Rory MacDonald was ‘pissed' at past Diaz salaries

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6b3EkzBIe4

Rory MacDonald may be in the midst of a contract dispute with the UFC, but that doesn't mean he is going to begrudge one of his past Octagon opponents for their success.

MacDonald, who in 2011 dominated Nate Diaz at UFC 129, said he was delighted to see Diaz at last score the big payday that had previously eluded him for his stunning second-round upset over Conor McGregor at UFC 196.

"That's awesome. I'm super happy for him, man," MacDonald said Monday on The MMA Hour. "I hope everybody gets paid like that, especially guys who've been around for so long. I've seen a couple of his fight numbers after, and I was absolutely pissed. I was like, how is a guy like this making that money, you know?

"I feel the same way about my fights too. Sometimes I look at the numbers, I'm like, what the f**k, man? How am I getting paid that. So when you hear something like that, it makes you happy for martial artists."

So while MacDonald is presently unsatisfied with his own contract situation, he can still appreciate the success of someone like Diaz for pushing through the tides of shaky contractual waters and emerging out the other side with a sizable check to cash.

"It's definitely becoming a main issue in our sport," MacDonald said. "Guys really want to see themselves get paid. They understand that this isn't forever, and there's no pension after this or anything like that. You've got to make your money while you're in it, so it's a hot topic now."

LINK: Rory MacDonald ‘super happy' to see Nate Diaz making money, was ‘pissed' at past Diaz salaries

Obi-Wan-In-A-Million

I'm the Wan you've been looking for.
Oct 29, 2015
I've always been pretty lukewarm to Rory, but this interview, and a few others lately, combined with the Lawler fight have made me a real fan. I like the guy now. He's always been an amazingly talented fighter, but I've never really had a reason to cheer for him in fights. I must say, I do now.

I initially wanted Thompson to beat him, but now, I'm just hoping for a good fight. Either all my years spent on Kyokushin and Tae Kwon Do as a youth will be vilified, as will most TMAs, if Wonderboy wins and gets a title shot. Or Rory gets his, much deserved, second crack at the belt and a huge contract if he wins.

If Thompson wins, I'm going straight to my mom's attic and getting my old school TMA black belts out. I will tie them together, because I'm twice as big as I was when I was 13, tie them around my waist, and God help any 10" X 12" pine boards I find lying around.... KEEYAAAA!!!!

P

Punch

Glad to see more fighters speaking up for themselves. The cracks in the dam are beginning to widen.

M

member 3289

A fighters' union and a collective bargaining agreement would never allow a 20-fight veteran to make 20/20

Last edited by a moderator:

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
I wasn't a fan of metro Rory. Mostly because I'm still in the closet.

Now that is has become aparant that Rory is all M A N, I couldn't be a bigger fan.

I usually root for the karate guys, but this time I will be rooting for Rory.

Go team good guys!!!

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Pay the fuckin man. He shows up to fight so cut that bloody cheque.

Huge blow to the roster if Rory walks.

salamx1976

Mar 15, 2016
According to
UFC Career Fighter Earnings - MMA Manifesto
Rory Macdonalds career earnings in the UFC is $885,000 . He earned a measly $56,000 in an epic battle against Lawlor that was easily top 5 fights in UFC history. I'd say yeah i would be pissed too that he wasn't earning what he deserves and anyone you throw against conner is getting $500K . Dont get me wrong im glad Diaz made some paper , I just believe all across the board fighters arent getting paid enough.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I had a conversation with Sam Stout the other day about his future plans.

Sam won many FOTNs and was paid decent for his fights and winning didn't hurt either. He also had sponsorships while he was fighting etc.

He was smart with his money and invested a good portion of it and paid into items he would need in the future like his house etc.

While he is very grateful to the places that paid him he is currently looking at what his future employment will look like. He is debating a career in Firefighting and is currently training people and being part of a gym he co-owns.

There is no retirement plan that comes with success though and only the top guys get the big bucks that allow them to never work again.

Don'y forget, after taxes taking their share, training camp costs, etc, it's never as much as you think it is after. Sam is doing ok, but he's the first to say that fighters have to be smart with their income, and plan for after fighting.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Well the "Rory will never be the guy" "he doesn't move needles" "We only want the best" Dana donkey taint talk will be beginning soon for his jock flies to eat up.

I hope this one comes back to bite them with Rory and Benson having a trilogy for the ages.