Rogan willing to ‘help’ White sign Askren to UFC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Ben Askren is retired, but Joe Rogan still wants to see the ONE Championship welterweight champion in the UFC one day.

The longtime UFC color commentator offered Tuesday on his podcast, JRE MMA Show, to sit down with both UFC president Dana White and Askren to help mend fences and negotiate a UFC deal for “Funky.”

“I’ve talked to [White] about [signing Askren] in the past,” Rogan said. “I think if Ben and him sat down and I could be there, maybe I could help. I’d do that. I’d 100 percent be willing to do that.”

Askren, a former Bellator champion, has long been considered one of the best welterweights on the planet, but he has never competed in the Octagon. That’s because White has refused to sign him, supposedly due to a…

Joe Rogan willing to ‘help’ Dana White and Ben Askren come to terms for UFC deal

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Interesting. A lot of talk about Ben and the UFC lately. Bet they sign him and match him up against GSP.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Interesting. A lot of talk about Ben and the UFC lately. Bet they sign him and match him up against GSP.
that'll be cool fight, but not until Ben's teammate Tyrone to lose the belt first

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
I really enjoy watching Askren’s style, coming from a grappling influenced family. Don’t think that GSP fight would be smart, but maybe against Maia, that’d be neat.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
It would be wise. The Jake Shields-GSP fight was a huge one and Shields had never fought in the UFC.

While Shields was a bigger name, Askren has that all important '0' that makes for a great marketing angle.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
It would be wise. The Jake Shields-GSP fight was a huge one and Shields had never fought in the UFC.

While Shields was a bigger name, Askren has that all important '0' that makes for a great marketing angle.
Shields fought Kampmann to a split decision in ufc before the gsp fight

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Shields fought Kampmann to a split decision in ufc before the gsp fight
Fair call. But that complete shitfest would've hurt PPV buys if anything - better an unknown fighter than seeing that.

MyrddinWild

Feb 15, 2018
How funny... as if Askren & whomever negotiates a deal will need Rogan sitting there to moderate the meeting. Eh, what the hell... if it gets them talking then all good.

GSP would be his biggest money fight... but no way you can give him the same cut of the PPV as you give GSP. Askren will be a valid opponent for GSP to rack up a big PPV buy... but make no mistake... it's GSP selling it. Askren vs. Maia for example would likely do sub tree fiddy buyz while Askren vs. GSP will be 800 - 900k buyz most likely.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
It's too late for Askren, he should've kept his mouth shut. GSP will fight for big money only, and for UFC only.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
but make no mistake... it's GSP selling it.
Exactly. GSP vs. some guy. The last time Askren fought in the US was in 2013, in Bellator, against other fighter we have never heard of. Again, the hardcores know about Ben, but since he fought in the US, things have changed, and he's been gone. Add to that, GSP can choose whomever to fight, and he will choose the big money fight. As for legacy? It will not be tarnished if he chooses to ignore Askren. Not even close.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Seriously, how many people in the past were supposed to out wrestle GSP, only to get dominated? Hughes, Fitch, Koscheck, Bisping (jk)...hell you can go back to Heiron.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I want this to happen to know just how good Ben really is. It is a shame when we don't know who the best fighter on the planet is for any given weight class. For the sake of MMA history, we need to see the best fight the best. We were able to determine that Eddie Alvarez is great, but not the best LW in the world. I'll never get over not getting to see prime Fedor in the UFC (although I'm willing to accept there is a 99% chance he was the best HW of his era due to the quality of opponents in Pride). Hopefully we won't have any lingering questions on Ben's place in history.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't think the UFC would match him right up with GSP. I think they would make him beat at least 1 maybe 2 contenders first.

It would look bad if a Bellator and OneFC champion stepped right in and beat a UFC WW and MW champion.

I would bring him in and match him up against Colby Covington who is supposed to be a great wrestler also.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
It is a shame when we don't know who the best fighter on the planet is for any given weight class.
But we do know, and that's GSP :)

Which big names did Askren fight to even put him up to GSP? A much smaller Aoki? Kadestam who went 2-3 in his last 5 fights? Sapo (yes, the no contest one)? Which of his opponents would be the toughest and biggest name Askren ever faced?

Hopefully we won't have any lingering questions on Ben's place in history.
Without a doubt, Askren has left behind a solid career, a legacy to be proud of.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
I want this to happen to know just how good Ben really is. It is a shame when we don't know who the best fighter on the planet is for any given weight class. For the sake of MMA history, we need to see the best fight the best. We were able to determine that Eddie Alvarez is great, but not the best LW in the world. I'll never get over not getting to see prime Fedor in the UFC (although I'm willing to accept there is a 99% chance he was the best HW of his era due to the quality of opponents in Pride). Hopefully we won't have any lingering questions on Ben's place in history.
No disrespect to Ben for being really good at what he does, but to get cut by a major org, when you are undefeated says something.

Joe Rogan has a point when he says if someone takes you down, learn to get up. But at the same time, as it has become a so called sport, instead of fighting, it has allowed boring point fighting bullshit to interfere.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
No disrespect to Ben for being really good at what he does, but to get cut by a major org, when you are undefeated says something.

Joe Rogan has a point when he says if someone takes you down, learn to get up. But at the same time, as it has become a so called sport, instead of fighting, it has allowed boring point fighting bullshit to interfere.
I think after that Ben learned to be a little more active and fun to watch. That was early in his career at that point.

Who knows though. We need to see him against some top tier talent.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I don't think the UFC would match him right up with GSP. I think they would make him beat at least 1 maybe 2 contenders first.

It would look bad if a Bellator and OneFC champion stepped right in and beat a UFC WW and MW champion.

I would bring him in and match him up against Colby Covington who is supposed to be a great wrestler also.
I'm not a big fan of Askren but he would smoke Covington.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015

That's all in the negotiation. I don't think Ben's interested in fighting anyone else in the welterweight division, especially now that Hendricks and Rory are no longer signed with the UFC. He's definitely not going to fight Colby Covington. My guess is that he'll wait and see what happens with the Ali Act before making any decisions.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
As much as that fight moves my needle, i can’t imagine it will ever happen. He has never liked the Funky one, but he may be able to get past that. More importantly, Dana is pissed at GSP and won’t trust him again. We may never see GSP back in the cage. But if we do, it won’t be against a guy like Askren. Askren is not well known enough by the casual MMA fan. And he’s a monster. Dana wouldn’t risk having someone like that come in and mop the floor with GSP. More likely to see GSP against Conor, or Brock, or Ronda. Someone the causal fan can recognize.