VID Rousey wins ESPY, rips Mayweather: 'I wonder how Floyd feels being beat by a woman for once'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I disagree. Reporters ask Ronda about Floyd, Tyson, Fedor, Cyborg etc ALL THE TIME. Usually what we call her bringing it up is her answering direct and persistent questions and then them writing up a feature based on the pull quotes.

But in this case, the fact that Floyd was given such a huge platform with his fight and NO ONE brought up his history of DV because they were disallowed from doing so makes it important to spotlight elsewhere. There was one interview with Diane Sawyer or Katie Couric, can't remwmber which, where it was mentioned and Floyd gave a total non-answer and the interviewer just moved on. It was relevant for Ronda to do it here since the two athletes were placed into direct competition for an award.

As one of the premiere female athletes in a combat sport, calling out how the media is able to ignore or gloss over a prominent male athlete's treatment of women is critical.

But, then again, I don't see Ronda dropping the same call outs on Anthony Johnson, Michael Johnson, or her training partner Travis Browne so I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt.
Hod assessment but those MMA guys don't play dumb in not knowing her..then Shaun he couldnt read a paragraph without messing up 20x so he really might know who She is...Who i s Ron-duh? is what he probably keeps sayin lol

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I disagree. Reporters ask Ronda about Floyd, Tyson, Fedor, Cyborg etc ALL THE TIME. Usually what we call her bringing it up is her answering direct and persistent questions and then them writing up a feature based on the pull quotes.

But in this case, the fact that Floyd was given such a huge platform with his fight and NO ONE brought up his history of DV because they were disallowed from doing so makes it important to spotlight elsewhere. There was one interview with Diane Sawyer or Katie Couric, can't remwmber which, where it was mentioned and Floyd gave a total non-answer and the interviewer just moved on. It was relevant for Ronda to do it here since the two athletes were placed into direct competition for an award.

As one of the premiere female athletes in a combat sport, calling out how the media is able to ignore or gloss over a prominent male athlete's treatment of women is critical.

But, then again, I don't see Ronda dropping the same call outs on Anthony Johnson, Michael Johnson, or her training partner Travis Browne so I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt.
I realize she get asked the same questions all the time but she should learn/choose to take control of the interview a little better and not let the media swarm dictate its direction. I've seen her on shows like Jim Rome and she does great but thats not the way it usually goes down.

The non answers from PBF on DV is indeed BS but nobody knows how to muzzle media like the UFC when it comes to hard questions on the fight game. I see your point that they were direct competition but Rondas comment also included her saying something like "I'd like to see you pretend you don't know who I am now..." To me that's the main reason she spoke out. She was insulted that Floyd didn't know who she was during the who can beat up who in a fantasy fight talk so she finally had a chance to throw it in his face. If she actually had a real issue with the DV thing then her comment could've been done MUCH more professional and not ended in her flashing a big smile and sticking her tongue out. If somebody wants to stand up against violence towards women then they need to do so with maturity. She had a look like she just stole the guy her former bff was banging.

Your last paragraph is another great example of why I doubt her really having a problem with the DV thing or at least Flyods, plus she goes on record saying she idolizes Tyson and we know his record.

When she has the full backing of the UFC, is so dominant in her field, making movies, commercials and now winning fan voted awards I just don't get why the teenage attitude still. She is winning in so many ways it would just be nice to see a better representation of herself and MMA and stop the nanabooboo I win stuff.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I realize she get asked the same questions all the time but she should learn/choose to take control of the interview a little better and not let the media swarm dictate its direction. I've seen her on shows like Jim Rome and she does great but thats not the way it usually goes down.

The non answers from PBF on DV is indeed BS but nobody knows how to muzzle media like the UFC when it comes to hard questions on the fight game. I see your point that they were direct competition but Rondas comment also included her saying something like "I'd like to see you pretend you don't know who I am now..." To me that's the main reason she spoke out. She was insulted that Floyd didn't know who she was during the who can beat up who in a fantasy fight talk so she finally had a chance to throw it in his face. If she actually had a real issue with the DV thing then her comment could've been done MUCH more professional and not ended in her flashing a big smile and sticking her tongue out. If somebody wants to stand up against violence towards women then they need to do so with maturity. She had a look like she just stole the guy her former bff was banging.

Your last paragraph is another great example of why I doubt her really having a problem with the DV thing or at least Flyods, plus she goes on record saying she idolizes Tyson and we know his record.

