General Sailing ships to make a comeback?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
OK, so technically they may be wings rather than sails, but could this be the future of ocean going transport?

There's a Swedish consortium who think so. The ship will have engines as well as the sails to move in and out of port, but apparently will reduce emissions by 90%.

I think the fact that the "sails" are 80 metres (260 ft) tall, on top of the 20m ship which gives a total of 100m (330 ft), and can only be lowered by 30m (100 ft), means there will be some limitations on where it can dock. Interesting concept though.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
that fucker will be sitting on the bottom of the sea the first time it goes thru a storm

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Those are ejectable sails, with warheads on the end with a guidance system that shoots asteroids.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
OK, so technically they may be wings rather than sails, but could this be the future of ocean going transport?

There's a Swedish consortium who think so. The ship will have engines as well as the sails to move in and out of port, but apparently will reduce emissions by 90%.

I think the fact that the "sails" are 80 metres (260 ft) tall, on top of the 20m ship which gives a total of 100m (330 ft), and can only be lowered by 30m (100 ft), means there will be some limitations on where it can dock. Interesting concept though.
Splinty @Splinty looking at that boat from his yacht-Polish_20200912_184915192.png

Animal Chin

Oct 29, 2015
I don't care for this thing

I own a sailboat. It's some primal manly type shit. Not like those faggots up around Mass and Rhode island do. But real man shit

Animal Chin

Oct 29, 2015
Meanies?

We can't say f a g g o t here?

Edit: No you cannot. Sorry for the inconvenience - L

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Lamont Cranston @Lamont Cranston what do you make of this?
As someone who sails I have to say that power boats have greatly dumbed down water navigation and understanding of it. People now just think they can turn a key and go. This in itself is sad but understandable because as we seek to make things easier we lose the skills we gained getting there.

Sailing is and should be an active process to understand and respect the water but many who don't understand it secretly fear it.

As far as this ship goes, I have seen a few of these as prototypes and it has long been something that people have tried to push forward. Often these types of sails can be "reefed" (lowered) somewhat or be allowed to move with the wind to deal with storms. This would deal with the problem of being over powered. As well, the design of sailboats differs from regular boats in how the weight is carried and how it works with a keel.

Sails on a boat are simply like an airplane wing for the most part so this is a logical extension or step towards a more industrial build. You could not have flexible materials that would carry a ship this big without huge tension, ripping, etc problems. So you have more solid type sails.

Overall, this is another prototype and we won't see these used on the regular but they are cool to check out and will continue to push our seafaring skills not only forward but also backward as we re-learn what we forgot.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
As someone who sails I have to say that power boats have greatly dumbed down water navigation and understanding of it. People now just think they can turn a key and go. This in itself is sad but understandable because as we seek to make things easier we lose the skills we gained getting there.

Sailing is and should be an active process to understand and respect the water but many who don't understand it secretly fear it.

As far as this ship goes, I have seen a few of these as prototypes and it has long been something that people have tried to push forward. Often these types of sails can be "reefed" (lowered) somewhat or be allowed to move with the wind to deal with storms. This would deal with the problem of being over powered. As well, the design of sailboats differs from regular boats in how the weight is carried and how it works with a keel.

Sails on a boat are simply like an airplane wing for the most part so this is a logical extension or step towards a more industrial build. You could not have flexible materials that would carry a ship this big without huge tension, ripping, etc problems. So you have more solid type sails.

Overall, this is another prototype and we won't see these used on the regular but they are cool to check out and will continue to push our seafaring skills not only forward but also backward as we re-learn what we forgot.
Thank you for the knowledge

I knew you would have some great input because of your experience

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
we have a lot of them in long beach for the rich folks they flex on us poors by using shittier technology in their boats.

IMG_20200911_113858_625.jpg