Rory MacDonald ‘happy’ making less sponsor money for Bellator debut than in the UFC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

It seems that one of the continuing drivers for notable talent testing free agency has been the UFC’s Reebok deal. The stranglehold on sponsorship in the UFC has provided a key bargaining chip for other organizations looking to net notable fighters. Even, it turns out, for fighters who may not end up making as much money right away, without a Reebok contract.

At one point, Rory MacDonald was one of the UFC’s brightest rising stars. Expected by many to shoulder at least some of the legacy of Georges St-Pierre as a top talent from Canada. And while he did rise through the promotion’s ranks, fighting for the welterweight title in 2015, just one year after that title bout,…

Rory Mac ‘happy’ making less sponsor money for now

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
“I could have easily went out and got plastered sponsors all over my shorts and banner and stuff and got little sponsors for the fight,” MacDonald said. “But basically what I’m going out there is for long-term, marquee sponsorships that are going to be solid name brands that are going represent me and I represent them well and be a long-term partnership.”

“Give those sponsors big exposure, rather than be clustered and totally packed full of a bunch of different random companies that don’t have any connection to me whatsoever,” MacDonald said. “That’s the strategy, there.”

“I’m definitely very happy with what I’m going to be making for my time in Bellator,” he said. “Even if my sponsorships are a little bit down, it’s not a big deal for me. I’m looking at a big upside and I’m very happy with it.”

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Rory's an intelligent dude. Why not shoot for an exclusive deal with someone like Under Armour, Adidas, Nike, etc.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Rory is holding out for the big fish as opposed to plastering condom Depot on your trunks for peanuts.

It’s also logical to assume that the sponsorship market in general will be down after the initial sponsorship tax, then the reebok deal later on. A market doesn’t just bounce back overnight.

Its up to bellator and its fighters to establish a viable competitor to the UFC. They need the brand recognition so that sponsors feel like the cost is worth it.

Still though, not a surprise that sponsorship is down after the UFC effectively gutted a large portion of it.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Still though, not a surprise that sponsorship is down after the UFC effectively gutted a large portion of it.
It depends on the fighter and what their goals are. Ryan Bader has said that he's already making more in sponsorship since signing, and he hasn't had a single fight yet under the Bellator banner.

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
Rory is holding out for the big fish as opposed to plastering condom Depot on your trunks for peanuts.
Those were the days. Remember watching UFC pre100 and my dad asked "Now what statement is that man trying to make? Condom Depot on his ass like that," ahh memories.