Society Russia fires on and seizes Ukraine ships, Ukrainian navy says

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Russia fires on and seizes Ukraine ships, Ukrainian navy says
Ukraine's navy says Russia has opened fire and seized three of its vessels off the coast of the annexed Crimea, in a major escalation of tensions.

It said two gunboats and a tug were captured by Russian special forces after a chase. Two Ukrainian crew members were injured.

Russia is yet to comment on the claims.

It earlier accused Ukraine of illegally entering Russian waters, blocking access to the Sea of Azov with a tanker put under a bridge in the Kerch Strait.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko called an urgent meeting of his "war cabinet", his spokesperson said.

Tensions have risen in the seas off the Crimean peninsula - annexed by Russia in 2014 - in recent months.

In a statement, the Ukrainian navy said the Berdyansk and the Nikopol gunboats were hit and disabled as they tried to leave the area.

It said the tug was forced to stop.

Russia earlier scrambled two fighter jets and two helicopters to monitor the Ukrainian vessels.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
"Obama was weak on Russia when they annexed Crimea! This is what happens! Sad! Would not have happened under my watch!"

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Uh oh. Will.be curious to see if America has any sort of financial response
Tensions have been rising in that area recently. The EU has already warned that they would take "targeted measures" if Russian hostility continued. I would certainly think this qualifies as "hostile".

Last edited:
M

member 3289

I'm not like the 75% of this forum that gargle Vlad's balls, but the Ukrainian navy should better know its place.

I get that the country is upset about the illegal occupation/annexation of Crimea, but they're facing a far superior military.

Stop acting like you in NATO, Ukraine. You ain't.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I'm not like the 75% of this forum that gargle Vlad's balls, but the Ukrainian navy should better know its place.

I get that the country is upset about the illegal occupation/annexation of Crimea, but they're facing a far superior military.

Stop acting like you in NATO, Ukraine. You ain't.
Yeah, but Russia is basically blockading the entire eastern portion of their country by not letting vessels through the Kerch Strait.
This is why the Crimean Peninsula was such a big deal. What used to be neutral waters (Azov Sea) aren't so neutral anymore.

Russia wasn't fucking around. They put up a 12 mile bridge with a quickness.

M

member 3289

Yeah, but Russia is basically blockading the entire eastern portion of their country by not letting vessels through the Kerch Strait.
This is why the Crimean Peninsula was such a big deal. What used to be neutral waters (Azov Sea) aren't so neutral anymore.

Russia wasn't fucking around. They put up a 12 mile bridge with a quickness.
They got the biggest dick in that part of ththe world and they're flaunting that motherfucker.

This is how power works

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
They got the biggest dick in that part of ththe world and they're flaunting that motherfucker.

This is how power works
No doubt.
What could get messy is how the rest of the world responds, and how Russia responds to that response.

The area is a pressure cooker right now. It won't take much for shit to go sideways in a hurry.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
"Hey Boris, think you can parallel park that thing directly under the bridge?"

Sure thing, boss.

M

member 3289

No doubt.
What could get messy is how the rest of the world responds, and how Russia responds to that response.

The area is a pressure cooker right now. It won't take much for shit to go sideways in a hurry.
Putin is a lot of things but I don't think he's crazy. He'll flex his military muscle in the former Soviet bloc but I don't see him doing something like this to a NATO member.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
How long before Trump makes a statement condemning the actions of the Ukraine and saying that they're forcing Russia's hand?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Purely coincidental that this happens the same weekend as the Holodomor Memorial Day, or is Putin rubbing some salt in their wounds?

Holodomor - Wikipedia

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
The U.N. Security Council Is Calling an Emergency Meeting Over Russia-Ukraine Tensions
U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley says an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council has been called over the escalating situation between Russia and Ukraine.

Haley tweeted that a meeting has been called for 11 a.m. Monday.

M

member 603

Well, looks like it's about time for me to go get my son out of Kiev from his mother....... In all seriousness, every time I hear about any issues there on American media sources, I ask her and she's like "what are you talking about? Everything is fine here". I was there a couple of years back, and apparently all over American news outlets they were reporting conflicts and protests, my brother called me, I was in a cafe by Independence Square eating lunch, wondering what he was talking about.... All that said, I better get my son from there LOL

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
How long before Trump makes a statement condemning the actions of the Ukraine and saying that they're forcing Russia's hand?
BLAM!

You know it's coming.
"I spoke to Putin. He said he didn't do it. He said very strongly the Ukraine did it, and I believe him. They deserve it. Putin. What a guy."