Rousey/Cyborg thoughts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
D241;32676 said:
Call me crazy, but I feel it's the ONLY standard to hold.
That's fair, and honestly, Hendo and Penn are my two favorite fighters because of it. But I don't hold it against fighters who don't move up in weight, which is what seems to happen with Rousey far more than any other fighter. GSP got some shit for it, but the hatred for Rousey seems far disproportionate. Especially considering the fight is more in Dana's hands than theirs. If they made a 145 lb division and had Cyborg win the belt, I believe Ronda would fight her at 140 or 145.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
That's fair MahatmaPetey. I do think a big reason the fight isn't happening is b/c of money. not that UFC can't afford to pay either fighter, but can UFC afford to 1-create a 145lb division, and 2-can UFC promote a women's 145lb division?

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

Silverball;n32465 said:
There are no legitimate challengers currently at 135 for Ronda, and when you're beating number one contenders in 14 seconds, maybe it's time to challenge yourself by accepting a catchweight fight with the only other female fighter that has even the slightest chance against you. Fedor fought bigger, BJ Penn fought bigger, a 140 catchweight isn't asking that much of Ronda.
Dana is holding back, not Ronda, she fought at fought at 70 kg (155 pounds) in judo and beat the worldchamp bosch at the olympics.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
dacofty;n32584 said:
Well to go out and try to bring in Gina who hasnt fought in 5 years at a weight of around 140, then state Cyborg has to make 135. Answer me why for one but not the other? simple Gina had no chance but Cyborg would destroy her and by making her move down would limit her. The UFC is a 2 faced organization.
I've not seen anything that said the UFC would make the Gina fight at a catchweight. In fact, I think that was a major hurdle that they couldn't overcome in their negotiations with her.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Carano often had trouble making 140 and 145 pounds so it would be unlikely that she could successfully come down to 135 pounds to challenge Rousey for her belt. However, the "Rowdy" made clear to reporters this week that she'd be willing to move up in weight to make a Rousey vs. Carano super fight reality.
“For Gina, there would be exceptions that I would make for Gina that I wouldn’t for anyone else,” Rousey said.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Yet the fight didn't happen at any weight and the UFC wanting it to happen at 135 was likely one of the stumbling blocks(that and offering Gina peanuts). You have to work within the realities of the situation and the the realities are that the UFC have spent th last few years building up the 135 division and don't want to waste that by having their champion potentially lose at a higher weight and I don't blame them. If Cyborg wants to make money then she will find a way to make weight, otherwise the UFC will continue on making money off Rousey dominating the 135 division.