Royce White , He Got Game

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
Daniel Cormier better watch out ... there's a new guy comin' for the UFC heavyweight belt -- ex-NBA player Royce White!!

The 6'8", 260-pounder announced he's now transitioning to MMA and even has a full-time coach in Minnesota.

In his new book "MMA x NBA," the 27-year-old says he's dead serious about becoming a pro fighter -- and he's got some BIG goals.

“I’m coming for the UFC Heavyweight Crown,” RW told The Last Renaissance.

He's even hooked up with famed MMA coach Greg Nelson -- who has trained UFC stars like Brock Lesnar.

It's an interesting move for White who's been making headlines for years -- both for his athletic talent and his fight with the NBA and Houston Rockets over the way they deal with mental health issues.

White's story is pretty well-known ... after dominating at Iowa State, he was selected 16th overall in the 2012 NBA Draft ... but didn't make his NBA debut until 2014 due to a dispute with the Houston Rockets over his mental health condition.

White was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder in grade school -- he's openly talked about how the condition affects many facets of his life, especially flying.

Royce was drafted by the Rockets and immediately became openly outspoken for mental health awareness in the NBA, a stance he believes strained his relationship with league officials.

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
Royce White, a former NBA Draft first-round selection of the Houston Rockets in 2012, is making the career transition into mixed martial arts, and he has some lofty goals to go along with the move. The 6-foot-8 White revealed to ESPN that he's entering the fight game, and he believes he has all the tools necessary to make this transition a smooth one.

"I'm one of the best athletes in the world," White said. "Among the NBA community, part of my appeal as a draft prospect was my unique size, athleticism, vision and that I probably have one of the 10 biggest set of hands in the NBA. I think all of those things will translate beautifully to the UFC."

In a book White released on Wednesday titled "MMA x NBA: A Critique of Modern Sport in America," White revealed that he's been training in MMA for the past "six or seven months." While promoting the release of his book, White told The Last Renaissance that he has his sights set on becoming the UFC heavyweight champion during this journey.

"I'm coming for the UFC heavyweight crown," White stated.

At this time, White doesn't appear to have a debut fight lined up within the amateur ranks. But if he should begin to make a name for himself on the circuit as an ex-NBA star, it won't be long before Dana White and Co. have the big man on the radar.

Former NBA player Royce White enters MMA, sets sights on UFC heavyweight championship

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Speaking as someone with severe anxiety issues... I'm not so sure that getting punched for a living is a good plan.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Speaking as someone with severe anxiety issues... I'm not so sure that getting punched for a living is a good plan.
Maybe he should be seeking coaching from Karo Parisyan too.
Do you think he even knows who he is bro?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
With maybe 3 more months of training and some retirements he could easily be in the top 5 heavyweights considering the sorry state the division is in.