Sakakibara announces name of new promotion which will feature a Grand Prix, Fedor, Aoki & Pride rule

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Sakakibara has just announced the name of his new promotion that will take debut on NYE with Fedor on the card. The new promotion will be called “Rizin fighting federation” and will have huge promotional partners in KSW, Jungle Fight, Bellator and BAMMA bringing some of the world’s best fighters from some of the best promotions together in one massive night of fights. During the press conference Sakakibara admitted he regretted selling PRIDE and is going to make efforts for ten years to bring MMA to the top in Japan, however, could not promise exceeding the UFC.

Speaking at the press conference Jon Slusser of SPIKE TV confirmed that there will be two nights of fights both of which will be aired on SPIKE TV, the events will also be aired in on Fuji TV in Asia as well. The event will also hold a Grand Prix with the winner receiving $500,000. Following all of the announcements Sakakibara then confirmed Sakuraba will be meet Shinya Aoki at the event which will be officially titled as “RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND-PRIX 2015”. Some of the other competitors on the night will be Rena Kubota and Gabi Garcia. Unfortunately they did not announce an opponent for Fedor ,however, it is official that the show will be held under PRIDE rules.

Sakakibara announces the name of his new promotion which will feature a Grand Prix, Fedor, Aoki and PRIDE rules | MMA Latest

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I wonder if guys like Barnett, Heath, Cro Cop, Josh T, Kawajiri, Hunt and many more are looking at this thinking it would be a blast to get back into a PRIDE like setting.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Look at this another way. A fighter can sign with ANY of these organizations and fight for them all.

Another reason fighters should think long and hard about going to the UFC

Hired Gun

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm not big on the name either but what they along with the other organizations are doing is great for them, the fighters, the sport and the fans.

Apr 3, 2015
a) 1 - 0 Indian jobber vs the GOAT

b) shitty new name with zero appeal or interest

c) Pride Rules??? meh, I can get that from ONE FC with better fighters.

yeah, they are doing great things :rolleyes:.

I honestly think they could not fuck this up any more than they have.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
thats like watching a dodge neon get built and saying "wait until you see the final product man, you're going to shit".

if its built out of shit then its nothing but a big pile of it.
Everything ok man? Seem a little on edge....

I'm going to also wait to see before making any harsh judgement in either direction. I'm happy that there's another option around the corner whosdoing things different though. Of they fail then so be it, if they succeed this will be good for MMA as a whole IMO so I'm rooting for the best outcome for RFF.

Apr 3, 2015
Everything ok man? Seem a little on edge....

I'm going to also wait to see before making any harsh judgement in either direction. I'm happy that there's another option around the corner whosdoing things different though. Of they fail then so be it, if they succeed this will be good for MMA as a whole IMO so I'm rooting for the best outcome for RFF.
everything is fine man. just super disappointed with all of these announcements. I really dont see this taking off at all. they botch the Fedor fight, they botch the name of the organization, they have zero "name" fighters and the ones they do have are old as fuck with zero appeal. I dont want to see Saku fight again, the guy is one punch away from eating through a straw the rest of his life.....and I feel this is just a waste of time and money just to try and get the MMA fanbases nostalgia up. my bullshit meter is going off the charts, in such a way that is usually reserved for the UFC.

Apr 3, 2015
like shit, even if they come back and are like "my bad, we thought that indian chump was a good fit, we were wrong and are working on a new opponent"

we see right through you, 80% of the mma fanbase you burned with that shoddy matchmaking.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
everything is fine man. just super disappointed with all of these announcements. I really dont see this taking off at all. they botch the Fedor fight, they botch the name of the organization, they have zero "name" fighters and the ones they do have are old as fuck with zero appeal. I dont want to see Saku fight again, the guy is one punch away from eating through a straw the rest of his life.....and I feel this is just a waste of time and money just to try and get the MMA fanbases nostalgia up. my bullshit meter is going off the charts, in such a way that is usually reserved for the UFC.
I understand I guess. Im just choosing to not roast these guys before the first show gas evem started. Maybe they have a decent strategy and need to lean on the names that worked for them yeRs ago to get attention then build from there with new or current talent? I got no idea, not many do outside their group I'd guess to.

I'd say the odds aren't in their favor but I'll be tuning in 100% and see how this plays out with an open mind.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
like shit, even if they come back and are like "my bad, we thought that indian chump was a good fit, we were wrong and are working on a new opponent"

we see right through you, 80% of the mma fanbase you burned with that shoddy matchmaking.
I thinking guys like Saku and Fedor are basically using thier name to help out the promotion and I'm sure they are aware that being looked at as the best in their weight class isn't the goal.

Apr 3, 2015
I thinking guys like Saku and Fedor are basically using thier name to help out the promotion and I'm sure they are aware that being looked at as the best in their weight class isn't the goal.
imo, they are running their name through the mud....well, not so much Saku since he is fighting Aoki, but the Fedor fight is a slap in the face of every mma fan out there.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
imo, they are running their name through the mud....well, not so much Saku since he is fighting Aoki, but the Fedor fight is a slap in the face of every mma fan out there.
For myself I'm not feeling slapped in the face at all. Fedor has nothing more to prove to me so if he can get a great payday while trying to help set the stage for another MMA org then I'm fine with that.

Hired Gun

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
They have to build up revenue. You cannot have the cost like the old Pride cards had right off the jump unless you have Yakuza money backing them and that's what brought Pride down. Sky TV, Viacom and Indian TV money will be damn good to help build them up. Keep in mind this in not a ppv so there's no buy money just guaranteed contracted TV cash.

If you look past this its not going to pick up where Pride left off but could be down the road, you should be backing it 100%.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
a) 1 - 0 Indian jobber vs the GOAT

b) shitty new name with zero appeal or interest

c) Pride Rules??? meh, I can get that from ONE FC with better fighters.

yeah, they are doing great things :rolleyes:.

I honestly think they could not fuck this up any more than they have.
Honestly the name doesn't matter, and who Effie fights doesn't matter to us in the us anyway, they aren't trying to please the west as much as they are the east. That is what everyone in the us can't seem to grasp.

Apr 3, 2015
Honestly the name doesn't matter, and who Effie fights doesn't matter to us in the us anyway, they aren't trying to please the west as much as they are the east. That is what everyone in the us can't seem to grasp.
so a no name indian fighter on a losing streak is the best way to please the "east"??

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
so a no name indian fighter on a losing streak is the best way to please the "east"??
Jaideep Singh is an accomplished kickboxer. That said, it is a shitty fight to put together, since he is 1-0 against some can in India and will get subbed quick by Fedor. It's like having a great racing driver come back, but he's racing a motorbike racer whose been forced into driving a car.

Last edited:

Kinosis

May 26, 2015
They haven't announced who Fedor's opponent is. You can't go off of internet rumors. If you do that than the organization is called Samurai. For all anyone knows, this indian kickboxer is just someone they are trying to get for the HW tournament. Even if Fedor does fight him, it doesn't bother me. The guy has good stand up and destroyed Kharitonov on the feet in under 3 minutes.

It's Fedor's first fight back in 3.5 years and he just turned 39 years old. I don't expect him to be fighting Werdum and fedor said he wanted a warm up fight first to test himself out and see how he feels.