Rogan wants Conor vs Edgar

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Does Jose Aldo deserve a rematch?

That's the question being floated days after the dramatic end to his four-year reign as UFC featherweight champion.

Aldo was stopped just 13 seconds into his main event bout opposite Conor McGregor atUFC 194, but fans, media and even notables like former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones have voiced support in seeing the Brazilian get a second chance right away.

UFC commentator Joe Rogan isn't part of that camp.

"The problem with doing a rematch with Conor McGregor and Aldo is that it would be so hard to sell when a guy gets knocked out quick," Rogan said Monday on his podcast. "When you hype it up for as long as you did, for two separate events, it dies off and then the first punch Conor connects with puts him out? It's hard to sell that.

"If you want to look at his lineage and history, yea, a guy who was champion for 10 years[sic], he should have a rematch."

"Some people are mad that I said I don't think it's smart that Aldo fight right away," Rogan said. "First of all, Aldo got knocked dead. When you get knocked dead like that you need a long time off. You need at least six months off. Conor McGregor could fight next Tuesday and so could Frankie Edgar.

"I think that fight would be f***ing bananas. For a fan, I'm so excited to see that fight. Frankie has a very dangerous style for a guy like Conor who was taken down repeatedly by Chad Mendes. He's a nasty wrester. His cardio is off the chain. His footwork is fantastic. He's got [striking coach] Mark Henry in his corner. They're going to come up with a badass gameplan. Between Henry and [McGregor coach John Kavanagh] and a winner like Frankie and a winner like Conor, goddamn."

LINK: Morning Report: Pitching Frankie Edgar, Joe Rogan says a rematch between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo would be 'hard to sell' - MMA Fighting

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015
I've found myself disagreeing with Joe's opinions more and more in the last 4 years or so.
Where does he get "when you get knocked dead like that you need...at least 6 months off" from?

I'd imagine that number has a few contingencies like if Aldo suffered a concussion, or other injuries.

Aldo received a 2 month medical suspension following the fight, with no contact until the end of January. If Jose wanted to, they could fight again in March or April.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
I've found myself disagreeing with Joe's opinions more and more in the last 4 years or so.
Where does he get "when you get knocked dead like that you need...at least 6 months off" from?

I'd imagine that number has a few contingencies like if Aldo suffered a concussion, or other injuries.

Aldo received a 2 month medical suspension following the fight, with no contact until the end of January. If Jose wanted to, they could fight again in March or April.
How did Chad's chin look the other night? That's what happens when fighters come back too soon

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I agree 100% with Joe.

I don't want to see an immediate rematch of Rousey/Holm, and I don't want to see an immediate rematch of McGregor/Aldo.

It's not just the physical damage. When fighters like Ronda, who was an undefeated beast, and Aldo, who was the 145lb king and hadn't lost in 10 years, get BRUTALLY KTFO, you want to know where their heads are at. I think it's in Aldo and Rousey's best interest to take a tune-up fight before they take their rematches. As a fan, I want to know for sure that they've overcome their defeats and are back at their peak levels.

If Aldo immediately fights Conor in a rematch and gets KTFO, people can say "oh well he's passed his prime, Conor ruined him the first time, ect". If he takes some times off and beats a guy like Max Holloway and then gets the rematch, we know he's still at that high level. That's the way I see it.

canofsticks

Aug 4, 2015
How did Chad's chin look the other night? That's what happens when fighters come back too soon
It's a nice quip, but if we're being honest, you have no idea if him getting KO'd was because of a single factor (previous KO) over an array of other factors (being 30 and a culmination of damage over his career, getting flash KOd during training camp, etc)

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Immediate rematches for fights that are so one sided don't make a lot of sense, and doesnt give the other fighters a chance. The chances of a barn burner rematch are very dependent on where the losers head is at. And like DannyNL said, a tune up match will help them gain confidence for an EVENTUAL rematch down the road after the champ has dismissed other contenders in the division.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
It's a nice quip, but if we're being honest, you have no idea if him getting KO'd was because of a single factor (previous KO) over an array of other factors (being 30 and a culmination of damage over his career, getting flash KOd during training camp, etc)
We know for sure it's an accumulation of damage, most of which was almost certainly, not properly managed,

Proper management is not sure to protect the chin but it will reduce the lifetime effects

Proper management does not involve fighting in the next six months,

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Joe Rogan wants anything that the UFC and dana tell him to want.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015

Freddy Roach wouldn't even train Manny for a year after he got KOed. Freddy has combat induced brain damage, which has caused Parkinsons. When it comes to brain damage from tough KOs, I think it is best to err on the side of caution.

