Rousimar Palhares Suspended 2 Years by NSAC For Prolonged Submission Hold

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ErikMagraken

Posting Machine
Apr 9, 2015
Originally published here - Rousimar Palhares Suspended 2 Years by NSAC For Prolonged Submission Hold | Combat Sports Law

Today the Nevada State Athletic Commission Suspended Rousimar Palhares 2 years in addition to a $40,000 fine plus legal costs for not promptly releasing a submission hold upon referee direction.

The infraction occurred at World Series of Fighting 22 where then Welterweight Champion Palhares retained his title via kimura submission. He was subsequently stripped of his title by the promoter and temporarily suspended by the NSAC pending today’s hearing.

This is not a first time occurrence for Palhares and his reputation preceded him with the NSAC being specifically concerned that this not occur. This history likely influenced the level of punishment imposed.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Not sure how I feel about this. A part of me feels the last couple incidents were overblown because of past ones that were blatant.

Regardless. One or two times is an accident or misunderstanding. Multiple incidents is a trend.

Hopefully he learns to control his emotions between now and then, and comes back a better sportsman...because the guy is one hell of a fighter.

M

member 3289

Don't expect the outcry that Diaz got.

I don't know what's wrong with Rousimar Palhares. I don't know what's going on in his head. It baffles me that he continues to do the same shit again and again and again.

Mas Macho

Oct 19, 2015
I am glad he was suspended for two years. He is bad for the sport. The blatant eye gouges against Shields were bad.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I am glad he was suspended for two years. He is bad for the sport. The blatant eye gouges against Shields were bad.
Damn forgot about that. I didn't he held he Kimura that long, but the eye gouges were blatant.

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015
Yeah when you repeatedly make mistakes that can potentially end your opponent's career, you need to be held accountable and punished accordingly. I'm cool with a 2 year suspension.

M

member 603

Dammit.... Can we start a White House petition to get him banned for 5 years?

jof

Oct 24, 2015
That sucks. I'm not really talking about the 2 year suspension, but the whole situation. Self-sabotage.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Some busy little beavers over there at the commish. The fine money goes directly to their coffers, right?

Last edited:

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Damn forgot about that. I didn't he held he Kimura that long, but the eye gouges were blatant.
So were the gouges committed by Shields against GSP. It happens. Rousimar shouldn't face any penalty at all as the eye gouges were apparently not mentioned in the sanction? The hold was not excessive. I feel that any submission he completes will be broken down to how much force was used and how many milliseconds it took to release.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
So were the gouges committed by Shields against GSP. It happens. Rousimar shouldn't face any penalty at all as the eye gouges were apparently not mentioned in the sanction? The hold was not excessive. I feel that any submission he completes will be broken down to how much force was used and how many milliseconds it took to release.
This is 100% right. However I don't expect a Free Paul Harris petition to go to the White House.

Bozy

OOHH YOU DIDNT KNOW!?
Feb 22, 2015
I think he's bad for the sport and dangerous for others safety. He's a bad ass man though. Just think he might have been hit too many times?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I think he's bad for the sport and dangerous for others safety. He's a bad ass man though. Just think he might have been hit too many times?
What's Shields suspension for sucker punching a guy after a fight? I'm pretty sure that worse for the sport and the safety or others.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
No, they cough up all revenues to the State who allocate the AC's budget.
Gracias. I suspect that the State will look more favorably, budget-wise, upon any body that manages to draw in lots of money. I'm sure the commission has a benchmark/quota or goal, even if it is purely internal.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Why is it good that a promotions champion just got suspended for 2 years even though he didn't break any rules?

There are unwritten rules in life. In this case sportsmanship, which she clearly seems to be lacking, or can't comprehend. Better now that he gets that message before he breaks someone permanently.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
There are unwritten rules in life. In this case sportsmanship, which she clearly seems to be lacking, or can't comprehend. Better now that he gets that message before he breaks someone permanently.
So we're now suspending guys for breaking unwritten rules? Come on man.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It's just my opinion bro.
I think this fits in the special circumstance category, I don't think we're quite at an epidemic level right now...
I don't think it's ever right to take someone's ability to earn a living when they haven't done anything wrong. It hurts him, the organization he fights for, and the paper champion that inherits his hollow belt. He didn't fail a drug test, he didn't sucker punch someone after the bout was declared over. He fought, and he won. For that he's being rewarded with a 2 year suspension. The punishment should fit the crime, and in this case, there was no crime.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Why is it good that a promotions champion just got suspended for 2 years even though he didn't break any rules?
But he did break rules. The ref himself has diclosed that he held onto that kimura too long after having prolonged explanations in the locker room. After several incidents involving holding submissions too long. While I agree that it isn't good that a promotion's champ gets suspended for two years, it is understandable if said champion has broken the rules, which was determined, that he in fact did.

Not even mentioning the eye gouging that went on that last match.