Royce Gracie open to Matt Hughes rematch: ‘Everybody wants to see this second fight’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

At 50 years of age, retiring from fighting is still far from Royce Gracie’s mind. After facing Ken Shamrock for a third time at Bellator 149 in February 2016, the UFC Hall-of-Famer is looking to resurrect another old match-up of his, this time against Matt Hughes.

"Man, that would be great. That would be great. Everybody wants to see this second fight,” Gracie told MMA Fighting.

The first time Gracie and Hughes fought was when both men headlined UFC 60 in May 2006. Gracie ended up being pounded to a first round stoppage.

The UFC 1 tournament winner admitted to being somewhat absent during the fight itself, and promises a different version of him if the does end up…

Royce Gracie open to Matt Hughes rematch

M

member 603

Here's the thing with Royce..... He'll NEVER say that he won't fight someone..... But I have to doubt that he gets licensed to fight again.... But again, if they offered him that 1.5 million payout, I couldn't be shocked that he'll take it

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
I estimate I run into at least 3 or 4 fair-sized spontaneous "we want Hughes-Gracie 2" rallies in an average day. The movement is like a tidal wave rolling across the country.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Hitting Hughes in the balls won't get him the win like it did against Shammy. Hughes is far superior to Royce at this stage in their lives. He would win the rematch easier than the first fight. Hell, I would rather see Royce vs Ken again before Royce vs Hughes. No interest in this fight, but of course I'll watch if it's on for free.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hoyce needs to practice his kung fu this time around.

I reckon he could modify that teep into a devastating axe kick

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
lol Royce, he has his place in MMA - UFC and really helped revolutionize America / World view of fighting but come on now Royce ...nobody wants to see this fight ....you got obliterated in the first bout and that was over 10 years ago.

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016
Let's be honest, do we really want Royce Gracie to say, "you know I'm old and I don't want to fight." Heck no. If the legend wants to fight a 43 year old Matt Hughes, screw it, let it happen. It's his life.
I'm not saying that's what I want him to do it but it is just who he is. And sad as it may be I will watch.....again.

BJJMMA

John Wayne Man in Johnny Depp World
Jun 7, 2016
Here's the thing with Royce..... He'll NEVER say that he won't fight someone..... But I have to doubt that he gets licensed to fight again.... But again, if they offered him that 1.5 million payout, I couldn't be shocked that he'll take it
Never underestimate the state of Texas

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Royce is good in rematches (aside from the first Ken one). He smashed Ken, beat up Sakuraba and dominated Yoshida.

If nothing else, it would be good to see one of them get bashed.

Juanandonly

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Mar 19, 2016
Newsflash : Hulk Hogan is coming out of retirement to fight Rick flair!! Rick flair currently does not know he will be fighting but so what. He'll probably go for it.

These guys are crazy. Nobody wants to watch this shit