Sakakibara: Fedor's opponent will mean something for future of MMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Between 1997 and 2007, Pride Fighting Championships was an undeniable force in mixed martial arts. The promotion's inception came about as an excuse to match Gracie family champion Rickson Gracie and famous Japanese pro-wrestler Nobuhiko Takada. Eventually, the promotion became on of the largest sporting entities in Japan and an international thorn in the UFC's backside until 2006.

In 2015, Pride FC is no more. More than eight years have passed since the promotion's last event. Nevertheless, former boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara made an emphatic return to the MMA community when it was announced that he had signed the legendary Fedor Emelianenko to headline the inaugural show of his new (unnamed) Japanese promotion.

The decision came as a surprise to many, as few were aware that Sakakibara was working on a new promotion in Japan, and most hoped that the Russian heavyweight would finally sign with the UFC. However, according to Sakakibara, Fedor was a necessary variable in the overall equation.

"I am extremely pleased to be able to introduce a new platform for mixed martial arts in Japan," Sakakibara told rsport.ru. "And it is a great honor for me that Fedor chose our organization for his return. I think we will be able to create a great show."

Sakakibara refused to offer the name of his new promotion, or even hint at the opponent that Fedor would face upon his return.

"The name of the opponent is not currently confirmed, but Fedor said he was willing to go against anyone. Now we have a lot of fighters from around the world who would like to challenge Fedor. But we would like to select a fighter who will mean something for the future of mixed martial arts."

LINK: Former Pride FC boss: Fedor's opponent will mean something for future of MMA - Bloody Elbow

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bwock Wesner
It would be the most watched MMA fight in the history of the sport. I can't see them being able to afford him though...even if Vince & Sakakibara were able to work something out, and Brock were to agree.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Now I have a question, an innocent one made in search of knowledge.

Is kimbo bald? Or does he shave his head like that to complete his look? He Mas mighty good hair growing everywhere else it just made me wonder is all

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Now I have a question, an innocent one made in search of knowledge.

Is kimbo bald? Or does he shave his head like that to complete his look? He Mas mighty good hair growing everywhere else it just made me wonder is all
I had to go way back to find a pic of him with hair. Here he is at 17. I think he went bald before he could legally buy alcohol. He has the big nog thing going where they've looked 40 years old for the last 20 years.

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
Probably any Heavyweight in Bellator as a partnership with Sakakibara's promotion. Anybody get confirmation on "Samurai FC" as the name of it?

Sep 27, 2015
It is going 2 be a dream come true 2 see the emperor back in cage just loke crocop but am worried bout their safety it sucked big time seeing those 2 legends getting knocked out but they are warriors so just have 2 wait n see