royce on connor macgregor

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
ROYCE GRACIE HAS LOST HIS RESPECT FOR CONOR MCGREGOR
FIGHTLAND BLOG
By Fightland Staff

The thunderous arrival of Notorious Conor McGregor has touched thousands of fans of mixed martial arts. Some love him while others adore and worship him. In Ireland, he’s a god. To the average fan, he’s a powerful athlete with a fantastic skill-set that puts asses on seats and keeps them entertained for the duration of his performance.

Challenger to José Aldo’s featherweight title, Conor McGregor has without a doubt rattled the Brazilian psyche. When in Brazil, he ups his shit-talking game to the point that the audience is no longer just saying funny, kind of awful things to him—when Conor opens his mouth down there, the people start making death threats.

Anyway, McGregor’s a divisive character. Everyone knows that. He's a fantastic fighter. He's also a loudmouth. Everyone’s got an opinion and rarely are those opinions very interesting. Either they dig him or they think he’s a dickhead. But every now and then an interesting character comes out of the woodwork and gives his two cents. This time around, it’s none other than the legend Royce Gracie.

One of the most important names in the history of the sport, this 48-year-old hall of famer and winner of three of the original UFC tournaments thinks Conor McGregor is a dickhead. In fact, he thinks that José Aldo should’ve fucked McGregor up when he snatched the belt from the table.

In an interview with Combate.com, the Gracie icon said that he sees everyone saying that “he’s the most talented, the best, the guy right now, but the way he’s talking now he’s fallen in my eyes. I don’t like it. I lost my respect for him.”

As far as he compatriot’s behavior goes, Gracie commended him, saying that he isn’t against talking trash. He said that McGregor isn’t aware of all the pressure he’s putting on himself by talking all that smack. He said that Aldo is “playing the right game, staying quiet. McGregor is taking Muhammad Ali’s model. He can say whatever he wants but he’s got to prove it. If he doesn’t prove it, his career is going to be short. He’s good, but he didn’t really need to talk all that. Aldo is playing the right game and he’ll prove it in the ring. McGregor is just disrespecting. Guys forget sometimes and lose respect—there’s no need for that. It’s like celebrating. You’re going to celebrate a victory? You’re getting paid for what? To lose? You’re getting paid to win. It’s like a soccer player who celebrates a goal he made and thanks God. You’re celebrating what? They’re paying you to make a goal. You’re doing nothing more than keeping your end of the deal.”

When asked as to who he thought would win the fight, he said “McGregor is good, I like the guy, but he’s fallen a lot in my eyes after the media tour. The other guy is an animal, he’s tough, he’s been champion for years, he doesn’t lose because of this, he knows what he’s doing. Conor is new.”

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Aldo is one of the best mixed martial artists ever and gets paid less than Chael did. Being quiet and respectful might make you friends with your competitors, it doesn't make you friends with your bank manager.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Aldo is one of the best mixed martial artists ever and gets paid less than Chael did. Being quiet and respectful might make you friends with your competitors, it doesn't make you friends with your bank manager.
Shows what a joke the UFC has become imo if that is true and i think it is.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Who wrote that? Seems to fancy Mr. McGregor a wee bit calling him a god and all. Regardless Royce was asked his opinion and he gave it and it won't sit well with many. I like everything about Conor but when he gets super Sonnen like its overbearing IMO.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Conor understands that a fighters window to make money is short, and he's marketing himself to maximize his income in that short amount of time. It doesn't hurt that he tends to back it up in the octagon, and is 5 for 5 in the UFC, with 4 KO's. Times have changed since Royce was fighting back in the 90's. This is a new era of MMA. If Royce has a beef, it should be with Zuffa and their lack of marketing, which forces fighters to go the Sonnen/McGregor path.

Last edited:

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Severely oblivious Rob Lowe... I mean Royce Gracie's lost his hoid fueled hespect? Well what the hell will Conor do now?

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Love Royce. When that legend speaks, I listen. He's earned his stripes. Saku Royce 2 could never have happened and I'd still feel the same about both fighters.

Royce's comparison about winning and celebrating was Awesome! Not much change from his post fight speech, "I'm going to win, there's no doubt. The only question is getting hit, my goal is to get hit least possible". He expects victory, not getting hit is a bonus to be happy about.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Conor understands that a fighters window to make money is short, and he's marketing himself to maximize his income in that short amount of time. It doesn't hurt that he tends to back it up in the octagon, and is 5 for 5 in the UFC, with 4 KO's. Times have changed since Royce was fighting back in the 90's. This is a new era of MMA. If Royce has a beef, it should be with Zuffa and they way their lack of marketing, which forces fighters to go the Sonnen/McGregor path.
I agree here. Having said that it must kill guys like Royce to see the sport/show they built be turned into a TMZ circus act lately and that being the most skilled doesn't really mean as much. Conor and Royce couldn't be more opposite. One brags that he dwarfs or towers his opponents and shits talks his way to a great fight (pretty sure we can agree Edgar and others earned that spot) and the other gladly gave up huge size/weight difference and didn't say a word while finishing guys for peanuts. I don't agree with all that Royce says but I l'll always read with an open mind.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
you are right though, in general. there aren't many gsp's in the world, but i wish more would try.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
yeah, but that was a joke gone wrong, and he apologized after. not really the same thing.
True. He is a good example of a humble fighter getting over. However, he still played up a character, illustrated by wearing his gi to the ring, bodybuilder-esque physique and mild manners, to be the utmost example of a martial artist. Combine that with a nation behind you, not losing a round for a long time, and being one of the beneficiaries of the TUF boom, and you have a very bankable star. A lot went into making GSP the star that he was/is.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
True. He is a good example of a humble fighter getting over. However, he still played up a character, illustrated by wearing his gi to the ring, bodybuilder-esque physique and mild manners to be the utmost example of martial artist. Combine that with a nation behind you, not losing a round for a long time, and being one of the beneficiaries of the TUF boom, and you have a very bankable star. A lot went into making GSP the star that he was/is.
but he got to the point where they were willing to push him, by skill, and not being a disrespectful loud mouth. you can tell by his interviews that he is actually quite shy, and humble. that is no character he played.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
but he got to the point where they were willing to push him, by skill, and not being a disrespectful loud mouth. you can tell by his interviews that he is actually quite shy, and humble. that is no character he played.
Connor Mcgregor is brash and confident, he isn't playing a character either, but it still is a character.

yuushi

Apr 5, 2018
Conor understands that a fighters window to make money is short, and he's marketing himself to maximize his income in that short amount of time. It doesn't hurt that he tends to back it up in the octagon, and is 5 for 5 in the UFC, with 4 KO's. Times have changed since Royce was fighting back in the 90's. This is a new era of MMA. If Royce has a beef, it should be with Zuffa and their lack of marketing, which forces fighters to go the Sonnen/McGregor path.
Problem is, McGregor's actions will at the very least get his suspended for who knows how long from the UFC and possibly get his fight licenses revoked from the major state Athletic Commissions. And we haven't even talked about possible jail time yet.

How does him not being able to fight anywhere, any time soon help him make money?