Roy Nelson got tired of UFC politics: Their title belts 'don't mean (expletive)'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Before joining Bellator, Nelson said he was experiencing the type of feeling lot of people who spend long enough in the same workplace can relate to: as if he was just time-punching. While some deterioration is to be expected in an eight-year relationship, Nelson has some specific gripes with how things were going in his former home.

“The one thing I’ve learned is I’ve gotten beat damn pretty hard with the UFC, where I learned that the belt – I used to love that belt,” Nelson said. “The belts actually meant something. But what I learned about the UFC is that UFC belts don’t mean (expletive). And I mean it doesn’t mean (expletive).

“The reason why is you can come off losses, you can move up four weights, you can be whatever. ‘Oh, we’ve got super fights’ and (expletive) like that. Or, ‘I’m a three-time champion.’ I’m a lightweight and heavyweight and whatever you want to call it and be like, they can make up titles and do whatever.”

One of the things Nelson loves about Bellator is the tournament format, which suited him quite well in his victorious “The Ultimate Fighter 10” run. Considering his candid character, who’s even gotten in trouble for his outbursts, one can see why.

“It takes the politics out,” Nelson said. “I’m just not really good with politics. Politics is really not one of my strong points, and I’ll be the first to admit that. But when it comes to fighting, I know how to fight. And that’s one thing I’m really good at: It’s a straight fight.”

Bellator's Roy Nelson got tired of UFC politics: Their title belts 'don't mean (expletive)'

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
As someone who's been financially impacted by an inability to play politics, I've always had a soft spot for Big Roy and his big, dumb mouth.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I can't say that he's wrong here........but if Dana doesn't like you, you're kind of screwed in that company and Roy dittent do anything to help his cause.

That ultimate fighter scene where Dana says something like "you can't fix dumb" always makes me laugh but also think Dana is a biased cunt for some reason or another against Roy

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
As someone who's been financially impacted by an inability to play politics, I've always had a soft spot for Big Roy and his big, dumb mouth.
Me too. Respected him for sticking to his principles.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
MMAJunkie really needs to change their style guide to keep the curses in. At a certain point reading (expletive) is ridiculous. I think their readership can take it.

M

member 603

MMAJunkie really needs to change their style guide to keep the curses in. At a certain point reading (expletive) is ridiculous. I think their readership can take it.
(EXPLETIVE) YEAH!!!! I TOTALLY (EXPLETIVE) agree......... Oh Son of a (Expletive)

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I'm sure him losing 7 out of the last 10 fights had no impact of him going to Bellator's virtually non-existent HW division.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I can't say that he's wrong here........but if Dana doesn't like you, you're kind of screwed in that company and Roy dittent do anything to help his cause.

That ultimate fighter scene where Dana says something like "you can't fix dumb" always makes me laugh but also think Dana is a biased cunt for some reason or another against Roy
Roy doesn't appeal to the latent homosexual fans, and they're the ones who saved ufc through tuf.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
While I'm usually on board for any anti-UFC rhetoric, Roy is delusional and not very bright, so it's not really worth taking anything he says seriously.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I get what he is trying to say, but I find his statements a little disrespectful to the current champs. It takes a lot to earn one of those belts. It would've sounded better if he at one time was in the possesion of one of those belts, so he could really give an objective opinion.

M

member 603

I get what he is trying to say, but I find his statements a little disrespectful to the current champs. It takes a lot to earn one of those belts. It would've sounded better if he at one time was in the possesion of one of those belts, so he could really give an objective opinion.
Not being argumentative here, because mostly I agree with what you're saying, however while Roy's choice of words leaves a lot to be desired, his point is somewhat vaild. If you look at the current crop of titles, most of the belts are tainted by some controversy. Outside of HW, WW (other than no one wanting to watch Woodley), BW, Fly, WFly, all the other belts have some controversy surrounding them (whether it be controversial decisions where the title didn't change hands, or the champs not fighting top contenders, or something).

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Not being argumentative here, because mostly I agree with what you're saying, however while Roy's choice of words leaves a lot to be desired, his point is somewhat vaild. If you look at the current crop of titles, most of the belts are tainted by some controversy. Outside of HW, WW (other than no one wanting to watch Woodley), BW, Fly, WFly, all the other belts have some controversy surrounding them (whether it be controversial decisions where the title didn't change hands, or the champs not fighting top contenders, or something).
No, good point. But I think the prestige and effort the belt represents for the fighters currently with one of those belts shouldn't be questioned over his beef with Dana and co. I mean, there's a few guys that deserved a shot and didn't get it at the time (Mousassi, Jacare, etc) but in Nelson's situation it is simply not the case.

Can't say DC's belt doesn't mean anything while he himself had little control over what happened. Coming from Nelson it just sounds a little bit sour grapes.

Champions not fighting top contenders, yes I absolutely agree.

M

member 3289

Yeah sometimes those (expletives) confuse the (expletive) out of me because I can't figure out what exactly was (expletive) said.