Roufus: CM Punk’s ‘real beating’ at UFC 203 ‘has been great motivation for him’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

CM Punk’s professional MMA debut at UFC 203 last year was not a memorable one for him. After being submitted by Mickey Gall inside three minutes, the former WWE superstar was not expected to be seen back inside the Octagon.

But just two weeks ago, Punk’s coach Duke Roufus revealed that they are back in training camp, getting ready for the next fight. No date has been specified, but in a recent appearance on UFC Unfiltered, Roufus believes Punk had learned a lot from the previous fight.

“(UFC President Dana White) and the matchmakers had their weekly matchmaking meeting yesterday, and we’ll get some news soon,” Roufus said.…

Roufus: CM Punk’s ‘real beating’ at UFC 203 ‘has been great motivation for him’

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
What did buffer introduce him as?

Cm punk or Phil Brooks?

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
Give him Nganno
You're a sick little monkey...and I like it.

If he loves MMA so much then why doesn't Punk just fight at a regional show? It's not likely that he'll ever be a UFC-level MMA fighter. He can be an announcer while working his way up the ladder.

Last edited:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You're a sick little monkey...and I like it.

If he loves MMA so much then why doesn't Punk just fight at a regional show? He's not likely that he'll ever be a UFC-level MMA fighter. He can be an announcer while working his way up the ladder.
You'd have to be crazy to go for a regional title shot over a UFC jobber if you're in his shoes. He has the opportunity to make lots of money on the big stage win or lose, I don't blame him for staying on track.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
You'd have to be crazy to go for a regional title shot over a UFC jobber if you're in his shoes. He has the opportunity to make lots of money on the big stage win or lose, I don't blame him for staying on track.
I can't believe you or anyone else would condone this guy's presence in the octagon. Him & his fans are crazy if they think he belongs in there with even the worst jobber. Punk is just another transparent UFC marketing scheme. If it's all about $$$, he can work the booth or buy in as another celeb owner.

Maybe next time he takes a beating that requires facial reconstructive surgery, or he catches CTE in one clean shot . But hey, win or lose, it's a big opportunity, right? And you think I'm the one who's crazy. Pfft.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I can't believe you or anyone else would condone this guy's presence in the octagon. Him & his fans are crazy if they think he belongs in there with even the worst jobber. Punk is just another transparent UFC marketing scheme. If it's all about $$$, he can work the booth or buy in as another celeb owner.

Maybe next time he takes a beating that requires facial reconstructive surgery, or he catches CTE in one clean shot . But hey, win or lose, it's a big opportunity, right? And you think I'm the one who's crazy. Pfft.
Oh by no means do I think he belongs in the UFC at all. I'm saying if I were in his shoes I'd continue with the UFC so at least I'm getting paid for getting beat up.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Good on him for continuing to train and sticking with it.
I think that's something that gets lost on most people. It's fun to goof on him but at the same time we have to acknowledge the balls and mental fortitude it took to keep training and actually step into the octagon. I'm sure there were many times when he was going into the gym and getting smashed daily by younger, more talented guys that he said "WTF am I doing here" and 99.9% of people in his shoes probably would have quit.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
Oh by no means do I think he belongs in the UFC at all. I'm saying if I were in his shoes I'd continue with the UFC so at least I'm getting paid for getting beat up.
Fuck that. There are better ways to get paid. And if he does get maimed or brained, it'll cause serious harm to a sport that's already losing viewership.

Look at Anthony Bourdain and how he's developed his BJJ. Or Idris Elba and his kickboxing match. If Punk loves MMA that much, then be smart about it. Don't use your celeb status to star-fuck your way into the octagon. Earn your way there.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Fuck that. There are better ways to get paid. And if he does get maimed or brained, it'll cause serious harm to a sport that's already losing viewership.

Look at Anthony Bourdain and how he's developed his BJJ. Or Idris Elba and his kickboxing match. If Punk loves MMA that much, then be smart about it. Don't use your celeb status to star-fuck your way into the octagon. Earn your way there.
I agree he belongs no where near the UFC but can't blame Punk for taking the opportunity. If we want to blame someone, blame Dana and the UFC for exploiting a guy's fame by putting him in a dangerous position he had no business being in.

Conor McGregor didn't belong in a boxing right with any seasoned pro, much less a Floyd Mayweather, but I can't blame him for taking the opportunity (and the $$$).

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Don't use your celeb status to star-fuck your way into the octagon. Earn your way there.
He's well beyond that now. I agree with your examples and idea but it's too late imo. Maybe his goals are more aimed at biggest $ possible and staying in the spotlight, I have no idea. I'm not a fan of protecting adults from themselves within reason but after his first beating it can't be a mystery what is likely to happen so it's on him.

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
I agree he belongs no where near the UFC but can't blame Punk for taking the opportunity. If we want to blame someone, blame Dana and the UFC for exploiting a guy's fame by putting him in a dangerous position he had no business being in.

Conor McGregor didn't belong in a boxing right with any seasoned pro, much less a Floyd Mayweather, but I can't blame him for taking the opportunity (and the $$$).
I agree that there's plenty of blame to go around. And while you have a point with Conor & Floyd, it's also a bit of a false equivalence. At least Conor's a professional, experienced combat athlete in his prime. Punk is a sports entertainer and a guy with lots of time & money to train. He's also a squid, who's close to 40. Not really the same thing.

Last edited:

soundoff71

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2015
He's well beyond that now. I agree with your examples and idea but it's too late imo. Maybe his goals are more aimed at biggest $ possible and staying in the spotlight, I have no idea. I'm not a fan of protecting adults from themselves within reason but after his first beating it can't be a mystery what is likely to happen so it's on him.
I don't see any mystery at all. If Punk fights someone who earned their way in the cage, we all have a pretty good idea of what's coming. The question is, how bad will it be?

All good, though. Thank you for reminding me why I love this place: you can disagree with someone without being called a cunt or a faggot. We should all be grateful for that.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't see any mystery at all. If Punk fights someone who earned their way in the cage, we all have a pretty good idea of what's coming. The question is, how bad will it be?

All good, though. Thank you for reminding me why I love this place: you can disagree with someone without being called a cunt or a big meanie. We should all be grateful for that.
It's all good man. If Phil hadn't fought yet I'd be agreeing for sure.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015

Marketing scheme, well said. And that comes with a price, just another thing that takes a tiny bit of legitimacy of the UFC and the sport. Any actor could walk up to Dana and Dana would allow the circus to continue. Big money now, but they lose that quick bucks in a slow manner on the long run.

CM Punk got beat down as you'd expect if anyone from the audience would go in there. Did'nt even look close to a fighter, let alone a fight.