General Rolling Stone 500 all time song list

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
That superbowl performance was neat. And that little guy could play the shit out of a guitar.
One of the best there ever was. Dude was a genius on the guitar.

There is a video on YouTube where a guitar teacher breaks down the "Gently Weeps" performance Prince did with Tom Petty. It's a good watch and really lays out how incredible it was.

Last edited:

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
One of the best there ever was. Dude was a genius on the guitar.

There is a video on YouTube where a guitar teacher breaks down the "Gently Weeps" performance Prince did with Tom Petty. It's a good watch and really lays out how incredible it was.
One of my top 5 favorite guitar solos. And if I'm not mistaken, he specifically shredded that one because Rolling Stone printed an article about how he "wasn't an elite guitar player" or something.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
One of my top 5 favorite guitar solos. And if I'm not mistaken, he specifically shredded that one because Rolling Stone printed an article about how he "wasn't an elite guitar player" or something.
I can't imagine Rolling Stone would say that, but after seeing this song list maybe so.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Rolling Stone is a big bunch of idiots.
They've talked smack about so many legends.

"All them rock n roll writers is the worst kinda sleaze

Selling punk like some new kind of English disease

Is that the "wave of the future", oh spare me please..."

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Rolling Stone is a big bunch of idiots.
They've talked smack about so many legends.

"All them rock n roll writers is the worst kinda sleaze

Selling punk like some new kind of English disease

Is that the "wave of the future", oh spare me please..."
And perhaps a little less eloquent, i give you Axl Rose of GnR...

"And that goes for all of you punks in the press
That want to start shit by printin' lies instead of the things we said
That means you andy secher at hit parader, circus magazine
Mick wall at kerrang, bob guccione jr. at spin
What you pissed off 'cause your dad gets more pussy than you?
Fuck you! suck my fuckin' dick!
You be rippin' off the fuckin' kids
While they be payin' their hard earned money to read about the bands they want to know about
Printin' lies, startin' controversy
You want to antagonize me? antagonize me motherfucker!
Get in the ring motherfucker! and I'll kick your bitchy little ass! punk!!"

Get In The Ring - GnR

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
They do list him as the #33 greatest guitarist.

prince

Photo: Frank Micelotta/Getty Images
33Prince

He played arguably the greatest power-ballad guitar solo in history ("Purple Rain"), and his solo on an all-star performance of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" during George Harrison's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2004 had jaws on the floor. But he can also bring the nasty funk like Jimmy Nolen and Nile Rodgers (listen to the groove magic of "Kiss") or shred like the fiercest metalhead ("When Doves Cry"). Sometimes his hottest playing simply functions as background – see "Gett Off" and "Dance On." Prince gets a lot of Hendrix comparisons, but he sees it differently: "If they really listened to my stuff, they'd hear more of a Santana influence than Jimi Hendrix," he once told Rolling Stone. "Hendrix played more blues, Santana played prettier." To Miles Davis, who collaborated with the Purple One toward the end of his life, Prince was a combination of "James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye… and Charlie Chaplin. How can you miss with that?"

Key Tracks: "Purple Rain," "Kiss," "When Doves Cry"

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I'm going to find the article and post it, but in the meantime, leave it to Prince to do the coolest guitar mic-drop equivalent:

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Boom- found it:
"The legend behind this solo is almost as satisfying. Prince was not included on a list of 100 best guitarists by Rolling Stone. The list came out one week prior to the ceremony. At this particular induction ceremony, the founder of Rolling Stone, Jann Werner was being inducted. Prince just had to add a little "fuck you" to the night."​

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
and i dont see meatloafs "paradise by the dashboard light" , don mcleans "american pie", aerosmiths "amazing", andrew lloyd webers "one day more" , vanessa amorosis "heroes live forever", totos "africa" , eric carmines "hungry eyes", twices "i cant stop me" , MGKs "forget me too", or the promise rings "jersey shore"

if American Pie and Africa aren't on there, it's a shit list.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I think two of the three shittest songs on that list (along with Missy Elliot, which is hilarious) are two nobody seems to have a problem with.

Superstition by Stevie Wonder genuinely sounds like a preset song you find on a $15 used Casio keyboard.

Rolling Stone, like all the other songs sung by that cunt who can't actually sing, also sucks shit.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
I can't remember a top 100 list that did not have ...

Eagles - Hotel California.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
  • 20. Robyn: "Dancing on My Own" (dk)
  • 19. John Lennon: "Imagine"(good song but meh)
  • 18. Prince and the Revolution: "Purple Rain"(agree)
  • 17. Queen: "Bohemian Rhapsody"(played out by pop culture but still good)
  • 16. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z: "Crazy in Love"(No.No.)
  • 15. The Beatles: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"(agree)
  • 14. The Kinks: "Waterloo Sunset"(dk)
  • 13. The Rolling Stones: "Gimme Shelter"(agree)
  • 12. Stevie Wonder: "Superstition"(agree, Living for the City my pref choice)
  • 11. The Beach Boys: "God Only Knows"(No.)
  • 10. Outkast: "Hey Ya!"(No.)
  • 9. Fleetwood Mac: "Dreams"(meh)
  • 8. Missy Elliott: "Get Ur Freak On"(not in this fucking lifetime)
  • 7. The Beatles: "Strawberry Fields Forever"(agree, but others are better)
  • 6. Marvin Gaye: "What’s Going On"(very agree)
  • 5. Nirvana: "Smells Like Teen Spirit"(not top twenty)
  • 4. Bob Dylan: "Like a Rolling Stone"(very agree)
  • 3. Sam Cooke: "A Change Is Gonna Come"(agree)
  • 2. Public Enemy: "Fight the Power"(agree, but Can't Truss It)
  • 1. Aretha Franklin: "Respect"(can't think of a better choice but maybe Chain of Fools)
Click bait article.
did you know Stevie Wonder stole "Superstition" from Jeff Beck?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
with your taste in music, how are you not writing for Rolling Stone?
If I wrote that list, there wouldn't need to be a distinction between 100 greatest songs and '100 greatest My Chemical Romance songs', as they are the same thing.

My dad is not the boss of me!

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
If I wrote that list, there wouldn't need to be a distinction between 100 greatest songs and '100 greatest My Chemical Romance songs', as they are the same thing.

My dad is not the boss of me!
i've seen MCR in concert, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

#NoShame