Rousey/Cyborg thoughts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm torn. After watching Cyborg cave Tweets nose in last night in 45 seconds, I thought "she is going to fuck Rousey up". 24 hours later, I watch Rousey turn a slick reverse into an even more impressive armbar, and submit an undefeated #1 contender in 14 seconds. So I don't know how this fight would go. Could Ronda work her clinch game and throws on Cyborg? If it stays standing, would Cyborg do what she did that last night? I'm leaning more towards Ronda just being too technically sound and advanced at this point, for Cyborg to beat her.

Thoughts?

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Cyborg would beat any woman alive that weighed less than 180. Rouser is no exception. There's a reason why Rousey is refusing to make a catchweight fight a measly 5 lbs above.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I Wild Each It;n32278 said:
I'm torn. After watching Cyborg cave Tweets nose in last night in 45 seconds, I thought "she is going to fuck Rousey up". 24 hours later, I watch Rousey turn a slick reverse into an even more impressive armbar, and submit an undefeated #1 contender in 14 seconds. So I don't know how this fight would go. Could Ronda work her clinch game and throws on Cyborg? If it stays standing, would Cyborg do what she did that last night? I'm leaning more towards Ronda just being too technically sound and advanced at this point, for Cyborg to beat her.

Thoughts?
Cyborg doesn't have one hitter quitter power and it will get into a clinch situation, all women fights do and once there good luck with Ronda.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I'm not sure how it would go, but I'd rather see it for the belt at 135. If Cyborg beats her she deserves to be called the champ.

pickula

Jan 28, 2015
If it happens at all, it will be at 135, and for the belt. And if it happens, Rousey will win in round 1 and that will be that, the Cyborg myth will be over.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
White spoke for Rousey in saying she wouldn’t hesitate to take a fight with Justino if it is at bantamweight.
“She’ll never say it; I was waiting to see if she would say it in public — she won’t say it in public,” White said. “She asks me all the time. She’s like, ‘I’ll fight her whenever she makes 135.’ She’s got to make the weight. She will fight her in a minute if she makes 135 pounds. She wants to fight her.
“It’s not on Ronda. Ronda’s 135 pounds. She’s the world champion. She’s breaking records. ‘Cyborg’s got to make the weight. Make 135 pounds, and this fight will happen.”

The above shows you the UFC is protecting Ronda. They were so willing to go up to fight Gina who would never make 135 but yet when the idea of 140 for Cyborg comes up, the UFC acts like that never happened and that its 135 or nothing. What would have happened if Gina beat her at 140? Then what? So the idea of sticking on 135 for the Cyborg/Rousey fight only screams that they know Cris cant make it and be her 100%. Typical scumbag promotion covering for their cash cow. If Ronda wanted to fight Cyborg she would have said it. She didnt say it so she doesnt want to fight her. Sorry guys this fight isnt happening.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
WMMA will most likely fade away from the UFC and keep to their own in places like Invicta IMO. Talent pool way to shallow and inconsistant. Ronda is amazing at what she does but I'll never pay to watch. UFC seems to have a hard enough time keeping the casual fan in for the men so I don't see how the women have longevity. The problem is now that Dana was certain women would never fight, then he saw dollar signs in Rousey and is saying the idea as a whole was the best decision ever. If he flip flops again with such certainty he'll look like a bigger clown if that's possible. RR vs Cyborg will more than likely never happen and if it does it'll be the farewell fight for the women as an apex fight so soon into the division is likely to cause a vacuum.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
dacofty;n32330 said:
White spoke for Rousey in saying she wouldn’t hesitate to take a fight with Justino if it is at bantamweight.
“She’ll never say it; I was waiting to see if she would say it in public — she won’t say it in public,” White said. “She asks me all the time. She’s like, ‘I’ll fight her whenever she makes 135.’ She’s got to make the weight. She will fight her in a minute if she makes 135 pounds. She wants to fight her.
“It’s not on Ronda. Ronda’s 135 pounds. She’s the world champion. She’s breaking records. ‘Cyborg’s got to make the weight. Make 135 pounds, and this fight will happen.”

