ROH/NJPW finalized for MSG

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
I guess Sinclairs lawyers did what they need to ...

While it appeared that the show had fallen through, Ring of Honor is set to run Madison Square Garden in 2019 after all.

ROH and New Japan Pro Wrestling announced today that "G1 Supercard," a co-branded show from the two companies, will take place at MSG on April 6, 2019. That's on the Saturday of WrestleMania weekend in New York City.

NJPW's Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, and Tetsuya Naito are already advertised, along with "all of the top ROH stars."

“This is destined to join a long list of historical wrestling moments and where better to hold it than at Madison Square Garden," ROH chief operating officer Joe Koff said in a press release. "I am extremely proud of what we have been able to achieve as a company and am very appreciative of how great our relationship with New Japan Pro-Wrestling has become. However, none of this would be possible without our fans, who are truly the best in the world. Madison Square Garden would not be possible without them and for that I am most grateful.”

New NJPW president Harold Meij was also quoted, “This is a historic initiative for ROH and New Japan Pro-Wrestling. This gives us a great chance to expose fans to NJPW in the building which housed so many memorable and compelling matches.”

After ROH's plans to hold a show at Madison Square Garden next year were made public, Dave Meltzer reported in June that WWE was doing everything possible to block it from happening. Koff then did an interview with PWInsider where he said that MSG informed ROH that they were backing out of the event after "communications from the WWE." Koff said he expected that ROH's lawyers would be contacting all of the involved parties in hopes of finding a resolution.

"We are thrilled to welcome Ring of Honor Wrestling and New Japan Pro-Wrestling to Madison Square Garden for the much anticipated G1 Supercard,” Joel Fisher, MSG's executive vice president of marquee events, said today. “We expect April 6th to be another memorable night of wrestling at The World’s Most Famous Arena.”

Tickets will go on sale to HonorClub members on Wednesday, August 8 at 10 a.m. Eastern time before being made available to the general public on August 10.

-

Going head to head with NXT too

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Additional info:
Joe Koff (ROH CEO) said at an appearance last week that the Sinclair Lawyers were handling it.
they must have had a cut/dry case to get the date without a fight

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Expect the biggest NXT in history now.
No way Vince takes this L lying down

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
I forgot to add
ROH is owned by Sinclair
Sinclair owns over 50 Fox stations
WWE will be airing on Fox beginning Oct 2019.

That is why it didn't go to a real lawsuit
things could get really ugly for WWE