/10 times but by him losing all this shit started. Either way id like rockhold to smash a few dudes and rematch bisbing and i simultaneously wish he would shut up and fight

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He either got fluked or didnt take bisbing serious. I think he beats bisbing 9/10 times but by him losing all this shit started. Either way id like rockhold to smash a few dudes and rematch bisbing and i simultaneously wish he would shut up and fight
Agree on all that except that Luke losing caused the mess. If he lost to Moose, Weidman or Yoel those guys wouldn't have begged for a Hendo fight or waited for GSP.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
Wow. I admit I took the chum. More interested now in this fight. Even if it's like WWE and I have to pretend the drama is real.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Cuts both ways in this one. Good fight for both guys. Rockhold has him on athleticism & speed, but Branch is more solid that most appreciate, and if you touch Luke on the chin he's going to fall down. JJ is probably a wash. Both guys have better JJ than they get credit for, imo.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Cuts both ways in this one. Good fight for both guys. Rockhold has him on athleticism & speed, but Branch is more solid that most appreciate, and if you touch Luke on the chin he's going to fall down. JJ is probably a wash. Both guys have better JJ than they get credit for, imo.

I'd say Luke's jj is much better than Branch's.

I'm rooting for Branch, Rockhold hasn't had a good showing in 2 1/2 years. Frankly, he's lucky Weidman fought like shit in their respective fight too.
Between the arrogance, attitude and character, he's a hard sell.
He was someone to watch rising up through Strikeforce and beyond. At this point however, he's about impossible to get behind, certainly not deserving of Mousasi.
It'd be nice to see a good showing by both, just better by Branch I hope, unless I hear an attitude change on Luke's behalf.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
When did Branch become a gangsta rapper? I don't remember him being like that at all before.

I hope he wins, it would be sooooo sweet.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'd say Luke's jj is much better than Branch's.

I'm rooting for Branch, Rockhold hasn't had a good showing in 2 1/2 years. Frankly, he's lucky Weidman fought like shit in their respective fight too.
Between the arrogance, attitude and character, he's a hard sell.
He was someone to watch rising up through Strikeforce and beyond. At this point however, he's about impossible to get behind, certainly not deserving of Mousasi.
It'd be nice to see a good showing by both, just better by Branch I hope, unless I hear an attitude change on Luke's behalf.
Fully agree with every bit of that -- and impressed that you see how good LR's JJ is. I don't remember it being shown yet, to date. I know people who know him going back a long way (not doing a name drop, just citing how my own op based on limited fight footage came to be formed). The one hand guillo finish is par for the course, from what I've been told (never trained with and have never seen him roll in trainen).

Branch's JJ, especially top control & flow has been much more exposed over his career.

I've spend plenty of time in Central CA -- Santa Cruz is one of the more intransigent douchebag centers of Norcal -- so I am very familiar with how Luke's personality fits in there, & how emblematic it is. To skip unnecessary courtesies, he pretty much comes off like a garden variety CC surf-city hillbilly douchebag, thus is easy to dislike (by way of validating attitude read-o-meter readings). There are a shit-ton of dickheads in the Santa Cruz area who come off just like he does, except they one & all are pussies and he isn't one (there are non-pusses there, but the trained and the non-douchey don't act like that -- for whatever uncorrected reason, intentional or unintentional, Luke does).

Luke, O Luke, why can't you be exceptional and reject your dipshit heritage???

That said, he would be some shiet to contend with if he had a JJ level chin.

Fully agree: Musasi would be a very bad match-up for him.

Will give him credit for the Weidman win, though. It came down to one scramble, and he won it, against a more seasoned wrestler. Can't take that away from him. It was momentary -- of that moment -- but hard to argue it was accidental or lucky. He was quicker, beat Weidman to the flag, got the win because of it.

M

member 3289

Branch can make all the videos he wants. He's still getting his ass beat.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
Let Luke lose to Branch & send him off to Bellaton. Rockhold is still a top middleweight. He can go to Bellaton, help them keep growing in the right direction, & get his unlikable ass run over by the Moose.

Whittaker, Romero, Weidman, Jacare, & a smart, humbled Brunson are enough to keep the division interesting. Once Bisping decides to stop dinosaur hunting (thank you for that La Paix @BirdWatcher) one of those guys is bound to beat him. My guess is Bobby Knuckles KO's Lefthook Loudmouth & sends him out to pasture at Fox Sports 1.

Bisping's death clutch on the belt will be broken, & order will be restored to the division.