When she has the full backing of the UFC, is so dominant in her field, making movies, commercials and now winning fan voted awards I just don't get why the teenage attitude still. She is winning in so many ways it would just be nice to see a better representation of herself and MMA and stop the nanabooboo I win stuff.
All solid points, but Ronda's comments were the number 1 trending topic on twitter for a few hours, so I'd argue she did herself and the UFC a huge favor by making them.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
All solid points, but Ronda's comments were the number 1 trending topic on twitter for a few hours, so I'd argue she did herself and the UFC a huge favor by making them.
I appreciate you seeing my points but now it's gone to my least favorite cliche in "any publicity is good publicity". Not sure but I bet Jones last incident was trending or at least close to it and I wouldn't consider that good for the UFC. Sorry I don't mean to keep finding an argueing point but I really don't like the thought that no matter if its good or bad reasoning that simply having eyes on the sport is beneficial. She does seem to be getting tons of support and congrats which I love but I'd also love her to raise above the petty BS in a time like this. She won a big award as far as they go and that's 100% a good thing for UFC. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in the minority in criticizing her remarks so over all you're probably right in that she did some good for MMA.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I like that she said it, and I'm not a Ronda fan whatsoever. Fuck Floyd. Do I agree with the UFC (Dana) constantly trying to ride Floyds popularity by saying "Ronda would kill Floyd?" and name dropping Floyd every chance they get? Hell no. It's bush league as hell for the "Super Bowl of MMA' to have to resort to that. But I kinda dig Ronda giving Floyd a jab there...sports media seem to like to sweep the fact that he hit women, under the rug.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
She is getting great positive press for this. Only on mma forums do you find ppl butthurt about Ronda putting Floyd in his place. The media is not allowed to ask Floyd questions that paint him in a negative light. Ronda is the most famous female combat athlete. I almost feel like it's her duty to be the one to stand up for women. She should roast Floyd every time a reporter asks her about him. Fuck that guy.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Eyes were never moist. She could've just as easy said this has nothing to do with Flyod and she's happy that the fans (I'm one as far as her actual fights) showed support and helped her get another milestone added to her career. When somebody is habitually shitty it will eventually catch up to them, see Jones as a perfect example.

It's great to see the MMA world keep getting these types of acknowledgements but I feel when so many are watching its much more important to take the high road as one of the major faces of your sport and show a little more professionalism instead of taking shots at others.
I think most people thought her comment was funny, like some thought Mayweather's comment "I don't know who he is" was. If Conor had said it nobody would care. I wonder what the difference is. Actually I know what the difference is.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just to be clear I'm not a Flyod fan or anything. Everything about her winning is great but my issue is I just don't like to see successful people turn away the high road when the opportunity is there to take it. I don't care who it is whether it's a man or women, boxer or MMA I just prefer it when people do what I would consider the right thing in using some tact. As I said I think Ronda is taking more issue with Flyod comment to her than any DV thing and to me that should be say below her.

P

Punch

I'm beginning to dislike rr's fans just as much as i dislike her.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think most people thought her comment was funny, like some thought Mayweather's comment "I don't know who he is" was. If Conor had said it nobody would care. I wonder what the difference is. Actually I know what the difference is.
Do you think any negative criticism on this issue is based on sexism?

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Just to be clear I'm not a Flyod fan or anything. Everything about her winning is great but my issue is I just don't like to see successful people turn away the high road when the opportunity is there to take it. I don't care who it is whether it's a man or women, boxer or MMA I just prefer it when people do what I would consider the right thing in using some tact. As I said I think Ronda is taking more issue with Flyod comment to her than any DV thing and to me that should be say below her.
I can respect your feelings on the matter. I don't like certain trash talk either when it seems too serious, like when Jones called Cormier a pussy. What Ronda did was more of a back handed slight, which people who don't know Mayweather likes to beat up women won't even get. Also the part where she says "he probably knows me now" was clever. I get the "outrage" from many mma fans though. They don't like Ronda so it's very predictable that as soon as she says something people will show up to critique her words.

I don't agree with you when you say Ronda doesn't have an issue with the DV. She seems like a woman that would take issue with it. It's the Floyd "I don't know who he is" comment that is just fun and lighthearted and normal fighter trash talk and I think it's only being taken seriously by observers.

Also to answer your other question about sexism. Yea, I do think Ronda gets a lot more criticism for saying things that a male fighter would normally get away with. There is an expectation when it comes to women fighters that they have the skills of male fighters but also be feminine, pretty, soft spoken and unopinionated.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I can respect your feelings on the matter. I don't like certain trash talk either when it seems too serious, like when Jones called Cormier a pussy. What Ronda did was more of a back handed slight, which people who don't know Mayweather likes to beat up women won't even get. Also the part where she says "he probably knows me now" was clever. I get the "outrage" from many mma fans though. They don't like Ronda so it's very predictable that as soon as she says something people will show up to critique her words.

