Rory MacDonald: 'More dangerous' Condit should get title shot over Hendricks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Carlos Condit made it clear he wants a title shot following his TKO of Thiago Alves at UFC Fight Night 67. No. 1 welterweight contender Rory MacDonald has endorsed him.

MacDonald (18-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC), who challenges welterweight champion Robbie Lawler (25-10 MMA, 10-4 UFC) in UFC 189’s pay-per-view co-headliner next month in Las Vegas, believes Condit (30-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) should be next in line for the belt regardless of who leaves with it on July 11.

Former champ Johny Hendricks (17-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC) also has a claim at the gold. However, if MacDonald were granted decision-making power, he said Condit, the “more dangerous” fighter in his eyes, would get the next title shot.

“I’d like it if Carlos got (the title shot) because I think Carlos is one of the best in the division and the most dangerous fighter with a five-round fight,” MacDonald told MMAjunkie. “He’s a very dangerous fighter.”

Johny Hendricks and Matt Brown

It’s a curious situation atop the 170-pound class. Lawler won the belt from Hendricks at UFC 181 in December in a rematch from UFC 171 the previous March. Hendricks rebounded from the title loss to defeat Matt Brown at UFC 185 and immediately began his campaign for a trilogy fight with Lawler or a bout with MacDonald.

“Bigg Rigg” will be cageside for UFC 189 when MacDonald and Lawler duke it out, but plans for his future have not been revealed.

That opens the door for Condit to swoop in. “The Natural Born Killer” made an emphatic return from an injury-induced 14-month layoff when he brutalized Alves en route to a TKO win in Brazil.

Carlos Condit

Condit is a former interim UFC titleholder who owns a long list of notable victories. Among the most sparkling of those wins, however, might be his third-round TKO of MacDonald at UFC 115 in June 2010. UFC matchmakers have attempted to bring the fighters together for a rematch in the past, but it’s never come to fruition.

Although Condit has a loss to Hendricks that’s a little more than two years old, MacDonald said he thinks Condit presents a more formidable threat in a championship-fight environment.

“Three-round fights I don’t think are beneficial to (Condit); I think that’s why he lost the decision against Hendricks,” MacDonald said. “I think if that was a five-round fight – you can’t say for sure because it didn’t happen – but I think it was going toward Carlos in that fight if it kept going longer.

“I think Carlos is a more dangerous fighter, personally. Not that Johny’s not (dangerous); he’s great, he’s a top contender, and he was a champion for a reason.”

LINK to full story: Rory MacDonald: ‘More dangerous’ Condit should get title shot over Hendricks | MMAjunkie

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
"I would rather fight Condit so I don't get put on my back over and over again by a national champion wrestler"

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
rory has wanted a rematch with condit for years .he feels like he got humiliated in front of his home crowd and wants to get even

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
"I would rather fight Condit so I don't get put on my back over and over again by a national champion wrestler"
Wait, so he's MORE of a pussy for wanting to fight the guy who definitely beat him just because Hendricks can gassout wrestle?

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Can't say that I blame him for being a pussy. I understand.
C'mon dude, this part of the shit we escaped the other place. You made your point, lets not all go down this path. You think he's scared of Hendricks, people will disagree. Leave that shit over there.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
C'mon dude, this part of the shit we escaped the other place. You made your point, lets not all go down this path. You think he's scared of Hendricks, people will disagree. Leave that shit over there.
Yes, I said he rather fight Condit. Your reply implies I am calling him a "pussy". Perhaps you should choose better words.

Last edited:

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Fair enough I used the word. I'm personally just sick of the ducking claims in MMA.

I brought the word up. It's my bad.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
they were supposed to rematch at ufc 158 but rory got injured

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
"I respect him (Condit) completely, he's one of the guys I respect most in the sport," MacDonald told ESPN. "His outlook and his attitude is great.

"But I feel like I was embarrassed in that fight. I want to prove to myself and the world that I am the better fighter and I want revenge for the embarrassment I felt that night.

"Everyone has their own opinion of the fight, but at the end of the day I lost and was embarrassed. It is what it is. I plan to be the world champ."

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
“I think I’ve improved everywhere, I mean I’ve trained a lot of everything, but I think if I have to pick one thing that’s improved the most it’s probably my wrestling,” MacDonald told BJPenn.Com Radio. “My overall MMA game has changed so much and I’ve added so many different techniques that from where I was when I fought him the first time. I’m just a whole other fighter; I don’t fight anything like I did when we first fought. I just want to do what he did to me; I want to make him feel the embarrassment I felt in front of his family the same way I felt. I want to hurt him the way he hurt me and I don’t want him ever to forget the time that we’re going to be in there for those 15 minutes. I want him to think about that for the rest of his life.”
Exclusive: Rory MacDonald Promises to Embarrass Carlos Condit at UFC 158 | BJPENN.COM

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
From a hardcore mma fan's perspective, I would prefer to see Rory/Condit rather than Hendricks fighting for the title once again. 2 of his last 4 fights have been title fights as the no.1 contender. Let someone else get a shot.

Wrestlefucking Brown to a boring decision like he did against Condit a couple of years ago doesn't make him the no. 1 contender in my eyes. Let him try to wrestle and lay n pray Woodley, a division 1 all american, who's only loss in his last 5 fights is to Rory and he flat out can knock people out. That would be a great fight.