The above shows you the UFC is protecting Ronda. They were so willing to go up to fight Gina who would never make 135 but yet when the idea of 140 for Cyborg comes up, the UFC acts like that never happened and that its 135 or nothing. What would have happened if Gina beat her at 140? Then what? So the idea of sticking on 135 for the Cyborg/Rousey fight only screams that they know Cris cant make it and be her 100%. Typical scumbag promotion covering for their cash cow. If Ronda wanted to fight Cyborg she would have said it. She didnt say it so she doesnt want to fight her. Sorry guys this fight isnt happening.
I don't understand this. Why is it wrong for the UFC to want the fight at 135? They have spent considerable resources building that 135 division and if Ronda moves up in weight to fight Cyborg and loses all that money goes to waste. Ronda then stops being this unstoppable force that draws Hollywood A lister and becomes that girl who had a good run, but got stomped by a juicer. All that is left is Cyborg in a division that doesn't exist and they are back in a situation of a few years ago.

It is all very well to hate on the UFC, but hating on the UFC for making rational choices and deciding to make money off their investments, in a legitimate way, degrades the legitimacy of any warranted criticism they might garner. They have said from the very beginning they would make the fight, if Cyborg shows she can make weight, and it has been Cyborg who has said it would destroy her ability to have babies and even left the UFC to avoid the fight.

Do I think Ronda is clamouring to fight Cyborg, no, and perhaps she is a little intimidated by her, yes, but if the UFC put on that fight she would step up and fight her like anyone else. However, it isn't up to her, it up to the UFC and it doesn't make sense for the fight to happen at any weight other than 135 and that is on Cyborg. If she doesn't want to fight for the only title that matters in women's MMA she can keep fighting undersized women in Invicta for fraction of the amount of money she would make for the Ronda fight.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
^you would usually be right IF RONDA hasn't already cleared out 135z. At this point a catch weight fight doesn't affect her like it maybe did before. Holm would be a good fight in maybe 3-4 more fights for holm till she gets comfortable in thete. Last night holly was so nervous she def didn't fight like herself so to fight RONDA next would be silly imo. 140 makes total sense to me. Biggest WMMA fight since cyborg and Carano

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Pitbull3744;n32357 said:
^you would usually be right IF RONDA hasn't already cleared out 135z. At this point a catch weight fight doesn't affect her like it maybe did before. Holm would be a good fight in maybe 3-4 more fights for holm till she gets comfortable in thete. Last night holly was so nervous she def didn't fight like herself so to fight RONDA next would be silly imo. 140 makes total sense to me. Biggest WMMA fight since cyborg and Carano
And if Cyborg wins a catchweight at 140 what are you going to do? If you think 135 is thin than 145 is a wasteland. Holm didn't quite work out, if that was what the UFC were planning for a next challenger, but there is still Bethe Correia, Jessica Eye and potential rematches with Zingano and Tate to bide the time over until Holm is ready. Besides that Ronda is now on a break to film a movie and will be out for an undetermined amount of time anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Cyborg is the fight to make and it would be the women's mma version of Floyd-Manny, but the reality is that Rousey is the champ and you go to the champ. It makes no sense for the UFC to make that fight at anything other than 135. If Cyborg wants to make money, she will find a way to lose that extra 5 pounds.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
The ball is really in Cyborgs court. Maybe Ronda don't bring her up because she isn't confident she would win at 140. I personally don't think that's it. I think she believes she could beat any female at any weight. I think you have to believe that to be a champ. Ronda brings up girls that are in the ufc because they are in the ufc. Cyborg keeps bringing up a fight with Ronda, if she really wants it make the weight. If she can't make the weight then move on. I want the fight to happen as much as anyone. But it seems clear the ufc isn't going to change their mind on the weight, and I get that. If Cyborg wants to fight Ronda it has to be on UFC terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