I don't agree with you when you say Ronda doesn't have an issue with the DV. She seems like a woman that would take issue with it. It's the Floyd "I don't know who he is" comment that is just fun and lighthearted and normal fighter trash talk and I think it's only being taken seriously by observers.

Also to answer your other question about sexism. Yea, I do think Ronda gets a lot more criticism for saying things that a male fighter would normally get away with. There is an expectation when it comes to women fighters that they have the skills of male fighters but also be feminine, pretty, soft spoken and unopinionated.

Solid post. Tbh I know very little about PBF, not sure how many times the DV thing has come up or whatever. I also agree with you on the Jones pussy comment. I'm in no way voicing my opinion out of a sexist view or at least I don't mean/want to, I'd be making the same comments to anybody who's doing similar things. I'm sure I'm just too optimistic (not the rainbow way fuckers) in thinking that more people can just be nice especially when in the position of a role model. I'll always love guys like GSP, JDS, Sam Alvey, Pat Barry and people who genuinly seem to just love life and not get caught up in negativity as best as possible.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I have no real issue with the award itself, didn't the Kardashian win something as well the same day? That there tells me how serious these awards actuly are. I just don't understand why somebody who is becoming crazy successful can't embrace the good life and take the high road when given opportunities like that. It's like those shitty bands who are still writing songs about getting their heart broken in HS. Get over it, you're on top of the world now.
I'd honestly never heard of them before. So they must be pretty important.

P

Punch

My dislike comes from a place of her just rubbing me the wrong way as a person, not as a female. I have seen in the past -and not on this site- some posters that were offended by her comments of beating up men and it quickly fell into the "he-man woman hater's club" so to a degree, i see what you're saying there Narcosynthesis @Cerberus.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I appreciate you seeing my points but now it's gone to my least favorite cliche in "any publicity is good publicity". Not sure but I bet Jones last incident was trending or at least close to it and I wouldn't consider that good for the UFC. Sorry I don't mean to keep finding an argueing point but I really don't like the thought that no matter if its good or bad reasoning that simply having eyes on the sport is beneficial. She does seem to be getting tons of support and congrats which I love but I'd also love her to raise above the petty BS in a time like this. She won a big award as far as they go and that's 100% a good thing for UFC. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in the minority in criticizing her remarks so over all you're probably right in that she did some good for MMA.
That is a bit of a stretch comparing these comments to a hit and run.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That is a bit of a stretch comparing these comments to a hit and run.
I'm not comparing what was done at all but just saying that any attention is good isn't always correct.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
My issue is that Ronda is a bully. She takes every opportunity to bully someone if she can.
Can I get some examples?
Solid post. Tbh I know very little about PBF, not sure how many times the DV thing has come up or whatever. I also agree with you on the Jones pussy comment. I'm in no way voicing my opinion out of a sexist view or at least I don't mean/want to, I'd be making the same comments to anybody who's doing similar things. I'm sure I'm just too optimistic (not the rainbow way fuckers) in thinking that more people can just be nice especially when in the position of a role model. I'll always love guys like GSP, JDS, Sam Alvey, Pat Barry and people who genuinly seem to just love life and not get caught up in negativity as best as possible.
I get your point and in my personal life I don't let negative people be around me. When it comes to entertainment though, particularly sports entertainment, I want to see conflict and rivalry and I like supreme confidence. Out of the people you've named only GSP reached the top of his sport and stayed there for a long time and he's the only draw as well.

I've met Ronda at a fan signing and she was very polite and came across as just a normal person. She wasn't ranting about Floyd and Cyborg or Mr. Tate. She was more personable than many people I meet in my daily life. I think if people met her they would have a different opinion and be able to separate the reality of business and personal life easier. I think the line is blurred for a lot of people.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Can I get some examples?

I get your point and in my personal life I don't let negative people be around me. When it comes to entertainment though, particularly sports entertainment, I want to see conflict and rivalry and I like supreme confidence. Out of the people you've named only GSP reached the top of his sport and stayed there for a long time and he's the only draw as well.

I've met Ronda at a fan signing and she was very polite and came across as just a normal person. She wasn't ranting about Floyd and Cyborg or Mr. Tate. She was more personable than many people I meet in my daily life. I think if people met her they would have a different opinion and be able to separate the reality of business and personal life easier. I think the line is blurred for a lot of people.
You're experience with Ronda sounds very similar to mine with Conor last week. I was a fan but had some reservations. After seeing him up close and how he is with the fans and how he interacts I'm a big supporter.