MMA.X

MMA.X for knockouts , subs ,slams and more
Sep 18, 2015
Chad has a suspect chin anyways the only fighters he ever took damage from were Aldo, conor and now Edgar . Every other fight Chad has had in his career he took no damage at all because they didn't get a chance to even hit Chad . But the 3 that were able to connect KO him. I'm not saying him coming back soon isn't a factor in this discussion cause it definitely is, all I'm saying is there are too many other factors to just focus on that being the reason he got koed

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Chad has a suspect chin anyways the only fighters he ever took damage from were Aldo, conor and now Edgar . Every other fight Chad has had in his career he took no damage at all because they didn't get a chance to even hit Chad . But the 3 that were able to connect KO him. I'm not saying him coming back soon isn't a factor in this discussion cause it definitely is, all I'm saying is there are too many other factors to just focus on that being the reason he got koed
Well I tell you getting knock dead in July didn't help neither did the training from, what? Mid September probably

canofsticks

Aug 4, 2015
Freddy Roach wouldn't even train Manny for a year after he got KOed. Freddy has combat induced brain damage, which has caused Parkinsons. When it comes to brain damage from tough KOs, I think it is best to err on the side of caution.
I don't disagree. I guess my original gripe was Joe pulling that number out of his ass without any reasons as to where the number came from. There are too many factors involved with brain trauma (age, amount of times KOd prior, how severe was he concussed, etc) to just have a blanket statement of all KOs need to be 6 month suspensions, minimum.

To complicate matters, we're not even sure if the brain ever fully recovers from KO inducing brain trauma. Which, if the answer is no, it doesn't ever fully recover then that only creates the subject question how recovered is 'recovered enough' which has no right answer.

I just get annoyed when people say things as a matter of objectionable truth, when it's not. If he would have said I think you shouldn't fight for 6 months then I'd be fine with that as the claim is a subjective one, and one that he would be entitled to have.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I don't disagree. I guess my original gripe was Joe pulling that number out of his ass without any reasons as to where the number came from. There are too many factors involved with brain trauma (age, amount of times KOd prior, how severe was he concussed, etc) to just have a blanket statement of all KOs need to be 6 month suspensions, minimum.

To complicate matters, we're not even sure if the brain ever fully recovers from KO inducing brain trauma. Which, if the answer is no, it doesn't ever fully recover then that only creates the subject question how recovered is 'recovered enough' which has no right answer.

I just get annoyed when people say things as a matter of objectionable truth, when it's not. If he would have said I think you shouldn't fight for 6 months then I'd be fine with that as the claim is a subjective one, and one that he would be entitled to have.
Rogan was talking about Freddy and had a whole conversation about brain trauma previously in the broadcast. This cherry picks parts of a 2 hour+ conversation, listening it didn't come out of nowhere.

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
I think Rogan makes a valid point.

The timing of it is the only reason i wouldn't give Aldo an immediate rematch. He won't be ready for at least six months but Edgar and Conor are ready to go now.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think Rogan makes a valid point.

The timing of it is the only reason i wouldn't give Aldo an immediate rematch. He won't be ready for at least six months but Edgar and Conor are ready to go now.
I say drop ALL immediate rematches. Do away with it across the board. Make each champion that loses the belt take a retune up fight if they win then they get a rematch.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
I think Aldo deserves a rematch but I see Rogan's point as well. The fight was hyped and promoted for so long and it ended so quick. In the build up to the fight, I never got the impression Aldo wanted to fight Conor either and that hurts interest in a rematch.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
A lot of fighters came out of 194 with 180 day suspensions, including Conor. He has to get his wrist cleared by a doctor, so we'll see how that goes.