Society Russian Politicians Seem Nice

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Russian corruption index accelerated after entry of Putin. Would it have done so anyways?

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
Russian corruption index accelerated after entry of Putin. Would it have done so anyways?
He came in as someone claiming he would end it, and he also made alot of claims regarding importance of change of power, meaning free elections etc. But instead he reverted back to his KGB roots. If it was a liberal like Nemtsov or even Yavlinsky it would have been different.

Either way, Putin is literally corruption personified. There is enough politicians in Russia who want to limit executive power and build a transparent judicial system. But these are immediately labeled "foreign agents", discredited and jailed.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
He came in as someone claiming he would end it, and he also made alot of claims regarding importance of change of power, meaning free elections etc. But instead he reverted back to his KGB roots. If it was a liberal like Nemtsov or even Yavlinsky it would have been different.

Either way, Putin is literally corruption personified. There is enough politicians in Russia who want to limit executive power and build a transparent judicial system. But these are immediately labeled "foreign agents", discredited and jailed.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

I'm just some dude at home that finds it interesting but the wiki article on Russian corruption paints a picture of Putin solidifying and changing the states participation in corruption.

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021
I'm just some dude at home that finds it interesting but the wiki article on Russian corruption paints a picture of Putin solidifying and changing the states participation in corruption.

Its really crazy the investigations that FBK have been doing there, yet they are always ignored by Russian government. Or better yet actively punished for investigating.

I think it has become more centralized, where government officials in the highest echelons of power do bidding of large corporations, which are owned by Putin's close friends. So they get all the government contracts without competition. It's just an example.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
How's kiwi life? Fully lockdown to outside travel I presume?
Yeah, not so bad. Bit annoying with the masks and the QR signin codes everywhere, but normal life is pretty much normal. Looking at booking a big house in the country for a fishing/wastrel weekend in March with a dozen friends to celebrate my birthday, so that'll be good if it works out. ?

??

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think it has become more centralized, where government officials in the highest echelons of power do bidding of large corporations, which are owned by Trudeau's close friends. So they get all the government contracts without competition. It's just an example.
i am pretty sure that is how our government works too

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
i am pretty sure that is how our government works too
I'm pretty sure that's the way it inevitably works in all administrative entities which rule over land masses the size of continents and populations in the tens or hundreds of millions. We are all working in systems designed and run by selfish, greedy human beings, after all.

??

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Putin is both not special in the way that most Russian leaders were corrupt, but also special in the way he went about it.

Not sure how that is hard to grasp or even why it would be impossible BeardOfKnowledge @BeardOfKnowledge.
You also started this discussion rather unfortunate by putting words into Gully Foyle @Gully Foyle's mouth that he never uttered or meant. It's a little irritating.

Maybe just let it go this time, I don't think you are that far apart in understanding of the situation.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Putin is both not special in the way that most Russian leaders were corrupt, but also special in the way he went about it.

Not sure how that is hard to grasp or even why it would be impossible BeardOfKnowledge @BeardOfKnowledge.
You also started this discussion rather unfortunate by putting words into Gully Foyle @Gully Foyle's mouth that he never uttered or meant. It's a little irritating.

Maybe just let it go this time, I don't think you are that far apart in understanding of the situation.
The interaction was let go by both parties 12 hours ago. Stop shit stirring.

Gully Foyle

Jun 16, 2021

Don't sweat it, was my own fault for replying to him.