Society Russian Politicians Seem Nice

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I’m doing the thing where I bridge the gap between you and Gully Foyle @Gully Foyle ’s positions so that hopefully you both think I’m smart
I don't think Gully Foyle @Gully Foyle is some sort of an idiot, I just find that there's a direct correlation between the American gov wanting to go to war, and how awful a dictator Putin is. Personally, I think we need to leave Russia the fuck alone.

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
How do you reconcile Putin being "The most corrupt" and Yelstin asking a foreign government to undermine their electoral process being "absolutely correct" ?

For reference, an American president can be as corrupt as they want, but if they get foreign help they're removed from office.
Communist regime in Russia killed and incarcerated millions and they were using economic decline in the 90s to return to power under guise of a legitimate political party that was going to fix everything that market economy of the 90s unleashed.
Why would anyone allow them to return? Even if it was more stable before 90s they were still totalitarian party that would return the country back behind the iron curtain. If Yelstsin took advice and help from outside it doesn't even compare to what Putin did, which is take all his childhood friends and install them into every key position of power, including state controlled industries.

So your logic says that Putin is better because he doesn't take advice from foreign powers? He is such a strong independent leader? He is number of times more corrupt.

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
I don't think Gully Foyle @Gully Foyle is some sort of an idiot, I just find that there's a direct correlation between the American gov wanting to go to war, and how awful a dictator Putin is. Personally, I think we need to leave Russia the fuck alone.
I think that you see the world as a map with tiny planes and tanks on it, and I see it with millions of people having to suffer corrupt regime under a dictator who kills journalists for fun. Maybe it's why we don't understand each other.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Yeah they hate it, it's organized horribly, and only serves the ruling elite. Decades of corruption syphoned billions and trillions out of the country, money that were supposed to be spend on improving infrastructure, roads, schools, housing.
Sounds familiar.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Why would anyone allow them to return?
Because that's how elections work. If you want a democracy, you're going to get outcomes that some people really don't want. I live in a country where I'm despised by my government. But the majority has spoken and decided that an absurdly corrupt government who doesn't respect the rule of law is what they want. Tough shit for me.

So your logic says that Putin is better because he doesn't take advice from foreign powers?
No, I'm not a binary thinker who believe if one is bad the other must be good. Both are bad albeit for different reason. Putin is essentially a fascist dictator. Yeltsin was an American puppet. Neither are good for Russian democracy in the long term. I wouldn't argue that Putin is better than Yeltsin, but Putin is hardly a new thing. If you look at the last 100 years of Russian leaders, instead of hyper-focusing he's probably like the third "best" even by your own standards

I think there you see the world as a map with tiny planes and tanks on it,
I think you shouldn't make such sweeping assumptions.

Last edited:

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
Because that's how elections work. If you want a democracy, you're going to get outcomes that some people really don't want. I live in a country where I'm despised by my government. But the majority has spoken and decided that an absurdly corrupt government who doesn't respect the rule of law is what they want. Touch shit for me.

No, I'm not a binary thinker who believe if one is bad the other must be good. Both are bad albeit for different reason. Putin is essentially a fascist dictator. Yeltsin was an American puppet. Neither are good for Russian democracy in the long term. I wouldn't argue that Putin is better than Yeltsin, but Putin is hardly a new thing. If you look at the last 100 years of Russian leaders, instead of hyper-focusing he's probably like the third "best" even by your own standards

I think you shouldn't make such sweeping assumptions.
Your comparison of Russian communists to American left is like comparing a tiger to a Chihuahua. And no things are not this black and white, if you had lived there even for a few years you would understand why returning to communism wasn't an option.
Yeltsin was who he was, and not a puppet.
There is nothing redeeming about Putin even if I have a hindsight of 200 years.

The assumptions I make are based on statements youre making.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Your comparison of Russian communists to American left is like comparing a tiger to a Chihuahua. And no things are not this black and white, if you had lived there even for a few years you would understand why returning to communism wasn't an option.
Yeltsin was who he was, and not a puppet.
There is nothing redeeming about Putin even if I have a hindsight of 200 years.

The assumptions I make are based on statements youre making.
I don't live in America, so apparently your assumptions aren't based on statements I'm making.

If you're fine with election tampering as long as it goes the way you want it to, that's fine, but just be honest about it instead of trying to dress it up. I also didn't say there was anything redeeming about Putin, so again, you're not basing it on my statements.

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
I don't live in America, so apparently your assumptions aren't based on statements I'm making.

If you're fine with election tampering as long as it goes the way you want it to, that's fine, but just be honest about it instead of trying to dress it up. I also didn't say there was anything redeeming about Putin, so again, you're not basing it on my statements.
Honestly dude then I don't know what we even discussing here....you not making any clear points just some random observations and whataboutisms.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Honestly dude then I don't know what we even discussing here....you not making any clear points just some random observations and whataboutisms.
You know exactly what points I'm making, they're clear as day. You just don't like them.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
It's frustrating, isn't it. :smile:

Ask him to clarify and expand on one of his own statements sometime. See what happens. ?

??

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I really don't, would you be a dear and summarize for me.
Russian corruption is not in any way, shape or form unique to the Putin regime. Pretending he's an anomaly is disingenuous at best. I've never met a Russian who respected their government institutions and the reason is the same regardless of who was the leader when they left, corruption.

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
It's frustrating, isn't it. :smile:

Ask him to clarify and expand on one of his own statements sometime. See what happens. ?

??
This definitely tires you out, gonna go watch a movie while weekend is still on :expressionless:

How's kiwi life? Fully lockdown to outside travel I presume?

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
Russian corruption is not in any way, shape or form unique to the Putin regime. Pretending he's an anomaly is disingenuous at best. I've never met a Russian who respected their government institutions and the reason is the same regardless of who was the leader when they left, corruption.
Thanks. He is not an anomaly, and not unique, and I never said he was. But he is the main enabler of it. Have you seen the Navalny investigation into his wealth and palace?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
He is not an anomaly, and not unique, and I never said he was. But he is the main enabler of it.
These two concepts can't co-exist. He's either the puppet master, or he's another cog in the corruption machine, but he can't be both.