cyborg had 3 years to make 135, but did not make any effort.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
There are no legitimate challengers currently at 135 for Ronda, and when you're beating number one contenders in 14 seconds, maybe it's time to challenge yourself by accepting a catchweight fight with the only other female fighter that has even the slightest chance against you. Fedor fought bigger, BJ Penn fought bigger, a 140 catchweight isn't asking that much of Ronda.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Silverball;n32465 said:
There are no legitimate challengers currently at 135 for Ronda, and when you're beating number one contenders in 14 seconds, maybe it's time to challenge yourself by accepting a catchweight fight with the only other female fighter that has even the slightest chance against you. Fedor fought bigger, BJ Penn fought bigger, a 140 catchweight isn't asking that much of Ronda.
You make a valid point. Ronda could move up and fight her at that weight. If the UFC had a 145 division and Cyborg was the champ, she probably would go up and take that challenge. Since there is no division, I think the risk vs reward for the UFC is too high. If Cyborg would beat Ronda, the UFC wants to ensure she has a belt to show for it so they can have future title fights. If Cyborg beat Ronda, you could not sell Tate/McMann/Cat against Cyborg unless there was a belt on the line.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
If the UFC created a 145 pound division, did the whole belt presentation thing the way they did it for Ronda, signed some of the current featherweights competing in Invicta and elsewhere, it wouldn't be long at all before that division was on par with the UFC's current bantamweight division. In fact, I'd wager that a lot of the women currently cutting down to compete at bantamweight would move up to featherweight. If for no other reason than to give themselves a better chance at winning a UFC belt.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Zeph;n32355 said:
I don't understand this. Why is it wrong for the UFC to want the fight at 135? They have spent considerable resources building that 135 division and if Ronda moves up in weight to fight Cyborg and loses all that money goes to waste. Ronda then stops being this unstoppable force that draws Hollywood A lister and becomes that girl who had a good run, but got stomped by a juicer. All that is left is Cyborg in a division that doesn't exist and they are back in a situation of a few years ago.

It is all very well to hate on the UFC, but hating on the UFC for making rational choices and deciding to make money off their investments, in a legitimate way, degrades the legitimacy of any warranted criticism they might garner. They have said from the very beginning they would make the fight, if Cyborg shows she can make weight, and it has been Cyborg who has said it would destroy her ability to have babies and even left the UFC to avoid the fight.

Do I think Ronda is clamouring to fight Cyborg, no, and perhaps she is a little intimidated by her, yes, but if the UFC put on that fight she would step up and fight her like anyone else. However, it isn't up to her, it up to the UFC and it doesn't make sense for the fight to happen at any weight other than 135 and that is on Cyborg. If she doesn't want to fight for the only title that matters in women's MMA she can keep fighting undersized women in Invicta for fraction of the amount of money she would make for the Ronda fight.

Well to go out and try to bring in Gina who hasnt fought in 5 years at a weight of around 140, then state Cyborg has to make 135. Answer me why for one but not the other? simple Gina had no chance but Cyborg would destroy her and by making her move down would limit her. The UFC is a 2 faced organization.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
We can all stop talking about this fight, its not gonna happen. NEVER

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
"Well to go out and try to bring in Gina who hasnt fought in 5 years at a weight of around 140"

Gina had to fight Ronda at 135 also.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Cyborg will punch her into a living death

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
Rousey submits her in the first after Cyborg blitzes and gets dumped on her head. The fight will never happen, though, as these fights never do (Penn/GSP being the exception). GSP never moved up, Silva moved up for mid-tier guys but refused to fight the champ, Jones hasn't done it yet and I doubt he will. Guys like Penn and Hendo are special cases, and it'd be great if more champions had their attitude, but it's also a very high standard to hold.

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
Also still waiting for Cain to step up and prove himself against the Super Hulk Champion, Minowaman.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
MahatmaPetey;n32646 said:
Rousey submits her in the first after Cyborg blitzes and gets dumped on her head. The fight will never happen, though, as these fights never do (Penn/GSP being the exception). GSP never moved up, Silva moved up for mid-tier guys but refused to fight the champ, Jones hasn't done it yet and I doubt he will. Guys like Penn and Hendo are special cases, and it'd be great if more champions had their attitude, but it's also a very high standard to hold.

Call me crazy, but I feel it's the ONLY standard to hold.